BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Holley Sniper fuel pump relay and coolant temp sensor questions

Post Thanks / Like

Post Holley Sniper fuel pump relay and coolant temp sensor questions

I think that I have my EFI all hooked up. I was following Dave's (Papa) instructions that he so graciously provided.

My main question is the Sniper fuel pump relay. Since the Sniper setup uses its own fuel pump relay (I have it mounted in the right rear of the engine bay on the firewall), should I take the relay out of the RF fuse block? I ran the blue wire back behind the dash and connected it to the tan wire that is in the "rear harness" bundle. Since I want to still use the inertia switch, so do I splice this into this blue wire? phileas_fogg in one of his posts says for the inertia switch to be in-line with the Holley Fuel Pump power circuit (I'm hoping that this fuel pump power circuit is the blue wire).

I have the Sniper pos/neg wires going directly to the battery.
    The RF orange EFI/Coil is connected to the Holley pink switched ign.
    The Sniper yellow wire is on the Neg of the coil.
    The Holley light blue fan control wire is run to the RF dark green fan wire near the radiator.
    O2 sensor is hooked up. Coolant Temp sensor is hooked up.

Do I connect the Sniper dark brown tach output to the RF purple coil/tach wire?

Do I connect the 3/16" Vacuum Advanced Distributor on the Sniper to the nipple on the cone shaped part on the distributor (don't laugh, I have never had one of these before).

I have a de-pin tool set on the way. When de-pinning a harness, are you just doing the downstream side of the connector?

If you see something else that I'm missing, please let me know.

Go easy on me guys, I am a wiring dummy!

Terry
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Inertia Switch - as you suspect, you're not using the RF fuel pump relay anymore and have bypassed the inertia switch (which controlled the ground to the RF fuel pump relay). To get the inertial switch back in the circuit, you can as you suggest splice it into the Sniper blue wire. But I'm a bit concerned about current rating - has someone done this and no problem? On my setup, I kept the RF relay and didn't use the Sniper relay.

Tach - yes, Sniper dark brown goes to RF puple coil/tach wire

Vacuum advance - you have that correct

Depinning the harness - correct, just the downstream connector so that the wiring from the Sniper still goes to the first connector but that the connector that mates to it no longer has a wire for the unused signal.

Question - the water temp sensor for the Sniper, you used the Holley supplied sensor and put it on the manifold?

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry,

No need to do anything with the RF fuel pump relay if don't want to. It won't be powering anything now that you've connected the Sniper to the fuel pump as you describe. On the inertia switch, yes, just connect it in-line with the blue wire that's providing power to the fuel pump. You'll want to tie the ground wires, the ones currently running through the inertia switch together to complete the ground circuit that will be cut when you re-wire the inertia switch. Don't forget to run +12v switched power to your coil(+) post. I recommend using the same orange EFI/Coil wire to power the coil and the ECU's pink wire.

I didn't use the brown tach wire in the Sniper connector, but connected the tach wire in the RF harness to the coil.

On the vacuum lines, connect both the vacuum advance on your distributor and the vacuum reference on the Sniper to the available vacuum ports on the Sniper's mounting flange.

That should be about it,
    Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Inertia Switch - as you suspect, you're not using the RF fuel pump relay anymore and have bypassed the inertia switch (which controlled the ground to the RF fuel pump relay). To get the inertial switch back in the circuit, you can as you suggest splice it into the Sniper blue wire. But I'm a bit concerned about current rating - has someone done this and no problem? On my setup, I kept the RF relay and didn't use the Sniper relay.

Tach - yes, Sniper dark brown goes to RF puple coil/tach wire

Vacuum advance - you have that correct

Depinning the harness - correct, just the downstream connector so that the wiring from the Sniper still goes to the first connector but that the connector that mates to it no longer has a wire for the unused signal.

Question - the water temp sensor for the Sniper, you used the Holley supplied sensor and put it on the manifold?

Steve
    Thanks Steve. The Holley supplied sensor was installed already in the intake manifold by Forte.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Terry,

No need to do anything with the RF fuel pump relay if don't want to. It won't be powering anything now that you've connected the Sniper to the fuel pump as you describe. On the inertia switch, yes, just connect it in-line with the blue wire that's providing power to the fuel pump. You'll want to tie the ground wires, the ones currently running through the inertia switch together to complete the ground circuit that will be cut when you re-wire the inertia switch. Don't forget to run +12v switched power to your coil(+) post. I recommend using the same orange EFI/Coil wire to power the coil and the ECU's pink wire.

I didn't use the brown tach wire in the Sniper connector, but connected the tach wire in the RF harness to the coil.

On the vacuum lines, connect both the vacuum advance on your distributor and the vacuum reference on the Sniper to the available vacuum ports on the Sniper's mounting flange.

That should be about it,
    Dave
    Ok, so I must have missed the part about the RF orange wire going to the positive side of the coil. This means that I will have distributor neg and the Sniper yellow wire on the neg side and the distributor pos and the RF orange wire on the pos side of the coil?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    Ok, so I must have missed the part about the RF orange wire going to the positive side of the coil. This means that I will have distributor neg and the Sniper yellow wire on the neg side and the distributor pos and the RF orange wire on the pos side of the coil?
    Correct.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, one more question after thinking about this for a bit. The coolant temp sensor in the intake manifold is going to the Holley Sniper so that it can kick on the fan. How do I get a signal to the Auto Meter gauge? Do I need a second sensor installed in the motor (where?)?

