Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Brake Help

Post Thanks / Like

Need Brake Help

Guys
    After 3,500 miles on my Cobra i have never been happy with the braking. Non Power 12.88 Wilwood front and 12.19 Wilwood rear, .75 in Wilwood front master and .625 rear master. I have never driven a cobra set up like mine or any Cobra for that matter so not sure how it should perform. My pedal seems soft and I need to really, really put a lot of pressure on the pedal to even come close to locking up the wheel a wheel. I have bled the brakes the old way with two people that i have done for years on other cars, i have dried speed bleeders, I have tried vacuum bleeding from each caliper and build a pressure bleeding system which I have attempted many times on this car without any change. After all these different ways to bleed I don’t have any air bubbles bubbles while bleeding. Today i bench bled both masters while installed in the car hoping this would do it, no luck. I have Stainless steal brake lines front to back and check the fittings, none are leaking. How do you know if one or both Master Cylinders are bad? Should this system lock the brakes up fairly easy? Below are some pictures.
    Thanks much Dan

E39460CB-CC58-4A0A-A8D2-FA2A512E9E0E.jpegE39460CB-CC58-4A0A-A8D2-FA2A512E9E0E.jpegFA14FC8B-19A4-43E6-B333-160F8F06B711.jpeg03F1CCA2-B76B-4860-9836-CB1484F337EF.jpeg7F09F8D0-D1C8-4C66-A085-748A7C601A93.jpgBED984E8-D374-438A-BB5C-E5C02E91B671.jpg

2. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It should be fairly easy to stop the car on a dime. You have all the right equipment in place.

Measure the pedal ratio. It should be 6 or 7'ish. I know you have all the parts supplied by FFR, and they should be correct. But measure anyway and move on.

What pads do you have? Did you bed them in according to instructions?
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I can offer any help as my brakes (same Wilwood setup you have) are working really well. I'd like to complement you on the very nice looking setup on your lines and reservoirs. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to check the runout on the calipers. The rotor should be right in the center of the caliper. Mine required a few shims to get things to line up perfectly.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I did double check the calipers to make sure they are centered, I did bed the pads per Wilwood instructions. The pads are what came with the kit from FFR. If a master cylinder is bad shouldn’t it have an exterior leak you can identify or can the fluid stay in the cylinder with a leaky seal??
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    With the system properly bled, you should get a hard pedal. You're describing it as seeming to be soft. But that can be subjective. It should stop a couple inches after being pushed down, and when held hard at that spot for a couple minutes at least, shouldn't move. If it doesn't, chances are the MC's are OK. I suspect not everyone will agree with this, but how well your car stops is more important than when it will/will not skid the tires. We run big and often very sticky tires, so some variation there. More importantly, how does it feel? Like you have good stopping power? Especially when pulling down hard like a panic stop? With everything else being OK, you may end up needing more aggressive pads to get the feel and performance you're happy with.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan

From my experience if you’re pedal is soft then there’s air in the system and you will have to stand on the brake pedal to stop the car

I love your work on the master cylinders and the brake lines but looking at your brake reservoir they do not have a diaphragm and a vent to allow air into the reservoir when you use the brakes and as the pads wear. This setup will cause a vacuum in the system and air will enter at the weakest point the master cylinder shaft seal. Over time you will notice that the pedal keeps getting softer as more air is sucked into the system.

I replaced my reservoir with one of the newer style from FFR about 10k miles ago and my brake pedal is still rock hard and the brakes work great I can lock up all four wheels without much effort

Hope this helps

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward good to hear from you. I don’t drive the cobra hard more pleasure driving, I’m not uncomfortable driving it but the pedal always seems soft. I decided this fall to hit the brakes hard at 30MPH did this a few times just to see what would happen. I had to exert huge amount if brake pressure to get the tires to come close to locking up, almost feels like an ABS system. Not sure if this matters but when I have the reservoir caps off and but very lite pressure on the brakes the fluid raises out 1/8 inch in both reservoirs, no bubbles just moves the fluid up and down..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DANW View Post
    Edward good to hear from you. I don’t drive the cobra hard more pleasure driving, I’m not uncomfortable driving it but the pedal always seems soft. I decided this fall to hit the brakes hard at 30MPH did this a few times just to see what would happen. I had to exert huge amount if brake pressure to get the tires to come close to locking up, almost feels like an ABS system. Not sure if this matters but when I have the reservoir caps off and but very lite pressure on the brakes the fluid raises out 1/8 inch in both reservoirs, no bubbles just moves the fluid up and down..
    Just doesn't sound right. Manual is always going to have a heavy pedal compared to power that we're all use to. But you should have good stopping power and not feel like you're describing. I've had good success with pressure bleeding using caps on the reservoirs with a Schrader valve. CNC for the first builds, and modded a Tilton cap for my Coupe build. 6-8 PSI in the reservoir and going around the brakes farthest to closest, have always been able to get the air out and have a firm pedal and good brakes. I've never tried observing the level in the reservoirs while the brakes are operated, so don't know if that's normal or not. I would be very surprised if you have two bad MC's.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the pressure bleeding setup I have, it works great to push fluid through the lines. I start with the rear master cylinder on the passenger rear caliper, push about 10 fluid oz’s of brake fluid then to the same on the drivers side. Then pressurize the front master cylinder, start bleeding the passenger upper inside bleeder then the upper outside bleeder, to the same on the front drivers side. Done this many times this weekend with no bubbles in the clear lines and no change in the soft pedal.F8E0B8C7-5A02-49C6-9DCC-818A3140AE63.jpg6933E585-DBE4-4731-A375-1D5D4105E4FA.jpg

11. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a single piston rear caliper or 4 piston?
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    DANW,

Interesting setup and definitely looks like it would do the trick. Here is the procedure I used to bleed my Wilwoods with perfect results the first attempt:

1. Bled the master cylinders (MC) by disconnecting the output line from the MC and running a piece of tubing from the MC output to the reservoir. Fill the reservoir and pump the brake pedal until no air in the stream of fluid entering the reservoir. Do this for each MC separately or can be done together.

2. Reconnect the output lines to the MC.

3. Fill the reservoir.

4. Pressurize the reservoir for the rear system with 3-5lbs of pressure. I have the CNC reservoir with the pressure cap, but if you buy an extra cap that fits your reservoir, you can put a Schrader valve in it to make your own pressure cap.

5. Once pressurized, start with the right rear. Attach a catch bottle with a piece of clear tubing to the top bleeder valve and slightly crack the valve open. Ensuring the reservoir doesn't run dry, repeat this process until no bubbles are seen. and then move to the left rear caliper and do the same.

IMPORTANT: Do not pump the pedal at any time with the reservoir pressurized or this can cause damage to the seals in the MC.

6. Repeat for the front starting with the right front and then moving to the left front.

7. Once you have all four calipers done, I repeat the cycle a second time starting with the right-rear again.

8. After depressurizing the MCs and replacing the caps, check for pedal firmness. The pedal should be firm after a couple of inches of travel and stay firm if held for 30-60 seconds or more.

I'm suspicious that pushing fluid through the Wilwood calipers is really getting all the air out.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Gordon
    I have a single piston in the rear and 6 piston fronts
    D2F3FC5A-0F99-4C59-B81E-AFA03651E365.jpg134731FC-B5D7-49D4-B32B-9B294A437B31.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    PAPA
    Did exactly like you described, I bench bleed both brake cylinders on the vehicle at the same time, made sure the clear lines always stayed submerged in fluid..

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the pressure bleeding setup I have, it works great to push fluid through the lines. I start with the rear master cylinder on the passenger rear caliper, push about 10 fluid oz’s of brake fluid then to the same on the drivers side. Then pressurize the front master cylinder, start bleeding the passenger upper inside bleeder then the upper outside bleeder, to the same on the front drivers side. Done this many times this weekend with no bubbles in the clear lines and no change in the soft pedal.F8E0B8C7-5A02-49C6-9DCC-818A3140AE63.jpg6933E585-DBE4-4731-A375-1D5D4105E4FA.jpg
    That should work, and your process is exactly right. Now wondering about whether you have a defective MC. They're easy to rebuild if just seals. Wilwood has a kit. But obviously a pain to get in and out. I was wondering about Gordon's question too -- whether you have the single or 4-piston rears. Although you still shouldn't have a soft pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward
    I have the part number for the wilwood repair kit, but I don’t understand if one of the masters is bad shouldn’t it be leaking under the boot???

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 4 piston setup for that rear. The master with that caliper should be fine. I can't tell from the pick whether the front caliper hase a single bleeder or dual. If it has duals you need to bleed inside then outside then in.
    Another thing I have run into is a soft pedal can but up until the time you drive it and bed in the brakes. I have had the pedal come up and feel fine afterward. Other time we drove it and bled the brakes again and there were fine after that.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,
    As you no doubt recall I drove your car a few miles when you came to pick it up after I painted it and commented on the brakes then. I've driven others with the exact same setup and there is no problem getting them to stop with authority! I don't know what you have going on but I can assure that you don't need to change the configuration to achieve excellent braking---you just need to sort out what you have.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear from you Jeff hope all is well for you and your family. I have tried everything except rebuilding the master cylinders. I just would like to know if it is a bad master cylinder and that is the is the reason for the soft pedal shouldn’t they be leaking brake fluid?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m no expert but a couple things not mentioned you could try.
    Does the pedal allow the MCs to return fully? Is the pedal hitting the cross member of the frame or does it have some play at the top?
    Is your balance bar set up correctly? Both for front and rear bias (side to side) and the front/rear push rod length. One needs to be longer (think front but can’t remember) when fully extended, should appear even at moderate pressure and offset again at pull depression. Should all be in the manual.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,

For what it's worth, here is what I posted in another thread, which dealt with a clutch bleeding problem:

"I had a similar problem, albeit with a Wilwood rear brake master cylinder on a balance bar setup. I could never get a firm pedal. I tried every bleeding process and half of the bleeding devices out there, with no success. I eventually disassembled and totally cleaned the offending master cylinder. As far as I could tell, the problem was machining debris in the orifice that allows fluid to pass into the bore. Sounds like your problem is it won't "stay bled"; my problem was I could never get it bled in the first place. Nevertheless, hope this helps."

The line routing and reservoirs are as good as I have seen, by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible it is something simple like glazed pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Murd
    You got me thinking about the balance bar, I read the Wilwood manual again and it said that the master cylinder pushrods should be screwed into the clevis at different lengths. The rear .625 inch master should be screwed into the clevis 4 turns more than the .75 inch front. Mine are set equal, maybe that is the answer, would this causes a soft pedal?? I will give it a try.. Thanks all and Happy thanksgiving...

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes sure after you adjust it that the pedal isn’t against the crossbar. The MCs need to return fully to expose the port to the reservoir. If it hits the crossbar first they may not fully extend.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Improperly adjusted balance shouldn't cause a soft pedal. Would affect bias, but you should still have a hard pedal. Agree the MC's need to be free to return against their internal stops (snap rings). Can't be hanging up on the frame. I had those single piston rear calipers on my #7750 build and for my street driving were fine. The four piston Gordon is describing, which are what the 2015+ IRS Wilwood upgrade uses, is no doubt technically superior. But you should be able to get what you have working OK. And yes, the main piston seal in the master cylinder could be leaking and no fluid leak into the boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called Wilwood tech service today. I told him I have a 5/8 inch Master Cylinder "Part#260-6087" for the rear brakes and a 3/4 inch Master Cylinder "part#260-6089" for the fronts. I was looking for a repair kit for both, he said they do not have repair kits for these masters. He said the only way they go bad is if they start leaking out the rubber boot. He also ask why I have a 5/8 inch going to the rear, it should be 3/4 inch and if anything the 5/8 inch should be for the fronts but recommended 3/4 inch for both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like is stated, the equipment that you have is tried and true. Not sure why they now supply different sized M/Cs. It does take significant pressure on the pedal if you have sticky tires. However, the soft pedal means that you have a problem. The fact that Jeff drove your car and said that your brakes don't feel right take the subjective opinion out of it.

I didn't read every word of the thread. Did you unbolt the rear calipers and move them up to 10 and 2 when bleeding and keep the pads fully on the rotor? I also would check all of the physical stuff that Murd mentioned. Especially that the M/Cs are being allowed to fully retract.

If those are all good, I would bite the bullet and change the M/Cs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called Wilwood tech service today. I told him I have a 5/8 inch Master Cylinder "Part#260-6087" for the rear brakes and a 3/4 inch Master Cylinder "part#260-6089" for the fronts. I was looking for a repair kit for both, he said they do not have repair kits for these masters. He said the only way they go bad is if they start leaking out the rubber boot. He also ask why I have a 5/8 inch going to the rear, it should be 3/4 inch and if anything the 5/8 inch should be for the fronts but recommended 3/4 inch for both.
    Interesting. Not what is traditional with MC's. But assume they should know about how they leak. But having said that, that's the same advice (5/8 in front vs. rear) that I've heard them give multiple people that have called. Going to trust Factory Five on this one, since they did it that way for a number of years. All of my builds with the Wilwood pedal box were set up that way and worked fine. The part numbers for the MC's get's a little wonky too. Agreed you won't find those part numbers. I haven't and others have reported that too. But the kit number (e.g. 260-13619) has what appears to be that same exact 3/4 MC, for example. I had to rebuild the 260-14297 MC on my Coupe build because it was leaking into the boot. I found the front seal right behind the boot was damaged. Either a defective part or damaged during Wilwood assembly. Wilwood Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit 260-10514 fit perfectly and had every part except the actual housing and fixed the problem. So not sure what to believe...

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever thought of using a brake bias pressure gauge kit?
    Smiley's racing supply has the QuickCar Mini Brake Bias Gauge Item # 61-10 and when I built my GT3 racer I had a soft pedal and found this gauge set to be invaluable when working on my brakes. It helped me diagnose the faulty area and then was a good check before hitting the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on what I think I know (dangerous) brake systems in high performance cars like the roadster should be designed to provide a front brake pressure that’s about 70% of the rear pressure, and provide for a braking ratio (front/rear clamping force vs total clamping force) of about 60/40. I have the exact same setup that Dan has, and I also have some calculations that I put together previously to help me understand the range over which it’s wise to mess with the balance bar adjustment.

When I looked at this previously I concluded that Wilwood did a really good job of sizing the various components that make up the system (master cylinders, pedal ratio, calipers, etc). That’s evident by looking at the portion of the table below in the green box. The numbers in that box reflect the system exactly as Wilwood provided it: 3/4” front master, 5/8” rear master, centered balance bar. Line pressure in the front is 69% of the rear, and the overall bias is 58% front, 42% rear. Really close to the goals of 70% and ratios of 60/40.

Now look what happens when we do nothing more than swap the front and rear master cylinder sizes (red box): line pressure in the front is 144% of the rear, and the overall bias is 74% front, 26% rear. This would render the rear brakes basically useless.

The blue box shows 3/4” master cylinders in both positions. Line pressure in the front is 100% of the rear, and the overall bias is 66% front, 34% rear. Workable with some balance bar adjustment, but not an improvement.

I believe Wilwood did a nice job on the system design out of the box. Not sure what to make of the advice to swap or equalize the sizes of the master cylinders. I wouldn’t do it. Solve the spongy pedal and the brakes will work fine. Disclaimer: I changed out the BP 10 brake pads and messed with the balance bar a bit but was able to eventually get things working to my liking.

-Karl

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Karlos, that’s quite the spreadsheet, thanks for the info. We are going to get 12 inches of snow tonight so tomorrow I’m going to take everything apart and to some investigating.. thanks all for you help, I will keep you informed.
    Happy thanksgiving Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Karlos,

Just curious - did you measure the lbf & psi values shown in your table or find them from some other party? If you generated the data, how did you measure the lbf (psi is readily measured using the Wilwood gauge at the caliper)?

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,

Pedal force is assumed but all the rest are calculated based on info from Wilwood, such as master cylinder bore size, caliper piston area, pedal ratio, etc. Since I'm only looking at the ratio of the front/rear line pressures and the front/rear bias, the pedal force can be any arbitrary value as it has no effect on the ratios. 100 lbf is easy to scale and it's pretty close to what I understand is commonly exerted on the brake pedal in normal day-to-day driving (80 lbf).

There are some interesting numbers in the tables. For instance, with a Wilwood footbox pedal ratio of 6.25:1, the 100 lbf applied with your foot ends up being 625 lbf at the balance bar. And this creates over 1000 psi line pressure. Which in turn produces 5000 lbf of clamping force at the rotors. Some pretty seriously big numbers!

As an aside, all this has inspired me to pick up a pair of the pressure gauges you and Hurman mentioned above so I can simultaneously measure the front/rear pressures and directly observe the effect of different balance bar settings. The numbers say the balance bar probably shouldn't stray more than 3 turns or so either direction from center. Be interesting to see if the measurements back that up. Winter break (brake?) project...
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

35. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO pressure gauges can help verify a system design maybe but that's all. Example 1; Take a system that is working fine, is perfectly balanced front to rear, and change to grippier pads in the rear. Now what do you have? A system w/ the exact same pressure readings but now it locks the rear brakes first. Example 2; Same initial system as above but now put drag radials on the rear. Now what do you have? A system that still has the same pressures but now it locks the fronts first.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    IMHO pressure gauges can help verify a system design maybe but that's all. Example 1; Take a system that is working fine, is perfectly balanced front to rear, and change to grippier pads in the rear. Now what do you have? A system w/ the exact same pressure readings but now it locks the rear brakes first. Example 2; Same initial system as above but now put drag radials on the rear. Now what do you have? A system that still has the same pressures but now it locks the fronts first.
    Exactly! The coefficient of friction is as much of a player as pressure.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez, you guys gotta take all the fun out of it

