Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: door trim for power windows made easy

Post Thanks / Like

door trim for power windows made easy

I struggled through the first door window and had to pull the felt and rubber out numerous times. Through the process I figured out an easy way to get it done the first time so thought I'd share.

The felt on the inside is a fixed position that dose not get altered. You'll see why when you go to put it in. Due to the orientation of the strip and the glass of the door it can not be adjusted.

So knowing that you can install that first and use that as guide for your measurements.

1st I installed the felt strip and cat head on the sill. Then put your glass in and flip the door over. I made a template out of 1/4 ply for the window to make things easier. Was only .01" difference in thickness of the glass.

So with felt installed and glass laying flat against it you just need to trim the outer part of frame for the Cat Head to fit.

I made a guide out of 1/4 ply and put some Tape on it to build up to exactly 1/4". Used that to mark all around the opening with marker. I actually trimmed till the marker was gone so actually trimmed about 5/16. (Use your own judgment on how far you want to trim!) Everything fit perfect first time except having to work a little on the corners where the fiberglass was a lot thicker.

Hope this helps someone out!

11-13-2019 1.jpg 11-13-2019 2.jpg

2. Thanks Aircontroller, GroundPounderSATX thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow....very innovative!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super Idea! Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an awesome tip, I hope FRR adds it as a ‘sticky’ for easy reference.