BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Sport Steering Wheel Spacer Issues

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Sport Steering Wheel Spacer Issues

I wasn’t sure where to post this but here goes. I’m in the process of integrating an iWire harness into my build. At the steering wheel area, and although the FFR Sport Steering Wheel spacer has guide holes and a flat spot milled into the rear to attempt to mate up with the factory clock spring, the flat spot was off by maybe 15 degrees. Since I wanted to have both a functioning horn and self-cancelling turn signals, I had to drill out, then relieve a good bit of aluminum in the offending area.

I won’t post pics unless there is interest, but it was pretty easy once I had the solution in my head. Word of caution: if you find interference here where the clock spring’s 6-pin connector faces rearward, DO NOT try and force it in by tightening down the steering wheel nut. It appears to be pretty flimsy and since it has the dreaded yellow airbag wires built in, you can bet it will be an expensive mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an FFR wheel I'll be fitting in a few months. I'm interested in what you learned. Thanks for the offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up getting an NRG removable wheel and adapter... Needed more room to get in and out comfortably and the FF one adds a good few inches to the column. As for the cancel, never got it to work 100% and figured the modifications needed where not worth it. With the FF setup the wheel was way to close when driving IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    "With the FF setup the wheel was way to close when driving IMO."
    Did you press the steering column shorter?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I also installed an NRG steering wheel that allowed me an extra inch or so of extra room and with some backwoods engineering was able to get horn and canceling turn signal...not easy but it can be done.

Jet

IMG_4657.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    "With the FF setup the wheel was way to close when driving IMO."
    Did you press the steering column shorter?
    Yes.. That included making the column shorter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuel View Post
    I also installed an NRG steering wheel that allowed me an extra inch or so of extra room and with some backwoods engineering was able to get horn and canceling turn signal...not easy but it can be done.

Jet

IMG_4657.JPG
    That's a pretty nice interior - can I ask where you got those floor mats? Or were they custom made? Sorry to hijack this thread, I tired to find your build thread but wasn't able.

Post Thanks / Like
    WRD...thanks for the compliment....the floor mats I made with regular carpet and then serged the edges for a more finished look.

Jet...sorry for the hijack 105..

9. Thanks STiPWRD thanked for this post