Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Bpe 347 vacuum advance or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bpe 347 vacuum advance or not?

Hey 347 owners. The techs at Blueprint advised me to cap off the vacuum advance and rely totally on mechanical advance. This motor is brand new with the sniper still in learning mode. I'm using a simple bpe hei distributer with no ignition box, nothing fancy here. Please reply if you think disabling vacuum will adversely affect drivability with my hot rod. I built this car to be reliable and I am trying not to cross over into the black art of tuning and maintaining a race car motor. This car will be driven daily. Your advice is appreciated very much.

Also, anything wrong with using standard prestone antifreeze in these aluminum headed motors and radiators?

Thanks,
    Tom

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is an advantage to using the vacuum advance on a mild mannered street car. Usually the vacuum advance set-up for a stock distributor is close enough for most folks but you can get vacuum cans that are adjustable so you can fine tune your vacuum advance if needed. However, if you have a hotter cam you may find the engine runs better without a vacuum advance.

As for the Prestone antifreeze -- been running it for decades and it works well. I buy the pre-mixed version but if you like mixing your own don't use tap water. However, it is not the same as the extended service antifreeze Ford currently uses so you will need to change it more often. And don't mix coolants -- they are not all compatible.

For more info: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/...y-you-need-it/
    Last edited by NAZ; 11-07-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use the vacuum advance on all my BPE engines. Just make sure total advance does not exceed recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    Hey 347 owners. The techs at Blueprint advised me to cap off the vacuum advance and rely totally on mechanical advance. This motor is brand new with the sniper still in learning mode. I'm using a simple bpe hei distributer with no ignition box, nothing fancy here. Please reply if you think disabling vacuum will adversely affect drivability with my hot rod. I built this car to be reliable and I am trying not to cross over into the black art of tuning and maintaining a race car motor. This car will be driven daily. Your advice is appreciated very much.

Also, anything wrong with using standard prestone antifreeze in these aluminum headed motors and radiators?

Thanks,
    Tom
    My BPE 347 was delivered with a vacuum advance hooked up. I wonder what may have changed to cause them to recommend capping it off. I also have the Sniper and simple HEI.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use vacuum advance on street cars.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My thought - if the Sniper is controlling the timing, then cap off the vacuum advance and they should have disabled the mechanical advance in the distributor as well. If not, and the distributor is controlling the timing, then likely having both vacuum and mechanical advance will be appropriate for a standard BPE mild 347.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    As I run EFI stacks I have now opinion on vacuum advances. How ever, on a new engine with aluminum heads and radiator I would not recommend Prestone antifreeze. Use what Ford and almost all new cars use now, Dexcool. It is formulated to protect aluminum, has a better 'wetting' action to help with heat transfer. New car manufacturers do not spend millions on research, then use an inferior product. They have to stand behind their warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    To clarify. The OP is referencing one of the "normal" BluePrint engines. With a Big (GM STYLE) distributor. This engine, and distributor aren't typically purchased for FFR's. The FFR packages use a MSD distributor , and advance curve is completely different on the FFR Packages ( Found on factoryfiveengines.com )
    If you buy the complete Factory Five Package, with the MSD distributor, the only time i advise removing and plugging the Vac advance line is to check base timing at idle, and mechanical advance. After thats verified, plug it back in.
    Running initial break-in w/o the vac advance hooked up can lead to running hot, scorching headers, etc.

when it comes to the BIG HEI's, typically used in heavier muscle car swaps, etc...they could need tuned/adjusted. which you're welcome to do if you know the procedure.

Johnny Mac
    BluePrint Engines
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

9. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Likes BadAsp427 liked this post