Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Too Tall for MK Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Too Tall for MK Kit

This has probably already been discussed at some point on this forum, however I really need some advice and would prefer to not go on the hunt for it. I am 6'4" 235 and would really like to build the roadster kit but I was told by an FFR rep at the SEMA show that the only way I could fit is if I used a racing seat and an automatic transmission, neither of these options are of interest to me. After learning this I started looking at the 33 Hot Rod kit, but it is not all that appealing to me. Looking for feedback from other tall people here to see if there are options for a taller person and the MK kit.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David Hodgkins can help you fit.
    He's 6'6" and known as the Wookie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not knowing your "frame" I couldn't say for sure but plenty of guys your height have made a MK4 Roadster fit them. Also don't know who you talked to at SEMA. It's been my experience that there is usually a way to fit the driver to the car. Not all of the these modifications are necessarily available specifically from Factory Five. One area this relates directly to is the pedal box. The Wilwoood setup is OK for about 90% of the guys and gals out there. For others, especially those as tall as you, a different setup may work better. If your dead set on a Coyote engine this limits it as well. That motor takes up a lot of real estate in the engine bay. If you have any questions, we'd be glad to talk to you. Reach out with a PM or contact us here and we'll see how we can help you. https://www.facebook.com/IE427-891650054204648/ I don't see any need to go for an automatic.
    Last edited by i.e.427; 11-15-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quite simply 6'4" and 235# is far from being too big. Yes, you might be more comfortable with a Kirkey lowback than the conventional roadster seat because it will put you a bit lower in the car so that you'll be looking through the center of the windshield but otherwise (unless you have snowshoes for feet) you fit the profile of many other roadster owners.

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you want a high back, I recently bought a pair of these suckers as a viable Drag Race & Auto Cross option.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Kirkey/570/55170K/10002/-1

Hopefully my Land-Strider Brother will be able to better fit than he does today.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-15-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, I am not at all set on the Coyote Engine, will likely go with 302 or 351. Trying to stay away from the Kirkey seats I know they are good for more aggressive driving but I plan on using for a cruiser and not planning on auto cross or racing. Actually thinking the build will be fun and looking to just enjoy cruising. I was told the Wilwood pedal setup may not be the best option, would need to understand what other options there are.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6' 6", 220#. I made simple peddle modifications and I have the Kirkey low back vintage seats. I'm very happy with the MK-IV. I didn't like the look of the Kirkeys, so I had them custom upholstered. Expensive, but nothing that would keep me away from the project. I also have a Coyote and 5 speed. No problem.

I want to build a 33 as well, someday. I've sat in several of the FFR, 2nd Gen 33's and I have determined that if and when I build a 33 it will also have Kirkey seats and probably an automatic. The foot box gets narrower on the 33 than it does for the MK IV. I have details in my build thread in the signature line if you are interested.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3" and 235 and fit in MK4's with standard seat fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Small block (to maximize footwell space), Kirkey Lowbacks, Wilwood pedals, washers under steering wheel pillow block.

6'6", 320LBs, size 16 shoes.

PS I once had a guy 6'11' sit in it and close the door. Now HE would probably need an automatic...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)