BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump Questions

I'll be running a carb'd 306 in my car and curious what other SBF builders who have a carb set-up went with for their fuel pump, mechanical or electric, and why? Also, if you went with an electric pump, where did you install it?

Thanks in advance.
    Tony
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanical. A Carter first then a Vic Jr.
    Came with the motor. Simple, works, never failed me.
    About 65k miles on the motor.
    427W, 780 double pumper, Aeromotive bypass regulator
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Electric in tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008M4R69E

And strainer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008M4RLRG

Used the stock hanger with a SS hose clamp to secure it. It's dead headed to my carb, making about 5psi. I went electric mainly because my motor had no place for a mechanical pump. That, and the lesser chance of vaper lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is mechanical. So simple and always works 43,000 or so miles. I don't remember your engine plans but it needs to have a front cover w/ the mount and an eccentric on the cam so remember to specify them.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My take is pretty straightforward. Electric fuel pump is mandatory for an EFI setup. No discussion there. On a carb build, there may be some cases where it's not possible. No provision for a pump on the engine. No eccentric on the cam. Maybe others. But mechanical will always be my first choice for a carb setup. They're relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and just work. I didn't have any failures or vapor lock issues with my two carb/mechanical pump builds. 306 and 347 SBF's and used Edelbrock pumps.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holley electric fuel pump, mounted behind the right rear tire area. It can be heard until the engine starts IMG_20140915_213640_205.jpg
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Mustang in tank pump and a return fuel pressure regulator. The reason, I anticipated that I might want to update to a Sniper (or similar) fuel injection system and only wanted to run all the fuel system components once. If you have no plans for such an upgrade and, your engine has the proper timing cover and cam eccentric, a mechanical pump is your easiest and best option.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAHokie View Post
    I'll be running a carb'd 306 in my car and curious what other SBF builders who have a carb set-up went with for their fuel pump, mechanical or electric, and why? Also, if you went with an electric pump, where did you install it?

Thanks in advance.
    Tony
    One of these. https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...9-11/overview/ Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    The carb cars that I've built have all been mechanical. As others have said simple, reliable and available at just about any corner parts store in the unlikely event of a failure.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate all the input, everyone!
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanical for me also. As stated, simple, inexpensive and it just works.