Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Door hinge preparation suggestion.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    Posts
    317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Door hinge preparation suggestion.

    My suggestion. Mark them for drilling, threading, cutting, and take them to a machine shop.
    I had read in previous posts that the door hinges can be a pain. But, that is an understatement.
    After dulling multiple 5/16" high speed drills, two tough steel countersinks (on two holes, eight needed), and breaking a tap in a partially tapped hole, I gave up and found a friendly machine shop.
    For about $50, I could have escaped all the mental anguish, costly bits and countersinks, and cutting off the 1/4 steel to length.
    I let the "Built, not bought" slogan slip a bit on this task.
    And, I haven't even gotten to the fitting and adjustment yet.

    Just thought I'd share.

    Ralph

  2. Thanks Alaskan thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Scurry Texas
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    My suggestion. Mark them for drilling, threading, cutting, and take them to a machine shop.
    I had read in previous posts that the door hinges can be a pain. But, that is an understatement.
    After dulling multiple 5/16" high speed drills, two tough steel countersinks (on two holes, eight needed), and breaking a tap in a partially tapped hole, I gave up and found a friendly machine shop.
    For about $50, I could have escaped all the mental anguish, costly bits and countersinks, and cutting off the 1/4 steel to length.
    I let the "Built, not bought" slogan slip a bit on this task.
    And, I haven't even gotten to the fitting and adjustment yet.

    Just thought I'd share.

    Ralph
    LOL. I agree. I have a cut off saw with diamond blade that made a little easier but went through multiple bits/taps I was not very happy after spending an entire day cutting, drilling, tapping hinges. My 2 cents is this is something that should be supplied in the kit ready to bolt up. Most guys don't have the equipment needed to do this efficiently.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Hampshire, IL
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup I got into this part of my build and struggled. I had to bring them to a buddy’s shop that had a band saw and several drill presses to get it done clean. My opinion is this part of the truck was supplied by an outside vendor that could be retro fitted to many Types of builds. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Scurry Texas
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robodent View Post
    Yup I got into this part of my build and struggled. I had to bring them to a buddy’s shop that had a band saw and several drill presses to get it done clean. My opinion is this part of the truck was supplied by an outside vendor that could be retro fitted to many Types of builds. Rob
    Agreed. IMO for 30K maybe the doors should bolt up? Ive been pretty disappointed in the level of mods, fabrication, modifying required to get this thing put together. Maybe its just me...door and hood/cowl alignment is a joke Probably piss some people off but needs to be said...

  6. #5
    Senior Member FF33rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Agreed. IMO for 30K maybe the doors should bolt up? Ive been pretty disappointed in the level of mods, fabrication, modifying required to get this thing put together. Maybe its just me...door and hood/cowl alignment is a joke Probably piss some people off but needs to be said...
    Yeah, same with the '33. The only kit that is at the level that it should be is the Roadster, everything else still needs work and it kinda ticks me off that FFR is off with Speedstars and other ventures that defocuses them from resolving issues with the current stuff they sell.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, hydraulic clutch, IRS, Foose 18" Wheels, 245 & 315 BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S tires, DRL, power windows, roadster & hard top, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

  7. #6
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    wallace18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alachua, Florida
    Posts
    4,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand some folks frustration with building FFR kits. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. IMO the FFR kits are far better that most other kits out there. Street Beast for one example. Personally I enjoy the challenge of the build. These are not like model cars we bought when we were young and everything just fits perfectly right out of the box. First time builders often have misgivings about how the kit will be put together and the bodywork needed to build one correctly. I get lots of emails and calls by folks that are thinking of building one of these or have me build one for them. I always warn them these are not anything like an OEM car or truck and can be very challengeing to build depending on skill level of builder. I do always tell them they are lots of fun to build if you have the right mindset going in and will be a great source of pride once finished. Like it is said up above. No everything does not fit easy or without some level of massaging. Also without proper tools and practices some things are hard on equipment. I was able to do my 35 hinges with 1 drill and 1 countersink. Slowly and with oil on a drill press. I always say do what works best for you and it will be OK in the long run. There is always more than one way to do things. Once your project is done you will look back and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Asking for help and offering other ways of doing things helps all of us.
    A least it has for me in the past. Keep at it folks it will be worth the pain, LOL. TW
    Last edited by wallace18; 11-10-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Remove misunderstood venting comment.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    Posts
    317
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was not trying to vent in my post, just offer suggestion on a difficult assembly step.

  9. #8
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    wallace18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alachua, Florida
    Posts
    4,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    I was not trying to vent in my post, just offer suggestion on a difficult assembly step.
    I never thought you were. No worries.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Scurry Texas
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    I was not trying to vent in my post, just offer suggestion on a difficult assembly step.
    Think he was referring to my comments. Sorry man. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut after frustrating days

  11. #10
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    wallace18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alachua, Florida
    Posts
    4,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to delete the vent reference. It was not my intent to get under anyone skin but to inspire confidence to move past difficulties. If it was easy everyone would do it, LOL.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Whitehouse TX
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bnelson,

    I agree. I do not think I will build another FFR. Too much variance.

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Scurry Texas
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't misunderstand me. I think this truck will be awesome when completed. I was just saying that I agreed with Ralph that the hinge task is better suited to a machine shop with proper tools, and for the money seems it could be completed and supplied ready to bolt up. The body panels are a serious source of frustration to many as I have been reading. Seems that they cold make an attempt to correct the few issues with the fitment and alignment and make it a whole lot more less frustrating and more enjoyable experience. I cut up and re glassed my cowl in a day so why wouldn't they do the same thing and make new mold so it fits with hood perfectly? On another note I cant say enough about the way they have handled every issue that has come up with my build personally. Their Customer Service is A+ and think these kits well exceed anything out there once completed. That goes a long way in my book. I'm already planing on building a 33 starting in 2021.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Flat Irons Tuning

Visit our community sponsor