Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Roadster - Initial Colourway Dreaming...

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster - Initial Colourway Dreaming...

Hi all,

As I'm still a few months away from being able to order my MKIV Canadian Kit, I've been doing what most of us "not quite there yets" do: dreaming about the colour our cars will be after thousands of hours, thousands of dollars and thousands of scraped knuckles are behind us. Here are a couple of initial renders of possible contenders. I did several others but don't ever think I'd be able to stray too far from one of the more 'traditional' schemes of a base in either red, blue, black or grey/silver. I also suspect that my car will have stripes and shadow lines either in black, silver, white/pearl or yellow (depending on the base). Thoughts, feedback and suggestions welcomed!

Anyway - this is a good way to tantalize myself while I get to the point of being able to pull the trigger and place an order. Massive thanks to those who have taken the additional time to share their builds with us; your threads are invaluable for folks like me to help educate us about the process but also to educate us about the potential pitfalls and, especially to educate us about the choices that we will need to make along the way: battery location, clutch operation, PS, heater, Coyote/pushrod, interior materials, suspension setup, wheel size, etc. I have a short (long) list of the options that I would currently order, if I was in a position to do so. This list will likely change over time but it's a list that comes from reading the experiences of others, and not shooting in the dark.

Thanks,
    Andy

GreyYellow.jpg

RedWhite.jpg

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way back when we were deciding on color, I hit the web to find what the originals were offered in. I am not a true super original fan but thought that would be a good idea anyway. I was glad silver was one of the colors. One hint I will offer is, every time you and your wife are on a drive, play the 'how about that color' game. As you are aware, once you settle on red for instance, there are maybe a 1000 variations. And then, if you settle on white stripes, there a 1000 whites too. They don't all work together. Also I found out the hard way that 3 stage paints cost more to buy and to apply. I had chosen a beautiful Lexus wine for the stripes. Paid the extra couple $100 and then found it really wasn't worth. It wasn't a flip-flop color but, on a whole car, a gold tone would show up on certain areas depending on the direction the sun was coming from. The stripes are such a small area that never happens so I could have chosen a 2 stage that would have worked just fine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d suggest picking up a book or two on Cobras. Besides seeing lots of different paint on original cars you’ll also see lots of other details you may want to incorporate, that differ from our stock kits.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another source for color combinations on Cobras.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/499125571189022024/
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.