Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Overspray and Paint Cleaning Clay

Post Thanks / Like

Overspray and Paint Cleaning Clay

Recently, I had a chance to see if paint cleaning clay really works. I've been restoring a 40 year old Colnago road bike and on a nice Fall day a month or so ago I painted it at my shop. I used Eastwood two-part epoxy (real catalyzed automotive paint in a spray can) and had a large fan venting the overspray out of the shop.

Well, I just happened to drive the FFR over to the shop that day and, although I thought it was upwind and far enough away from the door, it ended up being covered in a fine dusting of overspray. Even though my car is a deep green and the bike is a bright orange, you couldn't see it.... but you sure could feel it on the surface.

My first thought was to use an orbital and buff the paint, but a friend recommended I use paint cleaning clay. I had a chunk of it laying around (still new in the container from Griot's Garage) and used it with their recommendation of Speed Shine as a surface lubricant. I was amazed at what a great job it did and without any real effort - I'm now a convert to the wonders of clay. Not only did it do an awesome job cleaning the surface, it did so without removing any of the clear coat.

Here's a pic of a hunk of the clay after just a few light passes over the front fender......

The clay is yellow and the redish-orange is the paint and other impurities it removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a pic of the bike, too, for those who like old Italian racing bikes from the early '80s.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

3. Likes MSumners liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest buffing the paint with a swirl remover and then waxing it. You just removed all of the protection you had on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Further to the above, you might not need the swirl remover (which is an abrasive hence best avoided if at all possible). Clay DOES strip off all contaminants and protective layers so you WILL want to reprotect them with wax/acrylic sealant but if the paint was only lightly contaminated before you clayed it, you may not have many swirls to remove. Try the wax/sealant first and only if you see hazing or artifacts should you hit it with anything abrasive.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is very impressive. And the bike frame is very impressive too.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a clay bar on my nicer rides. I have to lay a towel or tarp on the ground. If you drop the clay bar, it is over. They now have a clay towel, easier to hold onto. Clay works great and does not damage the paint.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    The bike is gorgeous. I ride a 1976 Bianchi that I purchased new (I'm 66). I'm tempted to refinish it, but won't because I know I'll do a lousy job. I also ride a Raleigh Professional from the 1970's. My wife has a beautiful Gios Torino. In the winter I ride a more modern mountain bike to work. I also have a 1968 Triumph 650 Tiger. Way too many toys.

There is a beautiful ghost sign in Albany NY that I ride by everyday on my way to work. zoom in on the badge. Colnago fans may appreciate it.

colnago.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris - I'm a fan of clay as well and this is a perfect use case for it.

I remember seeing that frame in your shop when I stopped by a few months ago. Looks great!

Jason
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    Took years to convince me clay was a good idea (seemed so wrong). Used it on a truck I didn't have a lot of feelings for and became an advocate in the right situations...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh!@ Works really well for cleaning windshields on the daily driver.

12. Likes rezell3d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also a fan... Had the misfortune of thinking my other "toy" was far enough away when I was rattle-canning some parts. Nope... had about 24769470047690 little blue speckles all over "Blackie".
    A few hours later the yellow brick was blue.

JDelke65Elky.jpg
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021