Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Diesel engine

Post Thanks / Like

Diesel engine

Ever since the 35 came out I have been secretly building it in my head. I had my engine and trans combo already picked out. That all changed yesterday after I saw a SEMA build. I was planning on using a 1.9 VW TDI ALH with a GM TKO 600. Then I saw a C10 with a Cummins R2.8 with I believe a 10 speed auto. For fun I looked into the R2.8 and saw that it has become more reasonable in price. (Still think it is high but now kinda doable) Now I can't decide on which diesel to use. I would love to hear other's thoughts.

2. Likes ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know Volkswagen makes a great diesel but the TDI isn’t a very good looking motor. The Cummins looks the part. Do looks matter? In a hot rod, absolutely! I also think you will get a better reaction and enjoy car gatherings more if you are talking about a Cummins rather than a VW. Nothing against VW, but Cummins says American power. Either way, the ONLY thing that matters is that you are happy. If you build it, post it please. Love to see it.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Detroit 6V-53. End of conversation

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    TDI

First the plastic engine cover would go. Next would be changing the intake manifold to run the other way. Change over to Water to Air intercooler like the Black Label truck. Build a complete custom air intake. If I do all that ithe will look the part. I figure on able 50+ MPG with the Combo I want to use.

CUMMINS

It is a Cummins. A very small Cummins but still a Cummins. I think it would definitely have the more cool factor. Not much in after market parts compared to the TDI. Only custom part might be the Air Intake. I would be looking at 30-40+ MPG.

Right now the TDI is winning for me but think it would cooler to have a Cummins even if it is a 2.8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both engines will have very similar HP and Torque. The Cummins is rated at 161 HP and torque is 310. The TDI is in the same ballpark. It can be push to about 200HP and 400 Torque. I will probably be in the 130 HP range to get the best all around performer. Cummins R2.8 doesn't have much aftermarket parts as of yet so limited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any thoughts on a reman Cummins 4BT, little brother to the iconic 5.9L 12V million miler?

Post Thanks / Like
    Now your talking Kleiner. Nothing like a Detroit screaming next to your ear.
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to be different, this kind of different will really make a statement:https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2020/06/dotw-680-cid-ottpa-pro-stock-john-deere/?oly_enc_id=1805B0469578D
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    That would DEFINITELY be a statement. Not sure how you would see around the engine to drive but I always like something different from everybody else.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put a turbocharged Rat motor in my ‘35 with almost zero visibility issues. Or weight due to aluminum parts.

What I would be worried about is the weight if you’re talking about a 6V-53.
    1400+ lbs just for the engine, plus flywheel, plus transmission etc, etc. Weight of the base truck would increase by around 80% at least.

I’m not saying don’t do it...my late father was a Detroit Diesel master mechanic and I like diesels. I totally love Detroit’s! But there are always compromises....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sandydoc View Post
    Any thoughts on a reman Cummins 4BT, little brother to the iconic 5.9L 12V million miler?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DBruArRjVM