Fuel Safe Systems

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: HAWK Coupe early winter updates

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HAWK Coupe early winter updates

Just got back from SEMA and finally slowed down a bit to post some updates.

Pretty much have been driving the car all year! Fantastic chassis for sure and the car hasn't let me down....

About 1 month ago I noticed some oil on the ground by the right tire - figured I would keep an eye on it not sure where it was coming from honestly... a ton of plumbing in the car... About 2 weeks ago I noticed the air filter had a wet look to it...

so I pulled off the filter...

well oil isn't supposed to be there or here:

So I guess the upgrades started early...

off with the turbo: add because I don't do anything half way - yup the other turbo was on its way out too just hadn't leaked to the ground.... so both sides looked like this before SEMA

While the turbos were gone I added a remote adjuster for the brake bias... still going with the aviation theme... this was version 1 - the second one I just changed the font some...

FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And - since in order to do this upgrade I had to drain the intercoolers and remove the driver's side to gain access to the pedals....geez!!! might as well work on the intercooler system

I felt like I needed more volume in the system - in standing traffic in 100*+ weather it was taking a bit to cool the system... so ... I had some extra aluminum around and have never built a tank before....meh... why not!

I took the existing tank and cut the side of it off and just made the tank "longer".... I think it came out pretty good... and since I kept the original tank all the fitting still worked!

Cause of the turbo failure was determined to be the wrong size oil feed restrictor when using these turbos - turns out what I thought were ball bearing turbos are actually "hybrid" turbos .. they have one ball bearing and one journal bearing...

you can see the difference here:

anyway - back from SEMA yesterday and one of the Turbos was here waiting for me.... so ... 1 in and ready!

FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice of you to share this will all of us. Like I tell folks these are not OEM cars and will always have something ti tinker with. Glad you are enjoying the ride so much. It is a super example of craftsmanship.