Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New Guy.....Planning/ Scheming/ Dreaming

Post Thanks / Like

New Guy.....Planning/ Scheming/ Dreaming

Hey all.... New member still in planning / research stage. I'm a big guy and the last time I sat in a cobra kit 20 years ago I didn't fit real well. I'm wondering how "big guys" like myself modify the FFR kit for a little more breathing room.
    I'm also wondering if there are any FFR owners in my local area... I'm in The Villages/ Lady Lake, FL area.

Thanks

I look forward to many hours of reading about car builds.

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your first look was 20 years ago, plenty has changed. Namely, dropped foot boxes, different seat choices, etc. I too sat in one about 2007 and when the rep from FFR tried to close the door for me, he crushed my knee because I couldn't extend my leg. That being said, I've owned a Mk 3.1 and built a Mk 4. My 6'1" and 205 lbs fits with no problems. While you won't be able to stretch your legs like a daily driver, it's definitely doable. Best recommendation is find a local owner like you're trying to do so you can do a test fit. If you don't fit in the FFR model Roadster, there are manufacturers that have stretched the wheelbase. My coworker is assembling one at this current time.

Good Luck
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_scott1999 View Post
    ...I'm a big guy and the last time I sat in a cobra kit 20 years ago I didn't fit real well...
    Welcome! Define "big guy". A few simple mods and wise seat choices will allow many larger drivers to fit.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'2" and my pre-holiday weight about 240. I have short legs and long torso so I'm worried that my line of sight will be right at the wind shield frame. The rear view will probably be of my head sticking up above the roll bar by several inches. I am stoked that there are options to modify because I have dreamed about a cobra since about 14 (1982ish) when I bought my first kit car mag that I hid between my mattresses (lol) only to have my dreams dashed by sitting in one the first time 20 years ago.
    I have been between muscle cars for several years and have caught car fever again. I like the idea of assembling a car with new parts with a limited amount of body and paint as opposed to the project cars I have done in the past. Love classic cars they just become a can of worms or rust. Plus the money for repop panels, trim, and interior.
    I would appreciate any input on buying the donor car kit vs. complete kit. I have tried crunching numbers on things I would upgrade with the entry level kit plus the cost of a suitable donor car it almost seems like the complete kit is worth it. In the end I may have to buy a donor car anyway to source motor-trans-rearend. I don't have the budget to buy dream crate motor, trans, and rear-end.
    Any thoughts or pertinent threads would be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_scott1999 View Post
    Hey all.... New member still in planning / research stage. I'm a big guy and the last time I sat in a cobra kit 20 years ago I didn't fit real well. I'm wondering how "big guys" like myself modify the FFR kit for a little more breathing room.
    I'm also wondering if there are any FFR owners in my local area... I'm in The Villages/ Lady Lake, FL area.

Thanks

I look forward to many hours of reading about car builds.
    Hello and welcome... Reach out to CV2065 (Chad) he is here on the forum and is just a few miles south of you.... He may be willing to let you check out his build and perhaps sit in it. But you'll have to talk to him about that.... :-)

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby