Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Accessport Tune for Hybrid First Start

Post Thanks / Like

Accessport Tune for Hybrid First Start

Ok, so I'm getting ready for the first start on my 2.0 head/2.5L block hybrid build and need some help. I have a new-in-the-box Cobb Accessport and am interested in knowing if there is a base-line tune available for this setup or will I have to go to a custom tuning shop for even my first start? My computer is from a 2003 WRX 2.0 engine. I would really like to be able to get it up and running, check for leaks, go-kart it, etc, before going to the tuning shop for dyno time.

If it's the latter, I am looking at either Turn-In Concepts in Cincy or P&L in Chicago. Any insights would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are stuck getting a custom tune. I have a similar build and ended up getting a brake in tune from a local shop for around $50. Idle wanders a little on cold start but otherwise seems to run well. Its rev limit and boost limit are set very low, but works fine for sorting things out. A few different shops told me I should get 1,000 miles on it before getting it tuned on a dyno. Up to 725 so far, but I think today was the last drive before winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm currently running a very similar hybrid setup - 2.0 heads/2.5 sti block but with a 2002 wrx ECU. The main thing I had to do for driveability was just tune my injector size with a tactrix cable but you can do the same thing with an accessport. I'm running 824cc injectors. Otherwise, it runs and drives fine but I'm also breaking in the motor (got 125 miles so far) before I really tune it. I'm very careful not to go above 5 psi when I drive because I haven't tuned my 3-port EBCS and don't want to put too much boost before the engine is broken in. I've also data logged a few runs to make sure AFRs and other diagnostics are where they're supposed to be.

The main issue I have is after the engine gets to temp, it tends to struggle keeping idle when the revs fall. Sometimes it stalls when coming to a red light so I have to feather the throttle to keep the engine from dying. Interestingly, this is not an issue when the motor is cold or just warming up - revs recover just fine. Looking forward to getting this fixed with a tune.
    Last edited by STiPWRD; 11-12-2019 at 08:02 AM.