Pressure's just an indirect way of measuring the front/rear bias. I'm interested in understanding how far I can push the bias toward the rear as compared to the 60/40 split your typical passenger car is set at. Our cars have a lower CG and a more uniform weight distribution to begin with, so more rear brake is theoretically possible. I've searched for but cannot find data that shows what's possible on the roadster. Using the pressure gauges, I can determine exactly where the balance bar is centered. I can then change the front/rear bias and confirm - by driving the car - how much rear brake is safely achievable. I can then compare to where I started and know exactly what bias I ended up with.

An academic exercise, I suppose, but I'm interesting in seeing where the numbers fall out.

Apologies to Dan for semi-jacking the thread. I'll stop now.

-Karl
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Karl
    You can keep on chatting, I am like a sponge when it comes to learning about these cars from the guys on this site. I have both masters out of the car, took them apart and all looked good. I might have had a fitting on the pressure side of the rear master that wasn’t as tight as I think it good have been. Maybe this was my problem.. I’m also going to follow the directions closer on the balance bar.
    Happy Turkey day

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you can't really see where the balance bar bearing is inside the center piece, keep the exposed threads on both ends equal and you will be starting w/ it centered.
    Balance bar 2 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    How does this work? the bearing is locked to the shaft w/ the jam nuts on either side. The shaft is threaded through the brass pieces in the centers of the black clevis. This bearing is a slip fit in the top of the pedal. With the bar/bearing centered you get equal pressure applied to both MCs. As you twist the bar you move the bearing toward one MC and away from the other MC. Which ever MC is closest to the bearing will get the most pedal pressure applied to it. You can tell where the bearing is (even though you can't see it) by looking at the ends of the shaft. The bearing is moved toward the side where the exposed shaft is longest. I am too lazy to go back and read the whole thread so I will add one thing in case it hasn't been stated yet. When bleeding the brakes by pushing the pedal, you must bleed both front and rear at the same time. The reason is that the cross shaft can only go to so much of an angle. So if you bleed just one MC, the MC will move some but stop as pressure builds. So you have the already bled MC stopping after it moves somewhat, the balance shaft then goes to it's max angle, and stops moving. Unfortunately, now the other MC stops moving well before it is completely compressed. To get all the air out of the MC it must be depressed completely. But, when it all stops moving, the MC you are trying to bleed has only moved to let's say, 3/4 of it's travel, and that last 1/4 of it's travel has air in it which will never be pushed out. This usually makes bleeding by pedal pushing a 3 person job. One at the pedal, and one at a front
    caliper, one at a rear caliper.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    We did a car last fall that had the same issue. We had to remove and remount the rear caliper, top bolt in bottom hole to get it to bleed. We tried every form of bleeding there is. Once we moved the caliper three pumps and fixed, two on one side and one on the other. HTH, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread brings up a question. If you install a pressure gauge at the caliper and a solid press on the pedal generates an appropriate pressure reading, could one assume there was no air in that leg of the system and full pressure was reaching the caliper? Conversely if there was air in the line wouldn't the pressure be low? Seems to me if the correct pressure was at the caliper it would rule out a m/c or installation problem. Granted I know little about brakes, so I look forward to some thoughts on this from those with a better understanding of brakes.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Reading this thread brings up a question. If you install a pressure gauge at the caliper and a solid press on the pedal generates an appropriate pressure reading, could one assume there was no air in that leg of the system and full pressure was reaching the caliper? Conversely if there was air in the line wouldn't the pressure be low? Seems to me if the correct pressure was at the caliper it would rule out a m/c or installation problem. Granted I know little about brakes, so I look forward to some thoughts on this from those with a better understanding of brakes.
    I think the key is what is an 'appropriate' reading. IE: think about when we used to use all the calipers etc from a Mustang. If you measured pressure while still on the Mustang, and activated through a vac assist, you might get readings you could compare against. But, as touched on above, you would want the rears to read significantly higher once all is installed on an FFR. Also, there would probably be different numbers because the FFR usually doesn't have a vac assist ( although some do). I do agree that air in the system would most likely result in lower pressures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast