Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Have a question about full fenders

Post Thanks / Like

Have a question about full fenders

I will be ordering my 33 kit early next year and was wondering how easy it is to get in and out of with the hard top and full fenders (running boards). I'm tall so I will be using the Kirkey low back seats for more head and leg room but how is it getting in and out with the running boards in the way? My wife and I are both over 70 and not quite as flexible as we once were. I had no problem getting in and out of the cut away 33 at the SEMA show but it didn't have a top or running boards.

Thanks

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I (6'1") find that the running boards are helpful getting in and out of the car. However, please be aware that the FFR supplied running boards are cosmetic fiberglass attachments, not structural parts. The boards need to be supported or you can't step on them (without bad things happening). I see that FFR is now offering steel supports for the '35 truck running boards, and I imagine that they will offer a version for the Hot Rod. If not, then you will have to fabricate something yourself - as I and other builders have done.

So where are you located? There are lots of builders and lurkers on the forums, and you may find help, advice or just a fan close by. Also, the forums are a great resource when you get stuck on something or just need inspiration. In any case, welcome to the madness!

Keith HR#894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    I (6'1") find that the running boards are helpful getting in and out of the car. However, please be aware that the FFR supplied running boards are cosmetic fiberglass attachments, not structural parts. The boards need to be supported or you can't step on them (without bad things happening). I see that FFR is now offering steel supports for the '35 truck running boards, and I imagine that they will offer a version for the Hot Rod. If not, then you will have to fabricate something yourself - as I and other builders have done.

So where are you located? There are lots of builders and lurkers on the forums, and you may find help, advice or just a fan close by. Also, the forums are a great resource when you get stuck on something or just need inspiration. In any case, welcome to the madness!

Keith HR#894
    Thanks Keith. I live in San Diego - I need to get that into my profile. If you don't step on the running boards (so as not to scratch the paint) how much of a hindrance is it to getting out of the car. I was also considering the motorcycle fenders but I really like the look of the clam shells,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim you didn't mention if you will be using the hardtop. Without its just a matter of stepping over the running boards. With the top you my find that you kinda insert yourself butt first then swing your legs under the wheel (at least that what I have to do). To this end consider ordering the optional tilt column.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamp View Post
    Jim you didn't mention if you will be using the hardtop. Without its just a matter of stepping over the running boards. With the top you my find that you kinda insert yourself butt first then swing your legs under the wheel (at least that what I have to do). To this end consider ordering the optional tilt column.
    I'll be using it both ways and I will be ordering the tilt column. I spent some time looking at the car with motorcycle fenders and I almost like it better - going to be a tough choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC there was a builder in Carlsbad or Cardiff who built a full fender '33. Sorry, but the name doesn't immediately come to mind. You can look at the owner's map or just search the forums - maybe try the "SoCal" folder first. Or, depending on your timeframe, we've got the Huntington Beach Cruise-In coming up on April 25. There should be several local-ish opportunities to see up close and maybe sit in a full fender '33. Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC there was a builder in Carlsbad or Cardiff who built a full fender '33. Sorry, but the name doesn't immediately come to mind. You can look at the owner's map or just search the forums - maybe try the "SoCal" folder first. Or, depending on your timeframe, we've got the Huntington Beach Cruise-In coming up on April 25. There should be several local-ish opportunities to see up close and maybe sit in a full fender '33. Keith
    I'm still brand new here. I looked for the owner's map but couldn't find it. Where is it located?

Post Thanks / Like
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...7446,78.75&z=4

It was Tom I was thinking of, forum handle "cardifkid" on the other forum, and maybe on this one too? I suggest you send him a PM and maybe you can get together. HTH Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...7446,78.75&z=4

It was Tom I was thinking of, forum handle "cardifkid" on the other forum, and maybe on this one too? I suggest you send him a PM and maybe you can get together. HTH Keith
    I sent him a PM on the other forum, hope to hear back from him soon.

Thanks

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a good idea for protecting the paint on top of the running boards?

Post Thanks / Like
    Aluminum strips ( slippery but looks good! ) or use glue on stair grip, comes in different wide rolls.

Post Thanks / Like
    And add some support under the running boards so they won't break if it gets stepped on.
    I just added square boxed tubing from the frame to under the running boards.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    As usual, my approach was more elaborate. I added square tube supports under the running boards and then cut strips from 1/8" thick HDPE the same size and length as the tubing. Eventually, the painted running boards will be sandwiched between the strips and the tubes, held together with flathead screws. My idea is that when I step on the running boards the load will transfer from the strips down to the frame while just compressing the running boards a little (hopefully without damaging the paint). Also, the strips give a little space for any sand or grit coming off my shoes a place to accumulate where it won't be ground into the paint and can be safely hosed off.
    20181223_173346.jpg

If you don't like the DIY approach, McMillan has running board strips that look pretty good: https://www.mcmillanrodandcustom.com/RunningBoard.html

Also, people like Mike's Affordable https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A16458BR.html and Bob Drake https://www.bobdrake.com/3334bumpers have other kinds of running board covers, etc.

Whichever way you go, you need some sort of support under the running boards or they will crack. FFR is now building supports for the '35 truck and may also be building them for the '33, or you can make your own as have several of us.

HTH, Keith HR#894

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the help. will let you know what we decide.