Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: RaceDeck garage tiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool RaceDeck garage tiles

Howdy everyone.....

Just wanted to share a little about my purchase with RaceDeck garage tiles.

I made a purchase during the week while SEMA was going.

Someone in this forum messaged me that there’s another company that has similar tiles that are compatible which are cheaper but I opted to do 100% RaceDeck tiles.

I highly recommend that anyone interested in getting their garage looking spiffy, that they go to the garage journal forum.

Make sure you create an account cuz when you call RaceDeck to place an order they’ll need that to give ya a pretty good discount. I ordered with a lady named Jennifer Storm...she was superbly nice and patient.

I designed the tile layout, saved it on their site and got a snapshot for myself. Sent Jenn an email [email protected] and got it going.

They also gave me free shipping for being a vet.

Y’all....I’m so stoked about the tiles....I love this country! Happy Veteran’s Day weekend!

P.S. I’ll post pics as soon as I get the stuff and my act together

Post Thanks / Like
    I have race deck and am very pleased with them. The only thing that caught me by surprise was water drainage. It doesn't on the tiles I have. Just pools and sits there. No big deal, I have a mop in the garage and clean it up when needed. Not a complaint. Just something that never really occurred to me until the first time I parked a wet car in there and was like hmmm there are big puddles of water!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

3. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yup....i thought hard about this. They have the Freeflow tiles but knowing me....it'll be trashed before I would lift them so i can clean up the concrete below them. Lol
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 11-14-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In a wet climate like the Pacific Northwest, I think the freeflow is the way one would have to go. How much a sq ft are we talking?
    Also, I would assume you would still want to put a sealer on the concrete floor?

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had to cover 19 x 20.

I'm not sealing...

Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    In a wet climate like the Pacific Northwest, I think the freeflow is the way one would have to go. How much a sq ft are we talking?
    Also, I would assume you would still want to put a sealer on the concrete floor?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I love mine. Looking to add it to my big outside garage. 1500 sq ft is just hard to justify.

Steven

IMG_2520.jpg

8. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    I had to cover 19 x 20.

I'm not sealing...
    Wondering what the cost is per sq ft, I have a very similar area as you, just under 20x20
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a combo of RaceDeck & GarageDeck in the 40 Watt Garage.
    It's been down about 4-1/2 years, through 4 Minnesota winters, and still looks great.

With all the muck & sand tracked in by the daily driver(s) during winter, I did a grid pattern alternating the vented tiles and solid tiles. Also, the area near the ped-door is all vented (to stomp off snowy boots). The snow melts and drains through, and eventually evaporates.

Word of warning(s):
    - Heed the install instructions and leave the recommended clearances to fixed objects/walls. You'll be amazed at how much the floor shrinks/expands/moves.
    - Don't freak out the 1st hot summer day with the big door raised. The area near the door/sun will heat up and expand MUCH faster than the rest of the floor, and might raise/buckle a bit. It'll level out when the temperature stabilizes.
    - Do not load a car onto a trailer with the drive wheels on the RaceDeck!! Trust me, you'll "unzip" about 50 tiles in .002 seconds and shoot them across the room.

I bought a commercial rag-mop, bucket and wringer, and wet mop the floor a few times a season to keep it clean. Also, about every year and a half I'll "unzip" the floor into (about) 8' x 20' pieces and pull the whole section out and down the driveway... break out the power-washer and clean the accumulated muck off the concrete, then blast the floor sections clean... haul 'em back in , zip 'em back together and I've got a new floor.

This Spring
    042218_01.jpg

After a winter's worth of crud
    042218_02.jpg

Sections unzipped and down the driveway
    042218_03.jpg

A lot of crud accumulates over a year under the floor!
    042218_04.jpg

(Original install day)
    Mrs. Fixit & I had the majority of the field down in about 2 hours! It was all I could do to keep up unboxing sections and tossing them out while she stomped them down. (A rubber mallet really helps with stubborn pieces)

RaceDeck03.jpg RaceDeck05s.jpg RaceDeck08.jpg RaceDeck13s.jpg
    Last edited by Fixit; 11-10-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

11. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had them for 6 years now. I like them except on dry days I can get a static shock form walking on them when I touch metal. Other than that I like them a lot.

891BCAF0-373D-40C7-B75F-8596C109D083_1_105_c.jpeg

13. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used Racedeck flooring for a number of years now, and highly recommend it. Installed it wall-to-wall in the 20x20 garage at our previous house. Then picked it all up and put down in half of our current 4-car garage. Had to buy some more pieces, but most of it is the original. I'm surprised how well it's held up with several builds, engine stands, shop cranes, etc. I used the Garage Forum discount as the first poster mentioned, and they have always been great to work with. In our other garage, where DD's were frequently parked on it, I did use the free flow style where the tires would be to help with drainage. They work OK, but agree needed to be cleaned up underneath occasionally. Which isn't hard to do. Also found they aren't as good where you're actually working. The ridges aren't very nice to your knees or whatever. I don't have any in my current setup because we don't park our DD on that side. Just the toy cars, and they usually don't have ice and snow (and salt) dripping off of them. One hint I read about on the Garage Forum was to install the tiles over landscape fabric. The stuff used for weed barriers and available at HD, Lowes, etc. It's not expensive. Gives the floor a bit of cushion and eliminates squeaking etc. as you walk on it. X2 on following the instructions and leaving a gap around the edges.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

15. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t have the race deck flooring, but a slightly lesser grade of plastic flooring made by the same company SnapLock Industries. Absolutely love the floor. Have had it for three years and looks brand new.

2A6673D1-A293-4B8D-B9C5-8A8FBADD4E5B.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They were quoting me between $3.49 and $3.79 psf.

Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Wondering what the cost is per sq ft, I have a very similar area as you, just under 20x20

18. Thanks CTHiker52 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It looks really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jkviper View Post
    I don’t have the race deck flooring, but a slightly lesser grade of plastic flooring made by the same company SnapLock Industries. Absolutely love the floor. Have had it for three years and looks brand new.

2A6673D1-A293-4B8D-B9C5-8A8FBADD4E5B.jpeg

20. Thanks Jkviper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow!

Thank you for the pics and details.

I’ll never miss the sight of the bare concrete floor!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    I did a combo of RaceDeck & GarageDeck in the 40 Watt Garage.
    It's been down about 4-1/2 years, through 4 Minnesota winters, and still looks great.

With all the muck & sand tracked in by the daily driver(s) during winter, I did a grid pattern alternating the vented tiles and solid tiles. Also, the area near the ped-door is all vented (to stomp off snowy boots). The snow melts and drains through, and eventually evaporates.

Word of warning(s):
    - Heed the install instructions and leave the recommended clearances to fixed objects/walls. You'll be amazed at how much the floor shrinks/expands/moves.
    - Don't freak out the 1st hot summer day with the big door raised. The area near the door/sun will heat up and expand MUCH faster than the rest of the floor, and might raise/buckle a bit. It'll level out when the temperature stabilizes.
    - Do not load a car onto a trailer with the drive wheels on the RaceDeck!! Trust me, you'll "unzip" about 50 tiles in .002 seconds and shoot them across the room.

I bought a commercial rag-mop, bucket and wringer, and wet mop the floor a few times a season to keep it clean. Also, about every year and a half I'll "unzip" the floor into (about) 8' x 20' pieces and pull the whole section out and down the driveway... break out the power-washer and clean the accumulated muck off the concrete, then blast the floor sections clean... haul 'em back in , zip 'em back together and I've got a new floor.

This Spring
    042218_01.jpg

After a winter's worth of crud
    042218_02.jpg

Sections unzipped and down the driveway
    042218_03.jpg

A lot of crud accumulates over a year under the floor!
    042218_04.jpg

(Original install day)
    Mrs. Fixit & I had the majority of the field down in about 2 hours! It was all I could do to keep up unboxing sections and tossing them out while she stomped them down. (A rubber mallet really helps with stubborn pieces)

RaceDeck03.jpg RaceDeck05s.jpg RaceDeck08.jpg RaceDeck13s.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ohhhhhhhh snap!

Weed barriers?! Nice! I’ll keep it in mind! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I've used Racedeck flooring for a number of years now, and highly recommend it. Installed it wall-to-wall in the 20x20 garage at our previous house. Then picked it all up and put down in half of our current 4-car garage. Had to buy some more pieces, but most of it is the original. I'm surprised how well it's held up with several builds, engine stands, shop cranes, etc. I used the Garage Forum discount as the first poster mentioned, and they have always been great to work with. In our other garage, where DD's were frequently parked on it, I did use the free flow style where the tires would be to help with drainage. They work OK, but agree needed to be cleaned up underneath occasionally. Which isn't hard to do. Also found they aren't as good where you're actually working. The ridges aren't very nice to your knees or whatever. I don't have any in my current setup because we don't park our DD on that side. Just the toy cars, and they usually don't have ice and snow (and salt) dripping off of them. One hint I read about on the Garage Forum was to install the tiles over landscape fabric. The stuff used for weed barriers and available at HD, Lowes, etc. It's not expensive. Gives the floor a bit of cushion and eliminates squeaking etc. as you walk on it. X2 on following the instructions and leaving a gap around the edges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There are dry days in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I had them for 6 years now. I like them except on dry days I can get a static shock form walking on them when I touch metal. Other than that I like them a lot.

891BCAF0-373D-40C7-B75F-8596C109D083_1_105_c.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those are the shiny tiles right?

Ohhh what’s that called.....Tuffshield right?

Quote Originally Posted by Topfuelhydro View Post
    I love mine. Looking to add it to my big outside garage. 1500 sq ft is just hard to justify.

Steven

IMG_2520.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they are.

26. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 11-10-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m sold !!! After reading what everyone here had to say about this product and doing a little research on it. In the spring when my build is finished I’m going to gut my garage paint it and get the race deck. I’ve tossed and turned about epoxy saying I’ll just ruin it but the race deck looks durable and if needed you can replace a tile here and there not to mention it’s going to really look cool with my truck sitting on it.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

29. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those tiles have a 20 warranty. As soon as I start laying them down I’ll post pics.

