Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: AC System Oil Capacity

Post Thanks / Like

AC System Oil Capacity

Hey guys,

I'm back in the garage after working on my wiring diagram for what seems like forever LOL and decided to pull the AC Compressor off to see if there was any oil in there, glad I did as its empty and even had a nice label I never noticed that said "Oil Must Be Added." After some searching, I found the below numbers and since I have all new components, I'll need to oil each of them. Sorry for all the questions, just want to confirm I'm on the right track.

For the compressor, is the 2 oz to be added to the compressor case on the side of the compressor?

Is there any preference on which opening to fill the accumulator and condenser? Or just the easiest to access?

I'm still a ways off from getting the system closed up, any issue filling it with oil now and just capping everything off?

Accumulator Replacement
    2.0 oz

Compressor Replacement
    2.0 oz

Evaporator Replacement
    2.0 oz

Total System PAG Oil Capacity
    9.0 oz

Post Thanks / Like
    After some more reading on this topic I think I have a handle on this. I found the below link that was pretty useful as well as many posts from the other site. I'll add 2 oz oil to the compressor, 2 oz to the accumulator, and then 1 oz to the condenser. When ready to pressurize and fill the system I'll add another 4 oz pressurized can of oil and should be good to go at 9 oz total.

https://c5.plus.beer/misc/C5%20AC%20...eplacement.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like the proper amount...or close enough to it. The VA instructions, I believe say to add 8oz of oil to the system. I normally don't add any oil to the system (except for adding the 2oz to the compressor if it is a new compressor that ships dry) until right before I vac and charge the system with refrigerant. Same with the AC accumulator.....that has the desiccant in it to absorb moisture, so I normally install that just prior to vac'ing the system down and charging it. I guess for a quick sequence, this is what I do:

1. Make sure compressor has oil in it.
    2. Install new accumulator (make sure you put a thicker O-ring on the suction hose connection that comes from the compressor...the provided thin o-ring will not seal!..NAPA #407107)
    3. Vac the system down as far as it will vac down, close the valves on the AC gauge manifold and let it sit for several hours. If you lose all of your vacuum, you have a leak....at that point I normally just use shop air to pressurize the system and soapy water to check for leaks. If you just lose a little vacuum, that could just be from moisture boiling off, so re-vac, close the gauges again and watch and wait until you can get the system to hold a full vacuum for several hours.
    4. At this point, I pour 8oz of AC oil into a clear cup, remove the hose from the vac pump, put it into the cup of oil, open up only the high side port on the gauge manifold and allow the vac to suck the entire 8 oz of oil into the system.....hold the cup and the hose above the gauges so that all of the oil is also sucked out of the hose and into the system. Of course, there is no way to do this without getting some air into the system because the AC gauge hose is going to be full of air, and I allow it to slurp in some air as it's emptying the oil cup and getting all of the oil sucked out of the hose....so I...
    5. Hook the hose back up to the vac pump and vac the system back down USING ONLY THE LOW SIDE PORT. If you open up the high side port, you are going to vac out all of the oil you just put in! Once you get the system down to full vac again....
    6. Hook up your can of refrigerant, purge the gauge hose to fill the hose with refrigerant and get rid of the air in the hose, hold the can upside down and open up ONLY the high side port. That is going to push the refrigerant right into/thru all of the oil you just put into the system. With full vac in the system, you should be able to get the entire charge into the system thru only the high side port and without running the engine/compressor.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

4. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shane,

Thanks for the rundown on how to charge the AC system. not quite ready to do this step yet but getting really close. Was going to start looking at how everyone did it so again thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane,

Thanks for the rundown Shane, these instructions are going right into my files.