Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Grant 3025 Quick Release Hub?

Post Thanks / Like

Grant 3025 Quick Release Hub?

Been lurking and reading posts on quick release steering wheel hubs, but so far I haven't found anything that meets my needs. Like some others I want to avoid welding as much as possible (i.e. at all). I really liked the no-weld setup described in edwardb's build thread, but the modifications are more than I'd like to have to do (although they don't seem too difficult).

After hours and hours of searching, I finally ran across the Grant 3025 quick release hub. The hub is made for fox-body Mustangs which apparently have the "Double D" style shaft— which looks exactly like the FFR supplied shaft, and I assume has the same dimensions? The wheel adapter will need to be modified to fit the 6 bolt vintage pattern, but I think it will just be a simple matter of drilling some extra holes. So, theoretically (as far as I can tell) I should be able to slip the hub directly on to the FFR supplied shaft, drill 6 holes, mount the steering wheel, and be done with it. Famous last words

A few questions:

1. Is anyone aware of different sized "Double D" style steering shafts? As far as I can tell, they all appear to be the same dimensions.
    2. Does anyone have opinions on the quality of Grant quick release steering hubs? A few people say there is quite a bit of slop, but they generally get great reviews.
    3. Does anyone have specific experience with the Grant 3025? On an FFR steering shaft?
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 05-20-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Been lurking and reading posts on quick release steering wheel hubs, but so far I haven't found anything that meets my needs. Like some others I want to avoid welding as much as possible. I really liked the no-weld setup described in edwardb's build thread, but the modifications are more than I'd like to have to do (although they don't seem too difficult).

After hours and hours of searching, I finally ran across the Grant 3025 quick release hub. The hub is made for fox-body Mustangs which apparently have the "Double D" style shaft— which looks exactly like the FFR supplied shaft, and I assume has the same dimensions? The wheel adapter will need to be modified to fit the 6 bolt vintage pattern, but I think it will just be a simple matter of drilling some extra holes. So, theoretically (as far as I can tell) I should be able to slip the hub directly on to the FFR supplied shaft, drill 6 holes, mount the steering wheel, and be done with it. Famous last words

A few questions:

1. Is anyone aware of different sized "Double D" style steering shafts? As far as I can tell, they all appear to be the same dimensions.
    2. Does anyone have opinions on the quality of Grant quick release steering hubs? A few people say there is quite a bit of slop, but they generally get great reviews.
    3. Does anyone have specific experience with the Grant 3025? On an FFR steering shaft?

I don't know if this will help, but I'm using a JEGS quick release that is S.F.I. rated.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60722/10002/-1

We had the spline TIG Welded to the Factory Five standard shaft.

I use a Grant wheel because it fit my hand better that the either of the F-5 wheels which can be viewed in the first 20 seconds of the video shown below:

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GoDadGo! Yeah there are a ton of options out there, but very few that don't require welding. My goal is to stay away from welding if at all possible.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea what column you have, sorry, but if it's any help, I just got this for my ididit/gm column in hotrod. Not sure what your spline is..but this is bolt on and works great. Maybe this with a different inner is available?

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60724/10002/-1
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting... The included steering column shaft on the Coupe is "Double D" type (there is no spline) and it looks like this:

DDSS34-P-2.jpg

Does the hotrod have something different?
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, after digging a little further, it looks like there actually might be a bolt-on NRG short version that might work as well....

http://www.getnrg.com/index.php?rout...product_id=687

Looks like it might be a Double-D shaft as well:

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 12.51.49 PM.png

@edwardb did you happen to look at this one when you did your searching?
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 05-20-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting... The included steering column shaft on the Coupe is "Double D" type (there is no spline) and it looks like this:

DDSS34-P-2.jpg

Does the hotrod have something different?
    Yeah, very different! If I'd have known I would have deleted the column, but until recently I thought all kits came with the GM-style column!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, yeah that is weird! I figured all kits had the Ford Double-D style

Curious why they haven't standardized on one... my guess would be that they want to keep the Mustang donor compatibility alive in the Cobra models. Those Double-D shafts appear to be fairly rare, so I think the GM style shaft would probably be a better option, all things being equal.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason a few of us are using the bolt on version and not the double "D" one is we have a turn signal arm on the hub and the removable steering wheel adaptor attaches to it. If you are not using a self cancelling turn signal there are more options.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    The reason a few of us are using the bolt on version and not the double "D" one is we have a turn signal arm on the hub and the removable steering wheel adaptor attaches to it. If you are not using a self cancelling turn signal there are more options.
    David W
    Interesting. What do you mean by "bolt-on"? Bolt-on to the supplied FFR hub? Or something else? Unless you are running a completely different steering shaft, at some point you have to attach something to the double-d shaft, right? It seems like most of the options out there require you to weld something to the double-d shaft. How does the turn signal system attach to the shaft?
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, after digging a little further, it looks like there actually might be a bolt-on NRG short version that might work as well....

http://www.getnrg.com/index.php?rout...product_id=687

Looks like it might be a Double-D shaft as well:

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 12.51.49 PM.png

@edwardb did you happen to look at this one when you did your searching?
    No I didn't. And as already pointed out, if you're using the Russ Thompson turn signal setup (I am) the options are more limited. That one wouldn't work, for example. The mods required to make the NRG SRK-400 some of are using are really pretty easy. Unlikely you're going to find any adapter that bolts right up to the Factory Five steering wheels. So that's not going to be any different for most. The thread where the NRG SRK-400 adapter was recommended had some fixtures that people were passing around. That's fine, and more power to those using them. But I didn't find that necessary, and maybe makes it sound a little more complicated than it is. Been driving my Coupe as much as the lockdown allows. All the way up to 115 miles on it now (!!) and love how the steering wheel disconnect makes things easier. Mostly for climbing back out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.