So I was really excited last week as I got my temp plate and went for a test drive.
Up and down my road first to make sure things were ok. Then on to the open road. Car was making a rattling noise under acceleration so went back home.
Talked to Mark and redid the valve lash.
Two of the valves opened up much farther then the other 14. After new push rods and running a drill on the oil pump to make sure the lifters where pumped up we could not figure out what it was so the top end came off.
Took out the two different acting lifters and they looked great.
Then pulled out another lifter and that showed some major issues. The bottom end that runs on the cam was concave.
Can you find the two good ones in the pic?
So that meant the cam was shot too, sigh....
All the front accessories removed and the cam is out. Now for the new parts.

It was strange too because I drained the oil and opened up the filter before doing all this and did not see any metal parts.

When I got the engine firing many moons ago I had no clue that I had a flat tapped cam. It was all part of an Edelbrock top end kit This needs a zinc additive to make sure it lasts, and that is how it happened. Guess I’m a little disappointed in my engine builder. Would’ve thought that would’ve been a recommendation he would’ve made.
I guess there is a reason he is now out of business.

At least I now know why my engine just was not performing right.
Makes me wonder if my Fast EZ was fine in the end, and it was just the engine acting up....

Why did I think I was going to be able to enjoy my car?

John

F05FDEF6-C0B8-489E-9196-5DD9E896461D.jpg
29758A1D-D58D-49E5-B1FD-E7DFA4B20DC5.jpg
DEE1E804-398E-4A5E-8BB5-D46AC4BCA3C9.jpg
1D88AF6B-A925-4FEE-8926-5996468A6CE0.jpg