FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Paint Brands

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Brands

I recently ran out of 2 part high build urethane primer. A trip to my local automotive paint store (where I am supposed to get a small discount) almost caused a heart attack from the high cost of some replacement. That same day I received a Summit Racing "tools" catalog and they had a good selection of automotive paints. The 2 part high build urethane primer they carried was about 1/2 the price of the automotive paint store.
    The question is, have any of you builders used the Summit paints and were you happy with the results?

Post Thanks / Like
    Paint and prep materials aren't the place to cheap out. I use PPG and Evercoat products exclusively. Do you really want to gamble on an off brand for the the bottom foundation layer to save 60 bucks and then spray $1,000 to $2,000 or more worth of base and clear on top of it?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said, no need to cut corners with something that everybody and their brother are going to see.
    You should see my bill for primer, sealer, base and clear from PPG envirobase....but I know that in the end it will be what I want it to be and last a long time.

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using summit racing urethane primer and the summit clear for a couple of years.
    A lot less expensive then anything I can find locally and it has held up well. I painted my jeep Cj and my daughters tj a couple of years ago with no issues. I do use the omni brand base coat but summit clear. I am not sure who makes summit products but it's a quality product. I am actually in the middle of painting my roadster now and just sprayed the urethane primer last weekend.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Paint and prep materials aren't the place to cheap out. I use PPG and Evercoat products exclusively. Do you really want to gamble on an off brand for the the bottom foundation layer to save 60 bucks and then spray $1,000 to $2,000 or more worth of base and clear on top of it?

Jeff
    Like Jeffski, my pal Ernie (Founder & Owner / Dependable Paint & Body / Slidell, La.) also exclusively uses PPG & Evercoat products.

https://www.collisionrepairslidell.com/

40 years later his shop is still the most reputable one in town and his little shop has taken care of our fender bender and/or painting needs since the early 1980's.

https://youtu.be/A5WUZgl6N5Q

He'll be mixing all of my paint and we'll be using his booth when we do the final spray-out our MK-4.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-23-2019 at 10:16 AM.