Also, you might wanna try to start inputting your dimensions on the RaceDeck design tool.

It took me forever to come up with a design. Just sayin’....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Robodent View Post
    I’m sold !!! After reading what everyone here had to say about this product and doing a little research on it. In the spring when my build is finished I’m going to gut my garage paint it and get the race deck. I’ve tossed and turned about epoxy saying I’ll just ruin it but the race deck looks durable and if needed you can replace a tile here and there not to mention it’s going to really look cool with my truck sitting on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    but the race deck looks durable and if needed you can replace a tile here and there
    Another word of warning/tip:
    A sharp-edged something, or something with a small "footprint" (read that cheapo jackstand(s), or a floorjack with small wheels,etc.) will dig in and dent/cut the tiles... ask me how I know.
    Solution:
    I went to our local Discount Metals outfit and got a 1/2-dozen squares of about 14" x 14" aluminum plate, 1/8" thick, from their scrap bin. Paid $2 a pound for them. Now it's just a matter of habit to toss those under the car before using the floorjack and setting the jackstands.

Also found they aren't as good where you're actually working. The ridges aren't very nice to your knees or whatever.
    Next time you're at the Garden Center, pick up one of those vinyl-coated foam rubber kneeling pads. I keep two around the shop just for this reason.

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

32. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next time you're at the Garden Center, pick up one of those vinyl-coated foam rubber kneeling pads. I keep two around the shop just for this reason.
    Have 'em and use them frequently. Also actual knee pads, that I use mainly during DIY projects around the house. So agree there are workarounds. Just pointing it out. IMO no reason to use the free flow tiles in areas where they're not actually needed.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

34. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The RaceDeck tiles look great. For kneeling or laying on my back I've found nothing better than either the Husky Liner mat or the very similar BedRug "Track Mat". I have both.
    https://www.huskyliners.com/Garage-Mat
    https://bedrug.com/bedrug-trackmat

Olli

36. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How easily does a creeper or rolling stool go across these tiles?

38. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drezx6r View Post
    How easily does a creeper or rolling stool go across these tiles?
    Creeper rolls great but I don't even use a creeper any more because my shirt and pants slide across the tiles pretty easily. I just grab under the car and pull myself underneath.

Steven

40. Likes Aircontroller, Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Excellent recommendation! Thank you! Will look into that.

Another word of warning/tip:
    A sharp-edged something, or something with a small "footprint" (read that cheapo jackstand(s), or a floorjack with small wheels,etc.) will dig in and dent/cut the tiles... ask me how I know.
    Solution:
    I went to our local Discount Metals outfit and got a 1/2-dozen squares of about 14" x 14" aluminum plate, 1/8" thick, from their scrap bin. Paid $2 a pound for them. Now it's just a matter of habit to toss those under the car before using the floorjack and setting the jackstands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Aaaaalrighty then.....garage tile delivery?.....

CHECK!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 11-13-2019 at 06:59 PM.

43. Likes FlyFactoryFive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let the fun begin!!<br><br>Hint: Stomping those down is a great stress reliever - and a way to get the better 1/2 involved in garage projects. My wife had a great time installing our floor!

45. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to it. I’m gonna field a few recommendations posted here.

Let the fun begin!!<br><br>Hint: Stomping those down is a great stress reliever - and a way to get the better 1/2 involved in garage projects. My wife had a great time installing our floor!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking Unboxing

First impressions are that the colors are really sharp. Haven’t had the chance to do an inventory count yet. I think I better start figuring out what layout to pick.

Oh yeah and emptying the garage......Now that’s gonna go well at the house.....gonna have to spread out everything that’s packed in there already. Yikes!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Went to Lowe's yesterday evening and got some tile matched paint samples. Gotta see how these match on the garage wall.

20191115_042532.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok....I emptied everything I had in the garage as per racedeck recommendations.

Here are my baseline and progress pics...

20191117_145454.jpg

20191117_145451.jpg

20191117_145456.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    More pics....

I fielded a recommendation mentioned above.

20191117_152311.jpg

20191117_161343.jpg

20191117_161349.jpg

20191117_171422.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Feedback on installation:

1. There was no way I could lay down those tiles without my rubber mallet or a flathead screwdriver.

a. That part of the video where you could just step on it didn’t work for me at all. If you did step on it, you would be at risk of the “tooth” that locks to just get jammed when joining to the other tile and then get a gap. Sometimes, that same tooth would let the tile go down so I would use a flathead screwdriver to move it into its place.

2. This was work for a day plus.

a. I emptied my entire garage and had to put a lot of the stuff inside the house. In my case I started at about noon and I still haven’t finished around 9pm. Laying the tiles has not been as easy as dropping and stepping on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

54. Thanks Topfuelhydro thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are on Amazon for $1.99 a tile (same brand) but looks like only one color.

Post Thanks / Like
    That will be cool to tie in the walls. Very creative.