BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: High Flow Engine Oil Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

High Flow Engine Oil Cooler

Hey guys,

Has anyone used something similar to the automatic engine oil cooler thermostat part from Improved Racing below?

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-th...tat-p-212.html

I plan on running the Lingenfelter oil cooler adapter plate which will feed filtered oil towards the cooler, but I want to run the above to control the temp at which it actually flows to the cooler in order to allow the motor to warm up properly and not over cool oil. I can choose the temp for this thermostat block to open at (145, 165, 185, 205, and 215).

What would you guys recommend as a temp for this thermostat for an LS3/427 that dynode at out 625hp?

Thanks for your help.

2. Likes rolfer liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dry or went sump?

Post Thanks / Like
    No knowledge of the one mentioned.

I've run the Canton and will again for the current build. Also their tall canister oil filter and a 3qt Accusump. Setrab 915 cooler plumbed with AN-12 lines.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...hermostat.html

Aluminum 427W at about 540 crank hp. I've been quite pleased but will move to the 920 or 925 cooler.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll be going with a wet sump setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    No knowledge of the one mentioned.

I've run the Canton and will again for the current build. Also their tall canister oil filter and a 3qt Accusump. Setrab 915 cooler plumbed with AN-12 lines.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...hermostat.html

Aluminum 427W at about 540 crank hp. I've been quite pleased but will move to the 920 or 925 cooler.

Jim
    Thanks for the link Jim, I’ll read up on this for sure and glad to hear it has worked as intended for your previous build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went a slightly different direction on my current build. I have a wet sump with a 3 quart Accusump. I'm using an oil cooler adapter http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...ines-p-68.html and a heat exchanger from C & R Racing https://www.crracing.com/product/oil...2-inlet-outlet
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    I would choose 205*.

When the thermostat is closed, about 10% of the oil flows through the cooler. That allows the oil to circulate through the entire system and all warm up at the same time. When the thermostat is fully open, about 10% of the oil bypasses the cooler.

A good engine oil will easily withstand 220-230* for extended periods of time. Running it cooler than 200* provides no advantage. Too cool and it creates other problems.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    I would choose 205*.

When the thermostat is closed, about 10% of the oil flows through the cooler. That allows the oil to circulate through the entire system and all warm up at the same time. When the thermostat is fully open, about 10% of the oil bypasses the cooler.

A good engine oil will easily withstand 220-230* for extended periods of time. Running it cooler than 200* provides no advantage. Too cool and it creates other problems.
    What Bob said. The hotter you run the oil and at lower pressure, the more HP you will make. I have run quality synthetic oil at 350+ degrees for extended periods in classes where coolers were not allowed. I also broke a seven year old track record and one of the ways I did that was to preheat the oil, and chill the water. Some places heat is good and some places heat is not. This was in an event where we only had two laps to break the record/set a lap time so it was critical that the oil was up to temperature before the run. Water temp usually works best at 210-220 and oil temps are usually 10-20 degrees higher in general. I think I would use the 215 degree option.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent, thank you for the feedback guys. I'm now infinitely smarter than I was a couple days ago.