Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Evaluating Aero effects

Post Thanks / Like

Evaluating Aero effects

I was looking at some way to measure shock travel so I could evaluate wing angle and front chines etc. RacePAK at $1200ish was out of my range. I found sensors on eBay from an Australian auto sports company. I have looked at stuff on Alibaba before but never purchased it. I found sensors that were the same specs as the Australian pones for $23.00 each including express shipping!!! Here they are: I am going to use 1/2 coupling nuts to mount the rod ends on to the end of the shock mount bolts. Awesome huh. $94 for all 4 shocks I will be able to also compare chassis roll with and without a swaybar.

shock sensor (2).jpg

2. Thanks Scargo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interested in doing something like this to evaluate aero loads. Can you post the details of where you got those linear sensors?
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Search Alibaba for the below page.
    25A5B6BC-A6E5-45DA-98DD-E46C71D96D2B.jpg
    DD63E280-0A7C-41F7-89B4-E868B3D95F5F.png
    Let me know if I can be of anymore help?

Post Thanks / Like
    If those work I may have to order a set for myself just because I'm curious how my suspension redesign will act. Are they just an analog voltage output vs. deflection?
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, DC in up to 48vdc and a variable output vdc as a result of its position.

Post Thanks / Like
    About 10 years ago i need to do a data aquisition system monitor an EV during a driving cycle. It worked very well and was cheap. this would work great for moitoring 4 shocks.

https://www.dataq.com/products/di-11...4aAt9GEALw_wcB
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m fortunate I’m running the Haltech ECU, with an I/O board I can monitor them with that and over lay g forces speed and gps data.

9. Thanks walt555 thanked for this post
    Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brd.Prey View Post
    I’m fortunate I’m running the Haltech ECU, with an I/O board I can monitor them with that and over lay g forces speed and gps data.
    Are you using the 1500 unit? I’m running that one myself. Lots of input options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes 1500 elite. Not hardly enough inputs, I am having to add a canbus A and B I/O box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brd.Prey View Post
    I was looking at some way to measure shock travel so I could evaluate wing angle and front chines etc. RacePAK at $1200ish was out of my range. I found sensors on eBay from an Australian auto sports company. I have looked at stuff on Alibaba before but never purchased it. I found sensors that were the same specs as the Australian pones for $23.00 each including express shipping!!! Here they are: I am going to use 1/2 coupling nuts to mount the rod ends on to the end of the shock mount bolts. Awesome huh. $94 for all 4 shocks I will be able to also compare chassis roll with and without a swaybar.

shock sensor (2).jpg
    Awesome. Please let us know how they work out.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do

Post Thanks / Like
    Installation was easy. I am wiring them in to a I/O extender for the Haltech. I made up Deutch connectors for it all. Now get the car done and out on the track.
    RR sensor.jpg
    RR Sensor2.jpg
    LF Sensor2.jpg
    LF Sensor.jpg

15. Likes aquillen, Hobby Racer, Mitch Wright liked this post