Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Tremec Excellent Customer Support

Post Thanks / Like

Tremec Excellent Customer Support

I completed my MKIV this past March. I purchased my Tremec T5 new from Mike Forte. I decided on a new transmission as it wasn’t that much more expensive and I didn’t want to have to deal with a problem later on if I had decided to go the used route. As soon as I started driving it, I knew I had a problem with 5th gear. It would shift smoothly into all gears except 5th. I would have to wait about 4-5 seconds between the 4-5 shift for it not to grind. Talked to Mike and also to Tremec and they thought my clutch was not adjusted correctly. I then readjusted my clutch several times with the same results. Tremec then asked me to send it back for them to take a look. I put it off as long as I could. Now that it has started cooling down, I decided it was time to pull the transmission. So up on jack stands and a couple of hours later and I had the T5 out. Shipped it back to Tremec last week. Got an email today saying if it was alright with me, they would like to send my transmission back to the factory to let engineering take a look at it and they would like to ship me a completely brand new transmission. What great customer support. Completely exceeded my expectations! Now the dreaded task of trying to install the new transmission without pulling the engine.
    MKIV Roadster #9414, Complete Kit Delivered 9/8/2018, First Start 11/9/2018, First Go Cart 11/10/2018, Ford 306 Hand Built, E303 Cam, Blueprint Engine Heads, Edelbrock Performer Manifold, Edelbrock AVS2 Carb, Roller Rockers, Tremec T5, 3.55 Moser 3 Link, 17" Halibrand Replicas, Nitto 555 G2's, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Heated Seats, Russ Thompson Turn Signal

2. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've neither built a car yet, nor dealt with Forte personally (though plan to do both eventually). Having said that, doesn't he do a couple special things on the T5's for his customers? (Exterior Case type things) those might not already be done on a unit right from Tremec. Just something to be aware of.

Of course, i could be completely off-base there
    Last edited by Snakely; 11-13-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakely View Post
    i've neither built a car yet, nor dealt with Forte personally (though plan to do both eventually). Having said that, doesn't he do a couple special things on the T5's for his customers? (Exterior Case type things) those might not already be done on a unit right from Tremec. Just something to be aware of.

Of course, i could be completely off-base there
    Yes, Mike will make the necessary modifications and does not charge labor to move the shifter.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    Yes, Mike will make the necessary modifications and does not charge labor to move the shifter.
    I read somewhere must have been in edwards build that upgrades to the trans interior can be done to make it shift better. Ive experienced on mine that before I put into reverse I without grinding a little I need to put into 2nd then reverse. Also its easier to put into 1st if I put into 2nd first then 1st. I read this was typical for these transmissions without certain upgrades but havent looked into it thoroughly. Good luck putting it back in, take your time and plan it out...

6. Thanks RBachman thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    I read somewhere must have been in edwards build that upgrades to the trans interior can be done to make it shift better. Ive experienced on mine that before I put into reverse I without grinding a little I need to put into 2nd then reverse. Also its easier to put into 1st if I put into 2nd first then 1st. I read this was typical for these transmissions without certain upgrades but havent looked into it thoroughly. Good luck putting it back in, take your time and plan it out...
    I was surprised to learn that T5's do not have a synchronized reverse gear. So it needs to be put in a forward gear generally 5th then moved into reverse to engage reverse without grinding

Post Thanks / Like
    If your transmission grinds going into reverse, I think you need to adjust your clutch.