Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Sad Picture of the Day

Post Thanks / Like

Sad Picture of the Day

I know this is happening all over the cold weather regions. But still had to post. We had our first Michigan snow a few days ago. Don't think they salted the roads, but temps are now regularly in the 30's and the outlook doesn't look any better. So time to accept reality that the driving season is over. Had a great couple days of cruising two weekends ago looking at fall colors. One with my wife, the other by myself. Were great drives, and now that's it until spring. All you warm weather guys can give us cold weather die-hards grief. But other than a wet spring, it was a great driving season with many amazing days. And winter is a great time for building and tinkering.

For me, this year started at the Detroit Autorama with the Roadster in the Ford Performance display. Then we made it to the Texas Spring Meet for the first time. Then London. Then the Woodward Dream Cruise. Then some track time at the Ford Proving Grounds. Saw the other side of the 100 mph mark for the second time. (Not going to admit to the first.) And a whole bunch of club events and just plain cruising around in between. This year, put just over 3,000 miles on the Roadster, which is a new high for me. It continues to amaze and every drive reminded how blessed I am. Next year will be different. Expect some of those miles will be replaced with the Coupe. Will be interesting to compare the two and see what the future will be. In the meantime, today I put conditioner in the fuel (Stabil 360), am changing the oil and filter, will grease the chassis, check the fuel filter (probably replace), and look everything over closely. Already checked a couple of my key spots with witness marks (front upper ball joints, IRS axle nuts, IRS suspension nuts) and nothing has moved. So all good so far. Have a few new stone chips, and may touch those up if I get bored this winter. But for now, will go back down on the Race Ramp FlatStoppers and wait for warmer weather.

Last edited by edwardb; 11-06-2019 at 07:56 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

2. Likes Drezx6r, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even on a lift that car is a beautiful example of what these cars can be. I'm slightly further south of you, but mine went onto the battery tender this last weekend. Like you, I'll have fresh paint to show in the spring. Still plenty of tinkering and powder coating to be done as I modify parts or make them to my own liking. Can't wait to see the coupe. Stay warm and post some pics when you get the car back from paint.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

4. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

Have you ever thought of spending a month or two down South?
    The Mississippi Gulf Coast is a great place to enjoy either of your rides.
    You've got 35 miles of beach front highway to drive between Waveland and Ocean Springs Mississippi.
    If gambling is your thing, you can do that too.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-05-2019 at 01:03 PM.

6. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Paul, it's time...sigh... I REALLY dislike winter and that gets worse every year.

I put mine away after an autocross on September 7th. It wasn't my plan for it to be the last drive of the year but I've just been too busy to take it out. So, I suppose it's safe to say that it has moved for the last time this year and will just gather dust in the house garage until Spring of 2020 (because I'm just kidding myself if I think I'll actually have time to get the parts off of the shelf and make the suspension and brake upgrades I've been threatening to do for the last 5 winters). Total miles for the year was only 667.5.

Did I mention that I REALLY dislike winter?

Jeff

8. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Yeah Paul, it's time...sigh... I REALLY dislike winter and that gets worse every year.
    Did I mention that I REALLY dislike winter?

Jeff
    As a Canadian now living in S.Texas... I can not agree more. Cold SUCKS!! Down here, there is no end of the driving season. Best place to own a roadster.

10. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in North Dakota, don't miss the cold at all.
    Moving to a warm climate made me realize how much winter's suck, could never go back after living in a warmer climate.

Should throw that roadster in the trailer and head down to the coast and cruise there all winter...
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

12. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that you now have time to clean the car and garage, but it seems that you have that covered.

Beautiful car. Nice garage and lift.

14. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jeff. If it helps, you can take mine out in the snow before you paint it this winter. All the panels are powdercoated, so the salt shouldn't cause any problems. Plus, you can turn on the seat heaters if you'd like. Just throwing that out there.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

16. Likes edwardb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdonnel View Post
    Hey Jeff. If it helps, you can take mine out in the snow before you paint it this winter...
    Scott
    Scott,
    Mine has known snow on occasion. If I put the air dam on it's almost like a plow!

