Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: From Houston, Texas

Post Thanks / Like

From Houston, Texas

Houston Texas
    Information on Daytona 65 coupe here on forum. I live in Jersey Village, Houston, Texas area and wanted to talk to a owner who build a 65 coupe. Wanted to ask some simple questions so any input would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is it easy as FFR say, just read the manual and start putting things together?
    2) When you order a kit does it come with "everything" you need to start putting it together? (Except motor and drive train)
    3) Do they ship the kit all in one shipment or do they stage the shipping?
    4) If you build one what was the easiest and what was the hardest part of building one?
    5) If you could start over what would you do differently this time around?
    6) How much was your budget and how much under or over did you go on your budget?

Thank you.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pzero View Post
    Houston Texas
    Information on Daytona 65 coupe here on forum. I live in Jersey Village, Houston, Texas area and wanted to talk to a owner who build a 65 coupe. Wanted to ask some simple questions so any input would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is it easy as FFR say, just read the manual and start putting things together?
    2) When you order a kit does it come with "everything" you need to start putting it together? (Except motor and drive train)
    4) If you build one what was the easiest and what was the hardest part of building one?
    6) How much was your budget and how much under or over did you go on your budget?

Thank you.
    Paul
    Hello Paul, I live in Kingwood and have just recently got my 65 titled and street legal. It is not "finished"...they never are! But it is in pretty good shape.

Send me a pm and I'll respond so we can get together and you can actually see and hear details.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Welcome, let me start by saying that a lot depends on ones skill level. I build mine with only oil change, brakes and tire rotation experience.

There are always hurdles in your path, but the forums are your best source of info to keep you going.

If all else fails there are several guys that can either come and help you or finish your car for you.

You will invest in more tools (gleco tools for instance), fluids, gasket maker, caulk, bolts, nuts etc. but no big ticket items.

Most experience back orders

Drilling and riveting the aluminium was easy, hardest part was getting the engine started but I sourced help for that.

Plan ahead more on all the items I wanted in the car. I added things as I went along and that was usually more time consuming.

Depends if you go donor route which not many people do anymore. I did and it saved me a lot of money as did looking for deals on Craigslist, ebay etc.

Hope that helps and good luck!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

Thank you very much for your input and taking the time answering my questions. I think this forum will be my best help and also couple of friends who contacted me via forum, such as Fred. Thank you both. I'll have to start planning what I want on a check list.