Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Nick's MK IV Build

Post Thanks / Like

Nick's MK IV Build

Hello everybody,

So for some background story, in July my wife and I were at Barret Jackson in CT and as always I make it a requirement to walk by and look and chat at the cars and employees at the Factory Five booth cause it has always been a dream of mine to build one of these machines from craddle to the grave. I have never owned or build a project to this extent however do have experience in building cars. First project was a foxbody mustang which went from stock to 912 rwhp when complete; I was able to drive to the track 2 hours away and drive back which I was pretty proud of (ran 10.50's @ 142 mph on 650 rwhp tune, never ran it with 912 tune). Second project was a 2008 shelby gt500 which wasn't as indepth as the foxbody, however with upgraded exhaust, kennebell supercharger at 20 lbs and clutch car was running 10.50's on 18's with drag radials. Returning back to the barrett Jackson story, Factory five had a generous sale going on with a roadster at the time with most of the additions which I desired: IRS, Coyote option, headers, front/rear sway bars, mickey thompson with 305's on the rear all for a generous deal. Talking to my wife and telling her how much a good deal it was she surprised me with the reply of "so buy it" (she's amazing). Long story short, I was unable to bring that specific roadster home that day and picked up the car last friday on the 8th.

Plans for the build are:
    Coyote (with either aftermarket cams or bolt on a whipple or roush supercharger)
    TKO600
    drop trunk option
    battery relocation
    Wilwood Brakes front and rear
    hydrualic clutch
    air conditioning
    heater/defroster
    removable soft top
    i'm sure I am missing some and will add as they come to me

Below are pictures of the body buck. I used the dimensions and plans from FAQ section of FFCars.com https://www.ffcars.com/forums/106-ge...body-buck.html. I still need to add support beams on the sides, i'm not sure how homedepot does their quality assurance inspections with the wood that they buy, but a good handfull of the 2x4's that I purchased were significantly warped. I should have done a better inspection upon purchase, however it is difficult getting all the supplies when you are also responsible for a 16 month old while at HD.

This will be a pretty slow moving project due to my job and the typical long hours and ofcourse always got to set time for the important things such as family and our relatively new addition to the family. I look forward to meeting some new friends and joining this new community and am excited for what's in store.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nick7405; 12-29-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For my first question, I am putting an order for black rivets, nutserts and cleco's and quickly became overwhelmed with the amount of options there are with 1/8" rivets and nutserts while on McMaster.

Just to verify, 316 stainless steel domed head blind rivets are what I want to order, correct? secondly, for the material thickness would they be for 0.04-0.118" or 0.119-0.196". Would I be putting in a different order for rivets used for panel-to-panel vs panel-frame due to thickness differences of the frame?

some guidance and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome! You bring far more experience than I did when I started. Looking forward to following along.
    Personally I used 0.063-0.125 for the shallow options (panel to panel). I used the black rivets from McMaster as well for visible sections and they were the same manufacturer as supplied with the kit(adp). I used .313-.375 for some thicker sections such as the FFR metals firewall (.09) to the frame. Otherwise I used the kit supplied rivets for everything else as they get covered with insulation, leather or carpet.
    As for rivet nuts, I am using SS 8-32 and 10-32’s in a few places and you’ll get varying experiences with all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by nick7405 View Post
    For my first question, I am putting an order for black rivets, nutserts and cleco's and quickly became overwhelmed with the amount of options there are with 1/8" rivets and nutserts while on McMaster.

Just to verify, 316 stainless steel domed head blind rivets are what I want to order, correct? secondly, for the material thickness would they be for 0.04-0.118" or 0.119-0.196". Would I be putting in a different order for rivets used for panel-to-panel vs panel-frame due to thickness differences of the frame?

some guidance and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! You've obviously got a lot of experience, and you've tapped into a wealth of knowledge on this forum. And, you don't know slow ... check my build number. Whatever works to keep you happy, and a lot folks find they miss the build part once the car is on the road. So whatever build pace is all good. It's great having another person join the fun, and it'll be great to follow along as you make progress.

I remember finding an explanation of the dizzying number of options for nutserts and from there being able to pick ones that were most suited for our use. Same sizes that Mike just mentioned. I'll look for the link tonight if someone hasn't answered your question by then.

Cheers,

-- John
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. After spending probably way to much time reading about nutserts and rivets I went ahead and ordered both. Hopefully this information will help, but the aluminum panels measured ~0.05" so the nutserts ordered were from McMaster and are: stainless steel twist-resistant rivet nuts for a material thickness of 0" to 0.13" with a threadsize of 10-32 (part no. 97467a723). These nutserts should work on all the aluminum panels, however I didn't measure the thickness of the frame so I don't know if the frame is less than 0.13". If the frame is thicker than .1" the proper nutsert part no will be 97467a724 which is for 0.1" to 0.25". I choose stainless steel for the corrision resistant properties and the fact they are twist resistance so they wont turn when trying to tighten a screw into it. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Below are pictures of the lock wire for the Wilwood brakes. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It took a handful of trial and errors to get the lock wire as I expected. The left hand bolt has the wire going around the bolt clockwise on the outside and the wire going around the bolt head is routed underneath the wire that went through the bolt head. Then the twist from bolt head to bolt head was conducted clockwise, with the wire looping around the bolt head and under the wire through the bolt head allows/helps the wire maintain at the base of the head and not twist or move up around the head. with the right bolt head, there is a wire the loops around the outside counter clockwise and also is routed under the wire that is routed through the bolt head. however when I did the pigtail I was having issues with the wire maintaining at the base of the head so I twisted the wire counter clockwise. this allowed the wire being routed on the outside to be routed under the wire thatwent through the head and for it to 'anchor' it down.

I hope that explanation makes since and helps somebody that has never lock wired anything. This was my first time and am fairly pleased with the results.

20191127_204338.jpg20191127_204357.jpg
    Last edited by nick7405; 11-27-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work on the safties. They will hold just fine and your method of keeping the loop-around part under the going-thru part is spot on.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks boyd, that was my first attempt at safety wires and I very happy with the results. I did measure the turns per inch and they were right at the maximum recommendation of 12 per inch. The recommended was 8 to 12 per inch IAW one of the tech manuals at work.

As far as an update, didn't get as much done as I wanted due to family, thanksgiving and black friday shopping with the wife. I did get the front wilwood Installes which was straightforward. As far as shimming, both left and right calipers took 1 .016" shim and two .032". I ended up using one of the wifes sewing kit rulers which allowed a nice accurate measurement then just eyeing it or with a standard ruler.

Only concern or question I really had was to put teflon tape around the fitting that goes Into the caliper. I did it but couldn't find an answer.
    20191129_075328.jpg20191129_072815.jpg20191201_193348.jpg
    Last edited by nick7405; 12-01-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only concern or question I really had was to put teflon tape around the fitting that goes Into the caliper. I did it but couldn't find an answer.
    20191129_075328.jpg20191129_072815.jpg20191201_193348.jpg
    If I remember right "Someone please chime in" you are not supposed to use Teflon tape on brake line fittings
    If you are build the car in CT the DMV web site has good information about composite cars and relating to this but no mention of Teflon tape

https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Inspection...osite-Vehicles
    https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DMV/20...7pdf.pdf?la=en

Post Thanks / Like
    No teflon tape in any brake line fitting. The threads seal themselves. That goes for the liquid teflon as well. I learned that one the hard way.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, thanks for the input everyone, the thought was that the fitting into the caliper wasn't a brake line fitting ir compression style.

Question now is what's best method to correct it and not get any into the caliper while removing and cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like
    This weekend got the rear wilwood brakes installed. overall the install was straight forward and quality of the product is obviously very robust and impressive. The only issue with the install between the front and rear brakes was that some of the hardware provided on the rear brakes did not fit. The washers supplied to lock the caliper down on the brake bracket was the wrong size (too small); a quick trip to hardware store fixed it obviously.

For the righthand side, the recommended shims for. both the brake bracket and caliper was used and needed no deviations; one .029" shim for the brake bracket allowing the rotor to be centered in the caliper and two .035" shims for the caliper ensuring 100% contact of the pad with the rotor.

Lefthand side required deviations for both the brake bracket and the caliper. For the brake bracket removed the recommended .029" shim to center the rotor in the caliper and removed one .035" shim from the caliper leaving only one remaining ensuring full pad contact with the rotor.
    20191207_124846.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This week was productive, got both the drivers and passenger F-panels drilled and fitted as well as the drivers side front panel footbox. No issues and they fit great.

Started assembling the pedal box and painted the clutch & brake switch tabs as well as the pedal box mount. The kit did not have the 1 1/4" bolt to bolt the clutch quadrant the pedal box so a quick trip to the hardware store. The paint is currently drying so will be able to finish that up during the week hopefully.

I also ordered the thicker firewall from FFMetal which came in and fitted and drilled however I messed up with the markings and holes I drilled so I will be ordering another one. However the quality and difference from the supplied factory five firewall vs the FFMetal is impressive and definitely recommend the firewall.

20191229_181146.jpg
    20191229_181415.jpg
    20191215_203250.jpg
    Last edited by nick7405; 12-29-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was the start of my holiday leave so hopefully I will be able to get some work done on the car before flying down for the holidays.

So far assembled the pedal box with the master cylinders and installed it on the car. It's suppose to be like 10 degrees out tomorrow so not sure how much im going to get done, but the plan is to complete the steering.

One bad thing is when installing the pedal box, the painted parts scratched way too easy. I don't know If it was due to the attempt of painting in a non heated garage in Maine winter but after everything gets fitted the plan im leaning towards is to just powder coat everything. If anybody had tips please let me know. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by nick7405; 12-29-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    FFR Roadster: Received 11/18/19: BluePrint 427w, TKO600, Glenn's performance fuel system, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, Sniper XFlow and many more

Post Thanks / Like
    So I recieved the ffmetal firewall again and that is properly fitted and drilled

I am now into the passenger floorboard and have a question: is it normal to have to cut or open the e brake hole more to allow the flange for the brake bracket to not sit against the aluminum panel? I attached photos 20191227_212347.jpg20191227_212329.jpg20191229_182544.jpg

Second question is you only rivet the passenger floor to the square tubing or floor panel...not the circular tubing. This is correct?
    Last edited by nick7405; 12-29-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    FFR Roadster: Received 11/18/19: BluePrint 427w, TKO600, Glenn's performance fuel system, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, Sniper XFlow and many more

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nick, you didn’t ask for this advice, but I thought I would throw it out there as it appears you’re dealing with the complexities of the forum picture upload. I assume you are using MS Windows, if you are, open your pictures in a picture viewer first and rotate to the correct orientation and then close it. For some reason that will prevent it from rotating when you upload. Hope that helps.

I don’t remember having to make that opening bigger, it wouldn’t surprise me if you did need to though, what I do remember is making the hole smaller at the time of carpeting as it is oversized.

I thought I read that too in the manual, or somewhere, that you shouldn’t rivet to the 4” round tube. It is actually okay and unavoidable to rivet or tap the tube at some point.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 12-27-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Hey Nick, you didn’t ask for this advice, but I thought I would throw it out there as it appears you’re dealing with the complexities of the forum picture upload. I assume you are using MS Windows, if you are, open your pictures in a picture viewer first and rotate to the correct orientation and then close it. For some reason that will prevent it from rotating when you upload. Hope that helps.

I don’t remember having to make that opening bigger, it wouldn’t surprise me if you did need to though, what I do remember is making the hole smaller at the time of carpeting as it is oversized.

I thought I read that too in the manual, or somewhere, that you shouldn’t rivet to the 4” round tube. It is actually okay and unavoidable to rivet or tap the tube at some point.
    Thanks for the heads up, I usually post from my phone and never noticed. I'll try to fix them tonight

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post

well that took awhile figuring out but all the pictures are fixed...thanks for the heads up

Post Thanks / Like
    Update for the week; got the passenger floorboard, passenger side vertical piece below the door and the same on the drivers side. Additionally was able to do the driver foot box floor.

I have the drivers inner footbox then on to the fuel tank install. Ket me know what you guys think so far

Attachment 119649
    Attachment 119648
    Attachment 119650
    Attachment 119651

oh yeah!! I ran out of my 50 cleco's and had to order more

Lastly, while I'm waiting on the fuel tank and fuel tank cover to be shipped I'll be dropping the pumpkin and will be painting it with POR15. Anybody have recommendations on best way to drop am installed rear end?
    Last edited by nick7405; 12-30-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Panel gap seems large?

Below is the gap that I have on the drivers top inside panel for the footbox. Gap is large and part of me says continue and just silicon the gap later and other part of me says create a space to close the gap. What are your recommendations? Is this normal?

20200101_105815.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't have a gap that large. In fact, I had to put some tape on the firewall so that the top panel wouldn't scratch it when squeezing it in there. Are you sure that all of your other panels for the box are aligned correctly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I didn't have a gap that large. In fact, I had to put some tape on the firewall so that the top panel wouldn't scratch it when squeezing it in there. Are you sure that all of your other panels for the box are aligned correctly?
    That's whay I thought, that it was due to panels not being aligned correctly, but the only alignment that effects forward to aft is the metal panel in front of the pedal box. The gap is the same if I remove the inner panel completely.

Post Thanks / Like
    My panel fit was tight here, too. Maybe take some measurements on the panel and call Factory Five to check? Those are CNC-cut panels so doesn't seem likely that there's a big error there.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have attached photos of the front brake lines. If you guys can look and give feedback please let me know. Anyways I think it turned out good.

Fyi for those going through the assembly guide the provided path in the pictures won't work with the 60jnch brake lines. You will be about 6 inches short

20200111_204731.jpg
    20200111_204721.jpg
    20200111_204713.jpg
    20200111_204701.jpg
    20200111_204640.jpg
    20200111_204640.jpg
    20200111_204634.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Next step is the fuel system. I ordered a 1000hp intank kit from Glenn's performance..

Post Thanks / Like
    While im waiting for the fuel system. Do you guys think I'm ready for powdercoating the panels or recommend some things first before that
    Last edited by nick7405; 02-15-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    While im waiting for the fuel system. Do you guys think I'm ready for piwderxoating the panels or recommend some things first before that
    If you’ve already fitted and drilled them, I’d definitely get them done.

Post Thanks / Like
    20200404_121730.jpg
    20200404_112102.jpg
    20200404_095149.jpg
    20200404_095119.jpg

Attached are photos with were I am on progress. I have spent the last week wiring the dash together. I'll get a better photo with how everything is set up but I am glad how ot turned out.

Also the powdercoating turned out amazing and am very happy with the results. I still have the trunk panels and the random little pieces together for powder coating.

For questions

First....the dash is from bcc so there is a frame for the inserts on the backside that makes it thicker than the passenger, will this be a problem in the future with body fitment and assuming I just need to add a spacer on the passenger side against the 3/4 hoop dash bar so its straight across

Second....how much of the wiring can I successfully do with riveting and all without having the coyote harness?

Third....any feedback on anything is greatly appreciated

Fourth, how are people mounting their dash to the hoop, I plan on getting the dash upholstered so i dont wanna screw it from the outside, seems tacky.

Post Thanks / Like
    20200405_065939.jpg

Here is the wiring with the dash, few changes from this morning is that I removed the ground wires from the dash harness connector and am routing them to a grounding bar that will be attached on the frame behind the dash. This was to simplify the harness with cleaning it up aswell as I didn't care for how it daisy chained everything into the same 16 gauge wire.
    Last edited by nick7405; 04-06-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Making some good progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally like the "bolt on" dash look

MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Made some progress over the last few months, made some tweaks to the wiring harness and attached them permanently with zip tie mounts that are secured via rivets. Also riveted the fuel system finally after starring at it for a few weeks lol. All lights are the weather proof connections from breeze automotive. Also from breeze got their battery relocation and radiator support and hinge kit which are in place.

Lastly dropped the motor in on Friday which went smoothly considering it was just me and the wife. Took a total of an hour minus me having to switch sides with motor mounts
    20200703_155148.jpg
    20200703_155138.jpg
    20200703_155201.jpg
    20200703_134110.jpg

35. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I'm waiting for the sound deadenner to arrive I mocked up and got the seats installed with breeze mount kit.
    20200808_083727.jpg
    20200808_084616.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great so far. Is there a reason you went with powder coating on all of your panels instead of Lizard skin or another kind of sound deadening product? Curious!
    FFR MKIV Complete Kit - Blueprint 427 TKO 600 - IRS 3.55 Center section and Spindles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty close to first start, waiting on radiator tubing from boig and do last checks then first start

20201204_143604.jpg
    20201204_143529.jpg
    20201204_143326.jpg
    20201204_143317.jpg
    20201204_143256.jpg
    20201203_184052.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished testing all the lights and making sure no electrical issues. Nothing so far, anybody have any lessons learned from their first start?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your gauge layout looks great. I almost did the same with the metal boards but never did.

In regard to first start, after checking all of my connections for the millionth time, the biggest concerns were fuel pressure/leaks and oil pressure. Just make sure your engine is properly primed with good oil pressure and let the fuel pump run for a moment before igniting so that you can identify any leaks. Have friends/family involved so that they can identify leaks as well. Have a fire extinguisher at the ready and roll outside before starting if you can. And oh, don't forget the adult beverage to celebrate once that beast comes to life! But sounds like you've been here before so I'm sure all will go well.
    Last edited by cv2065; 12-06-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Your gauge layout looks great. I almost did the same with the metal boards but never did.

In regard to first start, after checking all of my connections for the millionth time, the biggest concerns were fuel pressure/leaks and oil pressure. Just make sure your engine is properly primed with good oil pressure and let the fuel pump run for a moment before igniting so that you can identify any leaks. Have friends/family involved so that they can identify leaks as well. Have a fire extinguisher at the ready and roll outside before starting if you can. And oh, don't forget the adult beverage to celebrate once that beast comes to life! But sounds like you've been here before so I'm sure all will go well.
    Thanks for the tips, I am still contemplating on the last gauge, I have narrowed it down to fuel pressure or air fuel ratio. Most likely fuel pressure since I have a sniper with the handheld.

Waiting on the cool tubes to arrive from boig and should be really close to the start.