Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Mk4 w/Coyote builders. PDM mounting question

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 w/Coyote builders. PDM mounting question

Hi,

For those of you who have Mk4's with Coyote. Has anyone mounted the PDM between the firewall and the dash? Is there any compelling reason not too? Just wondering if there is any other place to put it besides on top of the PS foot box like FF shows.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Mk4 Complete Kit delivered 5/2019, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood F/R, Power steering, Halibrand 17” X 9” Front 17” X 10.5” Rear, Nitto NT555 G2 F/R

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you mean PDB (Power Distribution Box). I don't care for that footbox location either. But I'd be a little reluctant to mount it between the firewall and dash. Depends on where and how, but it has fuses and relays that need to remain reasonably accessible. On the Coyote builds I've done, mounted it on the DS firewall. Plenty of room behind the engine. Doesn't stand out and looks like it belongs there. Easy enough to access if necessary.

Last edited by edwardb; 03-14-2020 at 09:57 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I assume you mean PDB (Power Distribution Box). I don't care for that footbox location either. But I'd be a little reluctant to mount it between the firewall and dash. Depends on where and how, but it has fuses and relays that need to remain reasonably accessible. On the Coyote builds I've done, mounted it on the DS firewall. Plenty of room behind the engine. Doesn't stand out and looks like it belongs there. Easy enough to access if necessary.

Wow, that looks really nice. I thought of that as it seemed to be a natural place for it but I didn't think it would fit or it would be very tight and if it would be easy or not to open and close if needed. My motor is out right now and I was trying to eyeball it from photos and measure based on photos. Currently my fuel regulator is located in that position because I started with the FF instructions for running the fuel lines down the trans tunnel. I nixed that idea and ran hard lines down the PS frame but left the regulator there and ran flex fuel lines to it. I also wanted to put the cut off switch in the same place as you have it. I'll give your solution some very serious thought. Thank you. BTW, your engine bay looks really clean. Nice job.
    Mk4 Complete Kit delivered 5/2019, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood F/R, Power steering, Halibrand 17” X 9” Front 17” X 10.5” Rear, Nitto NT555 G2 F/R

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed edwardB's lead on this one as well. I suppose it may work on the other side of the firewall if you mounted it upside down in the area about where a heater or glove box would go, and then you could reach up under the dash to open it if you needed to access the fuses inside. Any other area behind the dash is going to be completely full as it is with all the wiring. You know it works fine here with little modification to the existing harness and no interference with the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    I followed edwardB's lead on this one as well. I suppose it may work on the other side of the firewall if you mounted it upside down in the area about where a heater or glove box would go, and then you could reach up under the dash to open it if you needed to access the fuses inside. Any other area behind the dash is going to be completely full as it is with all the wiring. You know it works fine here with little modification to the existing harness and no interference with the motor.

Yes, behind the dash is pretty congested as it is. I'll nix the idea of putting it back there. Thanks for the reality check on that. I think I'll lay this all out as you guys have done and see how it goes. I like it. The modifications to my existing install would be minimal. Really just moving the regulator and shortening the fuel lines. Thanks for the feedback.

In addition I was looking at the power cable from the battery (I have the forward mounted battery as well) and routing will be much cleaner the way you guys have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

How did you mount the PDB to the firewall? Rivet nuts or drill and tap the square tube?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tbl100 View Post
    How did you mount the PDB to the firewall? Rivet nuts or drill and tap the square tube?
    There's enough meat there. I drilled and tapped. 1/4"-20 thread.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

8. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Likes tbl100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that where Paul mounted the PDB is the best location. That's where mine is, too. I ran bolts all the way through the 2 inch square tube to mount it. I also mounted my 250 A fuse on the firewall. The mistake I made the first time around was mounting it too close to the PDB so I couldn't get at the fuse box. So if you mount the 250 A fuse above the PDB, please ensure you leave enough room so you don't end up drilling more holes as I did.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

10. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tbl100 View Post
    Hi,

For those of you who have Mk4's with Coyote. Has anyone mounted the PDM between the firewall and the dash? Is there any compelling reason not too? Just wondering if there is any other place to put it besides on top of the PS foot box like FF shows.

Thanks,
    Tim
    I’ll add that it needs to be mounted a little bit higher if you are using the firewall forward mod.

Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

12. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PDU in FFR location

ECU35.jpg

Just as an FYI for you... here's #9365 in the early stages. The PDU is in the FFR location, but I bumped it forward a bit for heater & wiper clearance.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

14. Thanks tbl100 thanked for this post
    Likes tbl100, toadster liked this post