FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: If you plan on selling your unfinished car - a little bit of a rant

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on selling your unfinished car - a little bit of a rant

Hey all... as you know many years back Factory Five had an issue with Bilstein Shocks and in combination with the supplied springs combined into a situation that caused the shock ends to break. Factory Five coordinated with Bilstein to get all the defective shocks recalled and reworked as well as replacing the springs.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ilstein+recall

I was over at someones house this weekend who had purchased a non-completed car from its original owner. It is a Mark 3 - He got my name from the local group and he reached out to me to come by and see the car and to answer a few questions he had about the car in general and to see if I could give him a few pointers.... Nice car and got a great deal on the thing... but as I was walking around it I noticed the Bilstein (Breaksteins) on there and they has NOT been reworked and still have the high spring count springs installed!!! I couldn't believe it! His car is an IRS so ALL 4 CORNERS were bad.

Please - if you have these on your non-completed cars - or have them on your completed cars - get rid of them and contact Bilstein for rework... for sure I would ask (for the others) - if you are selling the car with known recall/safety issue you should let the buyer know.

I have seen a couple catches in the last months - Jeff K pickup up on one I believe recently... these shocks were tagged back in 2007! and they are still out there...

anyway... if you know of anyone who is in the market for a non-completed kit (or completed I suppose) - please let them know.... I would sure hate for somebody to hurt themselves or somebody else.

stay safe!!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right Erik, they're still out there. I've gotten two orphaned Mk3s to build to completion in the last 5 years and both had the non-upgraded Bils. I've also spotted a few in forum posts as you noted.

An FYI for anyone who not be aware---if you have any of the Bilsteins with the A273 number they are subject to recall and upgrade. These were used on the front of all roadsters and Coupes and the rear of IRS cars. If they have had the upgrade done the shaft will be 14mm rather than 11mm. As of last winter Bilstein was still performing the upgrade if you sent them the shocks.

Good catch Erik!

Jeff

3. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just took in a Mark 3 from 2004 with the old shocks. Just sent them off to be rebuilt. 'Anyone know where I can get new springs?
    Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I have FFR front control arms and coil overs that I purchased with my kit in 2001. They have ~17,000 miles on them. Should I be concerned about the shocks breaking?
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    I have FFR front control arms and coil overs that I purchased with my kit in 2001. They have ~17,000 miles on them. Should I be concerned about the shocks breaking?
    2001 are probably Pro shocks, not Bilsteins. What do they look like? Bilsteins are cad plated, almost chrome looking, with black spromhs, hats and collars.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    2001 are probably Pro shocks, not Bilsteins. What do they look like? Bilsteins are cad plated, almost chrome looking, with black spromhs, hats and collars.

Jeff
    They are Pro shocks. B683B152-290A-4CE3-911D-F2C3BA79506A.jpeg
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    So joining the post late I've got a 2006 MKlll with the A273's on all 4 corners What's the better choice for replacing these? Thanks in advance for your input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalLo View Post
    So joining the post late I've got a 2006 MKlll with the A273's on all 4 corners What's the better choice for replacing these? Thanks in advance for your input!
    Least expensive choice would be to contact Bilstein and have them upgraded.
    Here is the contact information :

AFTERMARKET & MOTORSPORTS HEADQUARTERS - WEST
    ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
    14102 Stowe Drive
    Poway, CA. 92064
    1-858-386-5900

AFTERMARKET & MOTORSPORTS – EAST
    ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
    293 Timber Road
    Mooresville, NC. 28115-7868
    1-704-663-7563
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Good catch Erik and thanks for checking out my car and pointing that out. Bilstein is still doing the upgrade for $35 each. I sent mine off a few days after you pointed it out. Of note they said 60-90 days so plan ahead for a long lead time.

Car is coming along well. Of note for others buying an orphan, check everything. My previous builder torqued nothing. As an example, the lower shock lock nuts were finger lose (would have eventually dropped the suspension end) and the internal hydraulic clutch lines weren't even hand tight. Had to split transmission from bell housing and slide back to get access to replace hardware. Since engine is in place I hope he torqued the oil pickup. From my airplane building experience I'm marking all bolts with torque seal for a visual check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Frank! Thanks for the contact info!! Hope ALL is well with ya'lls!

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep Scott - no problem... that's what we are here for... every car that gets done the better the world will be let me know if you need anything else
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Still happens. We keep a set of 4 here, fronts are rears of the bad Bilstein shocks here that we took off a car when the guy did the right thing he said just keep them. We LOAN them out to locals who have not done the swap and inevitably break a shock. These get them by for a few weeks. I insist on getting them back and bug them about the sending of the old ones in or getting the new Koni parts. Also we have made very ugly so no one wants to keep them LOL.

A very good point though. They are dangerous.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.