Jeff

18. Likes edwardb, Aircontroller, ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great note to mark the passing of time, and the changing of the seasons.

For me with my - uh - leisurely approach to the build process, there's no completed car to put away for the winter. But the family's '52 Studebaker is put away for the season, and none of other outdoor activities of summer are around to distract me. And, with the first real year of empty nester status for my wife and I on the home front, there's plenty of time for the two of us, and still plenty of time for building.

I'm a lifelong Minnesotan, but the winters aren't anything I really look forward to any more. As season for getting back to building, that's another matter. One of my favorite winter scenes is the view of the garage at night, with the lights on, and the 25 ft. path from the back door to the garage. I make that walk without a jacket, whether its 20 above or 20 below, knowing the heater is keeping it at 60F in the garage regardless. Perfect temp for a T shirt and coveralls, and perfect for a late night build session.

I've got longer walks, but I don't know one any more enjoyable than that one, regardless of the season. Happy building!

-- John
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

20. Thanks edwardb, RBachman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Paul,

Your post made me smile and chuckle due to the fact that:
    A.) You put as much effort into your finished product and maintenance as you did on your build thread(s). By the way, I’ve got your 20th Mk4 Edition build (bookmarked) and I’m slowly going through it meticulously. I hope to implement many of the things you did and your attention to detail is second to none! My goal on my build is to strive for that same level as you did on each step in the journey taken. If I can take my time and hopefully somehow come close to the level that you’ve set, then I can smile and be happy! So, let it be known that I’ll be throwing down some future <Likes/Thanks and Comments> too, as I read each of the steps here in the future. So, BIG THANKS goes out to YOU! Thanks for documenting your build and taking it to a level that anyone should want too strive for on their own car.

B.) We here in Colorado, well, it’s been known to snow in the morning and I could still mow my lawn that afternoon. Hehehe. Not laughing at you, but with our wild CO weather that we get in this mid-zone of the country, it's sometime just crazy and you can only sit back and laugh. And I’m not complaining, just stating the facts. I’m actually very happy that the snow doesn’t stay around all winter long, and for that I smile as well.

Anyway, I like so many are waiting to see your Type 65 Coupe completed. I’ve gone through that thread a bit and once again, it didn’t surprise me to see some new ideas you came up with and ways to just give it that extra bit of love that makes your car all that more special! Excellent work on both builds!!! I guess I/we now wait to see what you’ll be doing with that new F9 (a.k.a Romulan) release? HAH! I’m learning to spend other people’s money too I know if I build another car, it too would be the T65C. However, after seeing what they are releasing with the Gen 3 base that makes one go – hmmm…. Stay warm and dry!

Dj

22. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    70 digress here today. Had a great 30 mile cruise in mine!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

24. Likes edwardb, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, I don't know how you guys do it. From late April to about now (October/November) it can be almost unbearable with the heat to actually enjoy an afternoon drive out here. An early morning breakfast run or cars and coffee isn't too bad but anything after noon can really be bad. Our car season is just getting going out here in SoCal. Sorry to see all of you packing them into the garage for hibernation. Just know your brothers & sisters out her on the West coast will be flying the F5R banner for you Paul. Until next driving season.
    Frank

26. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    EdwardB, I don't see a pic sad or otherwise. But I do see Frank's and Jeff's.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    EdwardB, I don't see a pic sad or otherwise. But I do see Frank's and Jeff's.
    Really need to stop using Photobucket... it was there, just sometimes slow to load. I moved it to the forum gallery. Should see it now.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always have trouble with pictures in Photobucket
    Last edited by Garage Guy; 11-13-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has been up on the lift with the cover on for a few weeks now but it sure not clean like yours. It is -20C here this morning about 0 deg F. I will probably move the Coupe under the Roadster to free up the 3rd bay in the garage so the wife's DD can fit in. It's a first world problem when the garage is not high enough to put a 2012 Fusion under one of your toy cars. He says bigger garage, she says fewer cars......
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

31. Likes rezell3d, edwardb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the same boat. I cleaned mine up two weeks ago and put it away on the 4 post lift in my main garage for winter. It does clean up well though.

33. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    44* and cloudy today. Had a nice little drive, wanted to get the oil to temp as I was moving the car into the trailer. Needed to turn the garage into a dining hall for the annual bonfire this Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    He says bigger garage, she says fewer cars......
    David W
    Ahh yes. This rings familiar to me too...
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I cleaned mine up two weeks ago and put it away on the 4 post lift in my main garage for winter. It does clean up well though.

Wow! Great Space! I'm looking for some storage for a couple of vehicles. I could fit 20+ in there!
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I refuse to give in just yet even though Im in the North East. Headed out last weekend and am heading out this coming Sat to cars and coffee and then a Salut to the troops car show. It will be partly sunny hi temp of 42 so probably just above freezing when I head out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    today I put conditioner in the fuel (Stabil 360), am changing ]
    Hi Paul, curious why you use stabil 360 instead of the regular red stuff for winter storage? I have a bottle of each and trying to decide which I should use...
    MK IV Roadster #7999
    Ford Racing 427x; QF 670 Carb; TKO 600; 3.31 Rear End; 3-link; 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Khumo Ecstas (245 front, 315 rear), EPAS Power Steering; Power Brakes; 8/1/19 - Legal in gelcoat!; 12/1/20 - Paint & bodywork in progress! Silver, no black, no red, wait now silver....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CFranks View Post
    Hi Paul, curious why you use stabil 360 instead of the regular red stuff for winter storage? I have a bottle of each and trying to decide which I should use...
    It's what I had on hand and I've used in the past without any issues. Agree the mfg suggests regular red Stabil for longer term storage, and if that's what you have go for it. I think the main point is to add something and run the engine after it's in the tank. So that it's through the whole fuel system. All the gas in our area has ethanol, and the treatment hopefully prevent any issues it causes during storage.

40. Thanks CFranks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's what I had on hand and I've used in the past without any issues. Agree the mfg suggests regular red Stabil for longer term storage.
    Our weather here in the Northwest, isn't so much snow and cold. It is cooler no doubt, but usually nothing the Vintage Air heater can't make up for, along with a pair of gloves, a toque, and a decent jacket. Frosty roads in the morning, and evenings, can also be a deterrent, but it's really the rainy wet weather, that has me parking the roadster over the winter. months. My last drive of the year was November 2nd.

I had used the Stabil product for several years, then switched to the Lucas product at the recommendation of a friend. Can't say I notice any difference, as the roadster being fuel injected, and has always started reliably every spring. Both products say's they're good for six months, and that would pretty well be the absolute limit the roadster would sit, before being driven, and fresh fuel being added..

What I am really wondering about is, which fuel stabilizer product is the best for longer term storage, IE; more then six months? I have an old Malibu, of which I am currently restoring the interior. It had been sitting for about a year without running it. It has old gas in it, although I did add Stabil to it when I parked it. I tried to fire it up recently, it was a no go. It was running good previously. It is also carbed, so that is likely a factor.

Has anyone stored a carbed vehicle longer then a year, with old fuel, and found a fuel stabilizer that worked for that period of time?

IMG_0199.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    28 degrees in upstate NY, and I just got back from a drive. It was great. Sure beats driving in the forester.
    I'll snow board when its below 20. I commute by bicycle year round, through rain wind and snow. I'll take the dog out no matter what the weather's like. Why not drive an open top roadster? Put on a hat, some good gloves, and it couldn't be cozier.
    It's only November. I'm not ready to call it a season just yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I don’t mean to rub it it, but it was 68° on my drive in Houston today. The hot weather is behind us and I am looking forward to 5-6 months of great driving weather!
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    75 in Denver today...I don’t know when I’ll quit for the year.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

45. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    Hey, I don’t mean to rub it it, but it was 68° on my drive in Houston today. The hot weather is behind us and I am looking forward to 5-6 months of great driving weather!
    Same here Phil!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm 78 today, 80 tomorrow, 84, 80, 79, etc etc ... maybe 5” of annual rainfall lol
    Can’t wait to get started on our build..... someday Trade off though is 30 or 40 days straight over a hundred in the summer.... and the worst air quality in the nation.... again

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    SSNK4US

Ya... but don't forget the freezing mornings of 40 to 50 !!!!!!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

49. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah seat heaters for sure!!!! LOL
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    No added jackets, gloves, hats, heated seats, or manly fortitude is going to overcome this. Set a record for 6-inches of snow this early in the season. Thank goodness for snow blowers. Other parts of Michigan, to the west and especially north, typically get way more snow than here in the SE. But enough for me. The Roadster is officially hibernating until spring. Along with the snow plows are the salt trucks. All done. We've had years where I was able to give family rides at the Thanksgiving gathering. Or others that we were done in late October. So never know.

And for you warm weather guys that like to rub it in about driving now, I'm marking my calendar. Come next June/July/August, I'll be back bragging about our great cruising weather while you're inside huddled around the A/C. In all seriousness, I grew up in SoCal, lived in several parts of the country including the midwest and south, and traveled extensively with long stays for business. Short of moving to Hawaii (which doesn't sound bad...) or an island somewhere, weather is always going to be an issue for parts of the year for most of us here in the States. I'm not a huge fan of winter like most. But I handle it better than high heat and/or humidity. Since I do enjoy building, always have had a winter project and make the best of it. Being retired has made it easier too. Cold or snowy out? Just stay in.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-13-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Paul,

I think you should use this picture for your Family's Christmas Card.
    Truly A Winter Wonder Land!

Steve

PS: It was 25 when I left the house and now up to 30 in down town NOLA.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-13-2019 at 08:36 AM.

53. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even Hawaii isn't perfect; it rains (briefly) almost every day. And those islands get small in a hurry.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Paul,

I think you should use this picture for your Family's Christmas Card.
    Truly A Winter Wonder Land!

Steve

PS: It was 25 when I left the house and now up to 30 in down town NOLA.

And to "build," yes (pun intended) on what Steve said. This would take some work on your part, but you could roll your roadster carefully into place and I wouldn't even start it, just roll it out and both dress in the Santa hats and colorful clothing, etc... and snap a pick. I couldn't imagine a more cooler (yep, pun again) picture for a Chistmas CARd to give to friends and family with a snowy setting and your beautiful sleigh? Heck, I'd buy one! Stay warm, Paul!

Dj

Post Thanks / Like
    No added jackets, gloves, hats, heated seats, or manly fortitude is going to overcome this. Set a record for 6-inches of snow this early in the season. Thank goodness for snow blowers. Other parts of Michigan, to the west and especially north, typically get way more snow than here in the SE. But enough for me. The Roadster is officially hibernating until spring. Along with the snow plows are the salt trucks. All done. We've had years where I was able to give family rides at the Thanksgiving gathering. Or others that we were done in late October. So never know.

And for you warm weather guys that like to rub it in about driving now, I'm marking my calendar. Come next June/July/August, I'll be back bragging about our great cruising weather while you're inside huddled around the A/C. In all seriousness, I grew up in SoCal, lived in several parts of the country including the midwest and south, and traveled extensively with long stays for business. Short of moving to Hawaii (which doesn't sound bad...) or an island somewhere, weather is always going to be an issue for parts of the year for most of us here in the States. I'm not a huge fan of winter like most. But I handle it better than high heat and/or humidity. Since I do enjoy building, always have had a winter project and make the best of it. Being retired has made it easier too. Cold or snowy out? Just stay in.
    Yea, I hear you on the bragging in June, July, August. 95° and humid in the Cobra is steamy! I’ve lived in Mass, NH, NY, Conn, Tenn, SoCal(where I built my car) and now Houston. The thing I really miss about SoCal is the great condition of the roads. Urban Houston is like riding a washboard with potholes.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.