Hi there all,
Well it has been 2 months since first start. I have been sorting out a few things like power steering, alignment (Longacre), electrical and driveshaft angle. I completed all the mechanical work a month ago (then a roller, but no place to go-cart) and have been contemplating installing the body. The mechanical stuff is easy for me, but it looks like bodywork takes an artist.
With all I have read it is confusing and intimidating. Put the body on, take the body off, put the body on, take the body off, ad infinitum. Also the FFR body installation video says that many edges must be trimmed such as the lip around the dash, the lip behind the seats, radius the wheel wells, and so on. And then other posts suggest the body is almost ok as is.
I would rather just put the body on once. Is that possible or recommended? I have read that some guys leave it in gel coat for awhile. I am anxious to have it licensed so I can drive it. What is really necessary to do now? How much success would I have if I were to drop the body on now? Should I under coat first? Or, perhaps, have I missed some things that should be done now with the body off?
Many folks send their car off to one of the Jeff’s to have it painted which takes 5-6 months (??) and costs a bunch. I am retired and don’t have a bunch of money. So I will have to do the bodywork myself. What is the best approach; body on…body off?
I need some advice or please point me at some useful posts. I haven’t been very successful searching all the posts. So the chassis just sits there while I worry myself silly.
Thank you for any help you can give me,
Jeff