FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: HAWK Coupe early winter updates - not quite done - UPDATE (need more fuel now!)

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HAWK Coupe early winter updates - not quite done - UPDATE (need more fuel now!)

Just got back from SEMA and finally slowed down a bit to post some updates.

Pretty much have been driving the car all year! Fantastic chassis for sure and the car hasn't let me down....

About 1 month ago I noticed some oil on the ground by the right tire - figured I would keep an eye on it not sure where it was coming from honestly... a ton of plumbing in the car... About 2 weeks ago I noticed the air filter had a wet look to it...

so I pulled off the filter...

well oil isn't supposed to be there or here:

So I guess the upgrades started early...

off with the turbo: add because I don't do anything half way - yup the other turbo was on its way out too just hadn't leaked to the ground.... so both sides looked like this before SEMA

While the turbos were gone I added a remote adjuster for the brake bias... still going with the aviation theme... this was version 1 - the second one I just changed the font some...

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 05-18-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    And - since in order to do this upgrade I had to drain the intercoolers and remove the driver's side to gain access to the pedals....geez!!! might as well work on the intercooler system

I felt like I needed more volume in the system - in standing traffic in 100*+ weather it was taking a bit to cool the system... so ... I had some extra aluminum around and have never built a tank before....meh... why not!

I took the existing tank and cut the side of it off and just made the tank "longer".... I think it came out pretty good... and since I kept the original tank all the fitting still worked!

Cause of the turbo failure was determined to be the wrong size oil feed restrictor when using these turbos - turns out what I thought were ball bearing turbos are actually "hybrid" turbos .. they have one ball bearing and one journal bearing...

you can see the difference here:

anyway - back from SEMA yesterday and one of the Turbos was here waiting for me.... so ... 1 in and ready!

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice of you to share this will all of us. Like I tell folks these are not OEM cars and will always have something ti tinker with. Glad you are enjoying the ride so much. It is a super example of craftsmanship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wll... the "Erik Factor" as we call it around here was alive and well over the winter!!! I got the turbos back in the car after being rebuilt.... completely went through the setup per the manufacture to ensure that everything was perfect...as pictured looked like we were finally DONE! ... well.. after about 48 HOURS of actual drive time.... the awful sound of metal hitting metal under decel from boost!!!!! got home and sure enough the newly rebuilt driver side turbo - broken again!!! WTF.... pick up the phone and call Magnum Turbos - they are great, they will pretty much contact you 24/7 via text if you leave a message. After a long exchange I sent the driver's side turbo back for inspection...they got the turbo on a Friday- on Monday they had completed their inspection and determined that the turbo had had a catastrophic failure due to an issue from the previous damage that was not easily detectable ... at these speeds we are talking .001 tolerances.

So after some more discussions as they go to try and repair the turbo - it is determined that the turbo ISN'T repairable and it needs to be replaced - cool new turbo... Magnum Turbo Warranties their turbos if you can believe it even if you state you are racing with them (non-professionally)... Dim the lights.... step in the Erik Factor....

The turbos being 3 years old now are no longer made and they are their Gen 1 version.... they would have to get the parts MADE and I could be down for 6 months!?!? To compound that issue - I have 2 TURBOS.... yep so the perfect good pass. turbo will ALSO NEED TO BE REPLACED!!!

Anyway .... I took a day... drank a bit, called Wayne Presley... drank some more... and on the 3rd day I texted Magnum Turbos and said to go ahead and get some turbos that were in the same "family" as the old ones....

my old turbos were 60/63's Journal/ball bearing hybrids, with 3 inch inlet and 2 inch outlet - I also explained to Magnum Turbos that the footprint and format had to be close based on the space constraints... bolt up exhaust flange and such.

Well they tried...

I looked at the specs on the turbos that they sent.... these things are top shelf! Full ceramic bearing, billet wheels, surge inlet, they are also numerically bigger 63/63- but physically SMALLER based on the "gen 3" technology used to design them and build them.

They also gave me the "we are making it right" deal... fire sale discount!! I was in sticker shock and still in awe of how nice these things looked... I missed a few details.... basically the ONLY THING the same when I went to put these in the car is the 4 bolts that bolt the turbo on the flange.... that's it! So ... yes NEW exhaust...to make matters worse in the middle of welding the pass side exhaust... my welder died!... so off to buy a new welder! there are probably about 10 more "son of a $%$#^" things that happened to make this all work... I won't bother with the details as I really don't want to relive it either...

In the end the idle tune all changed...so it took a few days to trial and error to understand the Ford ECU and how to make the car idle correctly (cold start and hot idle) - the turbos are instantly up on boost now and the car is even quicker...I had to relearn how to drive the car - still learning... there is an Autox event coming up at the end of the month - so basically I just driving it... you can tell it wants to run though... anyway... here are the pics of the journey that was more like a sweater string pull.... I think / hope this is all behind me now...

Post Thanks / Like
    back to life:

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 03-07-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Then in all of that.... I had planned to do this when I built the car but wasn't gonna make the SEMA deadline and then I just had too much fun driving it that I didn't want to stop or mess with the car - since it was basically perfect.... well....

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Erik,

I love the nav lights! As always, awesome work on the repairs/upgrades!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    what kind of Db level you getting with those big side pipes?.... considering buying some for my 441 supercharged LSX build

Post Thanks / Like
    Never measured them but I dont blow sound check at scca... but I also have turbos.... i am easily way quieter than stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are cool lights! I like.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... not quite done... I decided to verify the tune with new setup - thought it would be fine - but I guess the car is making boost sooo much earlier and the fuel pump isn't new anymore .... the logs revealed that I am lean under boost above 5500 RPM.... a short discussion with Wayne last week (over a couple days) and then test run just looking at fuel pressure..... sure enough.... need a bigger pump...it never ends ... lol...

anyway - parts should be here this week.... pictures to follow

Step one - install garden hose pick up - was a -6an pickup now -10an

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 05-18-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow ... that's some serious plumbing, Erik!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Mo Flo

Be good to get this monster well supplied!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    The BIG pump showed up today.... now I need to find some place to put it.... it is quite a piece....