BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: is it worth getting twisting pliers to do the wilwood brakes for $14?

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink is it worth getting twisting pliers to do the wilwood brakes for $14?

Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it’s worth it. I bought them to do mine and glad I did. I don’t know how I could of done my rotors with out them.
    Just my opinion but maybe someone knows how to do it without.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

3. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They're worth every penny..but get the 6" long... they'll fit where the others won't...
    If you need to twist wires for whatever reason they're it.
    I've been using them for over 45 years now

Jet

5. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They will be one of the cheapest things you buy for this project!
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

7. Likes toadster, Jetfuel, Aircontroller liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    These pliers make the job way easier. Safety wiring is not complicated but you should use best practices. The US Army taught me safety wire procedures and I find myself still following these to this day. Here's a link to a US Army Aviation Technical Manual that will give you some examples of safety wiring a variety of items. Notice that in some situations the twist direction makes a difference. Start on P99 (2-77) for safety wire but the manual is also a wealth of info on a variety of different things you may encounter. https://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-1-1500-204-23-6.pdf
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

9. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    for any 2 piece rotor, I would recommend 100%.
    And if wilwood doesn't supply drilled bolts...buy some.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

11. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Spiffy little manual you posted there NAZ....not just about the safety wire instructions. Many thanks for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    These pliers make the job way easier. Safety wiring is not complicated but you should use best practices. The US Army taught me safety wire procedures and I find myself still following these to this day. Here's a link to a US Army Aviation Technical Manual that will give you some examples of safety wiring a variety of items. Notice that in some situations the twist direction makes a difference. Start on P99 (2-77) for safety wire but the manual is also a wealth of info on a variety of different things you may encounter. https://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-1-1500-204-23-6.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Best way to find out if you need them is to give it a shot manually. As a former aircraft mechanic, they made the job 10x easier than doing it by hand. We were forced to safety wire various components by hand and when we made a mistake, our instructor simply cut the wire and made us start over. By the end of the week, we all had bloody fingers and zero patience. The following Monday, they gave each of us a set of those pliers shown above and we had everything done in 2 hours and we could all still feel our finger tips.

Save yourself the frustration. Get the pliers.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

14. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you spent $1,500 on the front brakes. A $14 tool to do them right is a drop in the bucket when you look at the full build cost. I think I easily spent more than $14 on bandaids and pain killers over the course of my build.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My instructors in the Army we're not nearly as brutal as yours were they taught us only to use pliers for our safety wire install. Personally I don't know how you could do them by hand and get a quality installation like you can with the players. Like Papa said at 14 bucks it's a no-brainer

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're not experienced in doing safety wire by hand, get the pliers. 35 year aircraft mechanic.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Todd,
    I just made this minimal investment as well and plan on tackling the rotors this weekend... kind of wish in hindsight that we had spent some hands-on training time on this skill during Build School. Thanks everyone for your responses and knowledge sharing, much appreciated for this noobie.
    Thanks, Jeff

20. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I can bring to this conversation is a small pointer in the use of this wire-twister:
    When grasping the wires with the pliers make sure the two wires are parallel to each other and not over each other and close to the tip, about 12 to 14 twist per inch makes for a beautiful job.
    This pliers apply quite a bit of force that will weaken the wire at the pinch point where they crossed even cut/ brake the wire

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    I love reading these post, I felt the same way. I never used twist pliers before and had to have them. At $14 thats a great deal jump on those. Dont be upset if you never use them again, mine have sat in the tool box ever since. I'm sure as soon as I get rid of them I'll need them.

23. Likes toadster liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    how much safety wire is needed?

from what I could find, 1/4lb of .032 safety wire is ~90ft long

Stainless Steel Twist Safety Lock Wire $10
    41GYjXc-4iL.jpg
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    1/4-lb will last a long time. I prefer to purchase it in the 1-lb containers as it stores better in my toolboxes and is easy to dispense: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qcr-64-015/overview/

The wire is not expensive and if you work on motor vehicles a lot you will find lots of uses for it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

26. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    A pound of .032 is $9.80 at wicks aircraft.....$15 at summit racing????... geeeeeees

Jet

30. Thanks NAZ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sure picked a bad example for safety wire. But Summit is less than Sporty's and Aircraft Spruce has it for $8.95 a pound. Guess it pays to shop around...

Post Thanks / Like
    You might use them on your spinners too. Makes for a traditional look.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL16 View Post
    You might use them on your spinners too. Makes for a traditional look.
    Just don't forget to keep a set of wire cutters in the car.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread