Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Overspray and Paint Cleaning Clay

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Overspray and Paint Cleaning Clay

Recently, I had a chance to see if paint cleaning clay really works. I've been restoring a 40 year old Colnago road bike and on a nice Fall day a month or so ago I painted it at my shop. I used Eastwood two-part epoxy (real catalyzed automotive paint in a spray can) and had a large fan venting the overspray out of the shop.

Well, I just happened to drive the FFR over to the shop that day and, although I thought it was upwind and far enough away from the door, it ended up being covered in a fine dusting of overspray. Even though my car is a deep green and the bike is a bright orange, you couldn't see it.... but you sure could feel it on the surface.

My first thought was to use an orbital and buff the paint, but a friend recommended I use paint cleaning clay. I had a chunk of it laying around (still new in the container from Griot's Garage) and used it with their recommendation of Speed Shine as a surface lubricant. I was amazed at what a great job it did and without any real effort - I'm now a convert to the wonders of clay. Not only did it do an awesome job cleaning the surface, it did so without removing any of the clear coat.

Here's a pic of a hunk of the clay after just a few light passes over the front fender......

The clay is yellow and the redish-orange is the paint and other impurities it removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074