Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In tank fuel pump wiring question

Post Thanks / Like

In tank fuel pump wiring question

So I thought I would be slick and use only enough wire for what I needed when I wired my EFI in tank fuel pump. Who needs the excess wire right?

Then I Used heat shrink, all is good. However, I DID NOT use gasoline resistant heat shrink. At the time I didn’t know that was a thing.

Question:
    Instead on buying a new pump hanger Would it be alright if I add a section of wire using another set of crimps and the proper heat shrink?

That would be a total of 4 crimps, not the original 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a statement of advice only experience. In course of 18 years of 5.0 mods and changing out fuel pump to larger sizes
    Made electrical connections in the tank same as they were in the air. Do not understand it just did it and it worked.
    Less is Less

Post Thanks / Like
    An extra set of crimps, done properly, shouldn't hurt anything. Not my first choice, but I probably wouldn't replace the whole pump hangar for that. Another approach, if your pump motor has a pigtail like many do, is to replace that side. Not the whole hangar. This is an example that fits the commonly used Walbro pumps: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-94-615. Not expensive. You can probably get away with using non-gasoline resistant shrink sleeve. But put some in a jar of gasoline and check what it looks like the next day. Probably not what you want in there.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    An extra set of crimps, done properly, shouldn't hurt anything. Not my first choice, but I probably wouldn't replace the whole pump hangar for that. Another approach, if your pump motor has a pigtail like many do, is to replace that side. Not the whole hangar. This is an example that fits the commonly used Walbro pumps: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-94-615. Not expensive. You can probably get away with using non-gasoline resistant shrink sleeve. But put some in a jar of gasoline and check what it looks like the next day. Probably not what you want in there.
    That sounds like a great option, thanks. I assume i would be looking for a mustang style harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarstiller View Post
    So I thought I would be slick and use only enough wire for what I needed when I wired my EFI in tank fuel pump. Who needs the excess wire right?

Then I Used heat shrink, all is good. However, I DID NOT use gasoline resistant heat shrink. At the time I didn’t know that was a thing.

Question:
    Instead on buying a new pump hanger Would it be alright if I add a section of wire using another set of crimps and the proper heat shrink?

That would be a total of 4 crimps, not the original 2.
    Whenever I don't want to trust crimps I solder the wire and cover the connection with shrink tube. If it's a critical component or hard to reach location it's better not to use crimps anyway.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I swear I could write a book on how to do things wrong, haha.

I thought you were referring to the plug OUTSIDE the tank. So I tore mine apart trying to figure out how a new one would go in...

About an hour into looking for connectors I realized you meant the connector on the PUMP!

Guess I’m ordering a new bracket after all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarstiller View Post
    I swear I could write a book on how to do things wrong, haha.

I thought you were referring to the plug OUTSIDE the tank. So I tore mine apart trying to figure out how a new one would go in...

About an hour into looking for connectors I realized you meant the connector on the PUMP!

Guess I’m ordering a new bracket after all!
    Oops. The link I provided to the pigtail from Summit (also available lots of other places) goes between the wires on the hangar and the pump motor itself. Thought I explained it, but sorry for the confusion. Visible in this picture of the pump I just installed in my Coupe build. Between the crimp connectors and the pump motor on the right.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edward. You explained it fine, I just tend to take the long way around sometimes, haha. Thank you for the help. I went ahead and ordered a new one, and I won’t cut the wires too short, Lesson learned!!!!