BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Upper radiator hose

Post Thanks / Like

Upper radiator hose

Does anyone know if there is a pre-formed upper hose that will fit with a 302, going to the FFR radiator with the filler on the passenger side. I ran into an issue, and could use a little luck in finding this part. Three steps forward, two steps back.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I run a Cleveland engine, the hose from the filler to the radiator that I use should fit your application. It is a Gates #22301.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Frank. You wouldn't have a picture that has that hose in it would you?
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

4. Likes brewha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Breeze upper and lower pieces, quality stuff

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob Boig's Cool Tubes.

Last edited by Papa; 11-23-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. The #22301 unfortuntely is a 1-3/4" id, which is a 1/4" too big. I'll check these possibilities out.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my cool tubes.

The other option is make a template (a good old fashioned wire coat hanger) and head for a parts store and see if they will let you in back to poke around. Preferably a more old school one.

Last resort would be a flex hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a 45 degree elbow reducer. The information is below. As stated, it allows you to transition from 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". Take many measurements and cut a little at a time. Worked perfectly with the Boig upper radiator hose and the Michimoto radiator. Hope this helps.

Please review the hoses listed below for 45 Degree Elbow reducer 1-1/4" ID to 1-1/2" ID
    http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/cat...TSER45-125-150
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the ideas guys. After checking all of them out, I found the piece of the stainless flex hose that was left over after my original installation. I hadn't been able to find it, but I ran across it today in my disorganized shop. It looks to be almost right on as far as the needed length, and I'll be able to avoid another purchase that I really don't need right now. Somewhere down the road I may switch to the Boig cool tubes, but can't afford it right now. Thanks again for all the help.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the slow response with the photo...here you go...

IMG_20160826_120812444.jpg
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    I also used the reducing sleeves that came with the kit to take up the extra 1/4" diameter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was never able to get the kit supplied hose setup to work. It kept weeping at all the connections, I kept tightening the clamps until the plastic T filler collapsed with the engine running and warm, spraying coolant everywhere. Apparently I found the limit of hose clamp tightening it would take and crossed it.
    Ordered the cool tubes from breeze, installed, no more leaks. It would be on my list of must haves for a new build, would have saved me a lot of time and effort.
    Also, if you haven’t already, you probably need a bigger overflow tank.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    At a minimum, I'd recommend replacing the plastic filler with an aluminum one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/csi-973/

I have one new in the box; $50 delivered to your door. PM me if you're interested.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 11-23-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy peasy man! It isn't all sexy looking like the polished stainless ones but if you just pick up an upper hose for a 5.0 Fox body Mustang:

Then cut off the second 90 degree bend and put it together with the T filler like this it will flat out work and only cost you about 15 bucks!

You're welcome

Jeff

17. Likes Ian G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO NO NO Jeff, simple easy and inexpensive is not needed here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Frank. I wasn't thinking about the reducing sleeves from the kit.
    Murd, I wasn't too excited by the plastic tee filler, so I got an aluminum one. I hope I have better luck with the fittings if I decide to stay with my lower hose in the corrugated stainless from the kit.
    Dave, thanks for the offer, but as I mention above, I did get an aluminum tee filler.
    Jeff, That's what I was hoping for! You wouldn't happen to have the part number for that hose would you? Also, in looking at the picture of it installed, I noticed that the lower is also a standard hose. Any idea of what hose was used for that?
    Rich, While I appreciate your concern with Jeff trying to save me some money, (I know the rule is that when you ask for things like this we're supposed to spend people's money), I'm running out of funds! $15 as compared to $100 works for me. I do appreciate the link to the Boig cool tubes. Somewhere down the road,...maybe.

Thanks again to everyone.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick:

For the bottom, I used two hoses with a support loop at the X brace. The hose numbers are: Radiator to splice (X brace): Gates 21953. From the splice to the water pump: Gates 22083. The 22083 requires one of the reducing sleeves at the splice, but not the water pump. The splice is an aluminum splice tube, about 5". I will look for a part number and send a photo later, probably tomorrow. I am not sure about the size of your water pump inlet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo of the bottom radiator hose:

IMG_20160826_120907458.jpg IMG_20160826_120833821.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The hose connector was from Jegs, part number 555-511171: https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Frank. I get the upper hose on Monday, so I'll take care of that one. Then I'll srart putting the parts together for the lower. I've been worried about the corrugated stainless from FFR since I installed it.
    After seven years it looks like I might reach the finish line after all! The members on these forums have been invaluable to me with all the questions I've had over the years.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    ...Jeff, That's what I was hoping for! You wouldn't happen to have the part number for that hose would you? Also, in looking at the picture of it installed, I noticed that the lower is also a standard hose. Any idea of what hose was used for that?
    Man, you just want to be spoon fed don't ya'

The upper is for a Fox body 5.0 Mustang, just say 1990 to make it easy---NAPA NBH7865. The lower is made up from two hoses that get coupled; the one from the pump is for an early 1990s V6 Thunderbird and is NAPA NBH7364. The hose from the splice forward to the radiator is Goodyear 61657 (I don't have the interchange number handy but any good parts store can reference it for what they carry---Dayco, NAPA, etc) and is for an early 1980s Buick Century/Olds Cutlass Ciera with a 3.0 V6. You can make the splice right below the X member using the short metal coupler provided by FFR and then secure it to the X with a 2 hole electrical conduit clamp. This combination doesn't require using any of the hose bushings. I've used it on 3 or 4 builds and it works out well.

Cheers,
    Jeff

25. Likes Ian G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, i can't tell you how much I appreciate this. The fact that you have used this on builds you have done tells me that this is my solution. The fact that this will save me a bunch of money that I don't have right now, and keep me from having issues with the direction I was going is tremendous. Spoon fed, maybe, but you saved me from trying to reinvent the wheel. Thank you sir.
    Rick