Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cleveland Thermostat

Post Thanks / Like

Cleveland Thermostat

For those of you who either have a Cleveland powered roadster (or anything) and have marginal cooling, or for those of you considering a Cleveland build, be sure to get the correct thermostat!

Some background:

Since finishing FFR 8317, my cooling system has been marginal, especially in the hot Arizona summer. It seemed that nothing I did was totally effective in correcting the cooling system issues. It would seem fine at speed (anything above 2000 RPM), but the water temp would creep up to near 200 whenever I was idling, driving in slow traffic, etc. Well, the other day I was just surfing YouTube and ran across a post by one of our "Oz" counterparts about exactly this issue, and lo and behold the cure is a specific thermostat! It is a "Robert Shaw" style with a collar on the bottom that just fits into the restrictor plate under the thermostat mounting area (you still have it, right?) when the thermostat is at temperature (open). It is sold by FlowKooler (Moderator: sorry for the specific vendor reference) under RobertShaw part number 333-180 (180 deg F).

So, I replaced the "parts counter correct" thermostat (also a Robert Shaw style, but without the collar) with this one and now #8317 runs right at 180 Deg F, idling or otherwise!

We are never too old to learn something!
    Last edited by frankb; 11-19-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like there are very few of us!!! I will add this part to my list, thanks Frank!!
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit ordered, promised date 04/13/24
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23!!!
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Higgy:

You are the one I had in mind when posting this thread!

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

4. Thanks Higgybulin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good to know! Was planning on using Cleveland on my future build (nostalgia reasons). It’s out of my father’s old pantera. It chronically ran hot. We just assumed it was the cooling system on the pantera. I’ll have to check the thermostat.

J. Larson

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also running a Cleveland in my old Contemporary Cobra and experience the same issues. Thanks for the info and going to give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 351 Cleveland in my Pantera. With the correct thermostat and a good radiator, it does not overheat. I love the motor and coupled with the ZF gearbox, it makes a pretty solid powertrain. Joel