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    I put it in the radiator. Make sure you use the sensor that comes with the gauge
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry,

Don't confuse the Temp gauge feed with the temp sensor for fan operation - two different animals. One is a grounding switch for the fan relay, other is a resistive element that provided a variable voltage to the gauge.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Terry,

Don't confuse the Temp gauge feed with the temp sensor for fan operation - two different animals. One is a grounding switch for the fan relay, other is a resistive element that provided a variable voltage to the gauge.

Doc
    I'm using the driver's front NPT fitting for the Sniper (Forte installed it there already) reading. The passenger front NPT fitting will be for my heater hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I put it in the radiator. Make sure you use the sensor that comes with the gauge
    Steve
    Did you use the threaded bung that the top left petcock valve went into? How accurate is this location compared to the temp of the coolant in the engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    BB should answer the bung question, the 33 radiator is a bit different. As for accuracy, it isn't giving you engine temp obviously but once the engine warms up and the thermostat opens it shows the water temp just fine. As the fine goes on and off in the hot rod the measured water temp on the gauge reacts accordingly.
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    I would prefer both the Holley and gauge sensors in the engine manifold. You know about the two bungs in the intake left and right but there is a 3rd option. The t-stat housing. Naturally I can't find a link now so here is a pic of mine. You can see the brass nut on the sensor,
    20191225_080657 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thermostat housing (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6051080) is where I put the sensor for my temperature gauge. Yes; it reads cold until the t-stat opens, but that's less than 5 minutes run time here in Northern VA.

John

IMG_3449 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    You need the temp gauge in the engine. You want to know what is going on with engine temp. If the thermostat fails, and the gauge is in the radiator, all you're going to see is radiator temp, and over heat the motor even though the fan is running. Much safer to have the fan switch in the radiator.
    If you have the gauge in the thermostat housing, again, if it fails and it doesn't open you won't know till the engine is dangerously hot. An OK place for the fan switch.
    Last edited by rich grsc; 12-25-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with both in the manifold. If the EFI temp sensor is already mounted on the drivers side then the gauge sensor should be on the opposite side in the manifold behind the thermostat. Here are a couple of pictures. I am running a heater so mine is in a T that connects to the heater line. This configuration requires the use of a bypass heater valve to ensure coolant flow past the sensor. If you are not running a heater then Breeze Automotive has a fitting for this port. Here’s a link https://www.breezeautomotive.com/ect-sensor-elbow.

On my pictures you can see the sensors just above the power steering reservoir cap and in the T beside the distributor.

HTH

Merry Christmas

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and examples of what you have done. My thermostat housing does not have a port to insert a sensor. So basically, I have two ports and three things to go into these ports. I feel like the electric fan turn on sensor for the Sniper is the least important to have in the intake manifold coolant flow. I was thinking about finding a "T" NPT fitting to try and get the gauge sensor and the heater line to use the right side port. But, this would take the sensor out of the direct flow and would probably look ugly. I'm not a big fan of having the sensors in the radiator. I think that this is what I am going to do.

Buy a thermostat housing with a port. Remove the Holley sensor for the cooling fan from the left side of the intake manifold and move it to the post thermostat port. Use the right side intake manifold port for the heater line. Use the left side intake manifold port for the gauge sensor.

Does anyone see any issues with this plan? Best part is that the thermostat housing is cheap.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    A Holley Sniper EFI system is one of my planned winter upgrades. As such, I have been doing some research and believe there is only one temperature sensor associated with this system. It is critically important that this sensor be located in a constant coolant flow and that is why Forte installed it in the driver’s side intake manifold. The primary purpose of this sensor is to provide the unit with accurate engine temperatures to properly set mixture and timing. A secondary function is to provide a programable temperature to activate the rad fan. According to the Sniper instructions I have, there are two fan control circuits available, both designed to only handle the low amperage from the ground side of a relay. The temperature at which this circuit grounds is setup by following the instruction manual.

The thermostat housing is not a good place for this sensor because the unit will sense cold engine temps until the thermostat opens. This is the same reason it is not a good place for your temperature gauge sensor but, it will work for a fan temp switch.

My suggestion is to leave the Sniper sensor where Forte put it and find a way to provide constant coolant flow at the other manifold port for your gauge sensor.

Maybe I don’t understand the system correctly and someone with first hand experience will correct me.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    What Norm said. The Sniper temp sensor is not just to trigger the fan so make sure it has an accurate read of engine temp. Forte put it where they did for a reason. Speaking of which, you could discuss your options (and compromises) with either/both Holley or Forte.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s the heater control valve you need and the one I’ll be using for this mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Norm and Steve. I didn't know that it did more than just trigger the fan. I haven't removed anything yet. Because of your last few posts, I didn't get the thermostat housing. I just put the temp sensor for the gauge in the unused (passenger side) so that I can get to the first start. I will not hook up the heater until I'm ready to put the body on. Then I'll have to figure out the best course of action. I will have to get Forte a call too. I can keep doing some research until then.