Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Suggestions - Engine Re-install

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions - Engine Re-install

Had to remove the engine for a oil related problem (ugly story), left transmission installed. Now that the engine is ready to go back in, should I remove the tranny, hookup to the engine and install together or try to marry the engine to the tranny while it's still in the car? Fully assembled & painted car. Help!
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will have less frustration, by removing the trans, re install on engine.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure you will get opinions both ways. I would have pulled them together. But since the transmission is still in, I would try it.

Just be ready for a jiggle-fest trying to get them mated up. You probably already know, but here are my helpful hints either way you go:

1. Use a clutch alignment tool to get the clutch centered.
    2. For that last 3/4" that always is a bear. Never use bolts to pull it in.
    3. For that last 3/4", use a clamp on the clutch fork to disengage the clutch, and it will pop in. I fought mine for 15 minutes last time and then disengaged the clutch and it slid right in.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't have the courage to attempt that task.
    When I had to do it, I pulled them both.

Drive Line Pulled:
    https://youtu.be/Vhbftk4AP4k

Drive Line Replaced:
    https://youtu.be/-nVDzIjSjh8

If it was an automatic, I'd be okay with leaving the transmission in.
    For what it is worth, Avalanche is much braver that this wrench swinging banker.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-18-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd pull the trans and install at the same time. I think the time you'll spend on your back, frustration and time wasted, you could have done it the other way...Unless of course you get lucky and it goes right in..
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone try using alignment studs for the transmission to bellhousing mating? Used to do that all the time on my Corvette went in very easy.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

7. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Avalanche is much braver that this wrench swinging banker.
    Well the OP is too far away to ask me to come over to help! So I figured I'm safe.

I should had said, try it for 30 - 45 min tops. Sometimes with the clamp on the clutch fork (after it is almost all the way in) they pop into place. Haven't done it in an FFR myself, but I have done it in other cars. I have only removed and installed together in the FFR. Sooooo.... I should have either stated that, or kept my mouth shut.

9. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    For what it is worth, Avalanche is much braver that this wrench swinging banker.
    Working on it from the otherside a clutch replacement this retired banker & ex tracked vehicle recovery mechanic will try to loosen & slightly move the engine forward, tilt it down then slide the transmission out from underneath.

If Plan A does not work will go to Plan B & pull the whole thing out & be unhappy Plan A did not work out.

Am also hoping to swap my coolant & oil sensors out so I can finally get the new instruments into the dash.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I like to leave the tranny in place and install the engine. Not tough if the clutch plate is aligned properly (use the alignment tool). Be sure the centerlines of the engine and tranny are on the same plane and it will slide together without any issue, other than a wiggle or two!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have an engine levelor, I'd put the engine back in as is. If not, pull the trans. Two things are critical for them to mate. Engine must be parallel to the trans and the splines must engage. I use a floor jack under the trans to raise the front a bit and adjust it's angle. The levelor lets you adjust the engine angle a degree at a time. I get it all aligned, move the hoist a little to put a bit of rearward pressure on the engine, then turn the crank w/ a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt. With it in gear and park brake on, the trans doesn't rotate so rotating the crank brings the splines into alignment. I also really like the alignment bolts technique.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have done it both ways without any problems. I do use alignment studs when trans is in car.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have done it both ways without any problems. I do use alignment studs when trans is in car.