BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LED H4 for MKII - ditch the boot?

Post Thanks / Like

LED H4 for MKII - ditch the boot?

I decided to install some H4 LEDs today. I have a MKII with has the England style Headlight with removable bulbs.

The original setup uses this boot around the bulb, but I don’t think I really need it. Not like I drive in the rain, but maybe keeps some dust out. Just looking for some verification / thoughts. Thanks!

My other (potential) issue is: I tested one, very bright, but has some flicker. Hoping when I do the other side, it goes away, or guess I’ll need some anti-flicker whatevers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

Ok, so cut out the dust boot and reinstalled everything. Looks pretty good overall, and the lighting seems decent. Won’t obviously know until it get it outside and driving, which will probably not be until spring!

Before I reinstalled everything, I let the lights stay on for a bit, to see how hot they may get, but thinking that without the car running, they are not getting up to temp, since they didn’t get very hot.

There’s a fair amount of wiring inside the bucket, mostly from the 3 prong connector to the bucket grommet, so I used some high temp loom to protect it. Hopefully there is enough room and circulation for things not to get overheated. May clean it up at some point.

Those little parking light housings have become brittle over the years, and I think I’m going to replace them. I may not even power them anymore.

Only other item to check is if there is a top and bottom to the LED? It seems to be correct, but may play around with it. Definitely noticeable between low and high beams!

Attached Images Attached Images