BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fuel Tank Install

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank Install

The manual states not to tighten the passenger side tank straps until after the trunk aluminum is installed. Why is this? It doesn't seem to look as though the bolts interfere with anything.

Also the passenger side strap looks a bit short when I mock up the install.
    MK IV Roaster, Complete Kit
    Planning on Coyote,TKO600, 2015 12.88# IRS,Wilwood BrakesHalibrand Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't put the lower trunk aluminum panel into place with the rear bolt for the tank strap in place; hence F5's instruction not to tighten. But obviously, if you want to gokart without the aluminum in place, you'll tighten it so that tank is secured.

You're right about the right side strap seeming a little "short". Almost everyone swaps out the forward bolt for one about 1" or more longer. That helps you get the nut started, and provided you use an all-thread bolt you can tighten the strap properly.

John

Note that the trunk panel in the picture below has been modified for a custom lower trunk box. But you can see what I mean about the rear bolt preventing that panel from fitting into place.

IMG_1849 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John. Thanks for the pic. I gotta say your upper and lower deck aluminum sheets look waaaayyyyyyy more different than mine. Did you do something different to them?
    MK IV Roaster, Complete Kit
    Planning on Coyote,TKO600, 2015 12.88# IRS,Wilwood BrakesHalibrand Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I built a custom box for the upper trunk (which is no longer possible with the 2015 IRS; the framing gets in the way), and a custom box for the lower trunk (you can get a similar item from Russ Thompson). I also built a custom behind the seat cubby, smaller than the Breeze cubby & more suitable to my needs. I also enlarged the access holes for the fuel gauge sender and the fuel pump.

John

IMG_4465 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

5. Likes ydousurf liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "GIVING BIRTH TO A GAS TANK" If you want to see an FFR owner loose his shiz just tell him he needs to drop the tank. New Tank, New Straps, New Cover......short bolts. Laying on the ground pushing, shoving and swearing like Darren McGavin in Christmas Story.....But I digress. START WITH LONGER BOLTS !!!! Ta Da. As long as you leave a little slack in the fuel lines the tank moves in and out in seconds......I PROMISS ! I keep longer bolts in the shop for when the access holes are covered up and I have to drop a tank...da bat