Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: So my wife thinks the site needs a "refresh"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So my wife thinks the site needs a "refresh"...

.. and I said, "Not on your life!"

Lessons learned from others...

If you are here as a result of the site redesign on the other site, welcome!

Don't worry, we like things just as they are. No imminent redesigns are in the works.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

2. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Likes Railroad, FF33rod, Higgybulin, Edgeman, SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    .. and I said, "Not on your life!"

Lessons learned from others...

If you are here as a result of the site redesign on the other site, welcome!

Don't worry, we like things just as they are. No imminent redesigns are in the works.

Thanks, Dave. I can only tolerate about 30 seconds on the other site before I loose my mind. And speaking of "...if it ain't broke...", it looks like the site has been a lot more stable over the past week or so with no more timeouts or other errors.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like the new look at FFCars, but even I, can still negotiate my way through it..lol

Prefer the old-old format the best. I don't see an option to change it back, as they did offer, the last time they changed it..
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't been there in so long I don't know anything about this "refresh". Pretty glad I left.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Dave. Don't even joke about doing something like what they did! The thing that I'm happy about is that I never put all my photos in their gallery. Reading some of the posts from guys that did, WOW. I don't have the time or the energy to bother trying to figure out what they did. After probably 95% of the people that used the site switched to the classic view the last time they tried this, and to not stick with something that resembled the old format, just doesn't make sense. Thanks for everything that you do for us here.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Amen I Say & Amen!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-23-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem with a lot of forums, they put the ability to make money with adds over usability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Meh.....I’d say start small, get feedback, have a vote, and then maybe transition to a new format......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    The thing that I'm happy about is that I never put all my photos in their gallery. Reading some of the posts from guys that did, WOW. I don't have the time or the energy to bother trying to figure out what they did..
    Much of the pictures posted were originally stored on Photobucket, and when they changed to a pay photo storage site, they screwed up a huge mess of posts all over the internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish there was an easier way to post pics. This is the only forum I visit, so not sure what else is out there.
    Factory Five Racing Roadster MKIV -- #9196 -- 347ci, 475 HP, 5 Speed, Plymouth Prowler Orange Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    PLEASE leave this site’s format alone. I know where everything is. The redesign of the other site is horrible.

13. Thanks TrevorP thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Thanks, Dave. I can only tolerate about 30 seconds on the other site before I loose my mind. And speaking of "...if it ain't broke...", it looks like the site has been a lot more stable over the past week or so with no more timeouts or other errors.

Dave
    I spoke too soon. I had several 503 (Service Unavailable) errors this morning.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

15. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the layout and look of this site much better, although it does crash a lot.
    I read the other one occasionally but have never posted anything there.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it just the way it is.

The problem with all the groovy new layouts is it just takes up space. Tight and concise is great.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    First off Dave, let me THANK YOU for every thing you do for us forum members.

That being said, I've been to the other site and it's hard to navigate - but that's to be expected for us regulars that get used to the format and then get a new format thrown in our face - there's a learning curve (kina like our cars).
    Took me a while to figure out how to switch it to "dark mode" so I could actually read the pages. Grey on a white background sucks for some of us older guys . . .

With no way to go back and "edit" anything you've posted, it's near impossible to "correct" any errors in our typing or posted information.

But, never fear, the advertisement business higher-ups will trudge on, not caring about the people that show up, get frustrated, and move on . . . they deal in number$ only, not relationships.

I absolutely love this site, spend most of my [retired] time here. You don't have to worry about losing me any time soon

153 days and counting . . . There are those who will know what I'm referring to.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

19. Likes 7tvette liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

The only refresh you should look into is more server band width because of all the extra volume you are going to get with the cool new update the other site did!

I got a 503 at 6 am ?
    Last edited by Just puttering; 11-24-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with Doc.... THANK YOU Dave for everything you do!!!

I signed up on both sites about the same time and I’ve never really cared very much for it myself. I do go on there but not very often.

On a plus side I’ve NEVER gotten a 503 or ever had this site crash on me. And I’m on here A LOT!! Since March my life consists of basically 3 things (not including food) TV, the nextdoor neighborhood app and this site lol
    Also if it matters any on why no crashing I have never used anything other my iphone on this site. Maybe a few iPad sessions...

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Echoing others, THANK YOU DAVE! (I haven't had any site related issues the last few days...)

Going back 5-7 years, I used to enjoy and use the other forum more. There was an active Hot Rod build community with many guys doing innovative mods and sharing ideas. That group has largely disappeared and now there is essentially no unique Hot Rod content there - just guys posting the same stuff on both forums. Meanwhile, FFF has evolved from an "all 818 all the time" format (IMHO) to a much more ecumenical coverage of all Factory Five products. These days it seems that all the innovative and talented builders are on this forum (excepting those who can't self-edit to keep their videos PG). That made it an easy decision to move the other forum off my "favorites" list, especially since I can't read it or find anything with the new format. Keith HR#894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cthiker52 View Post
    please leave this site’s format alone. I know where everything is. The redesign of the other site is horrible.

ditto!!!
    FFinisher/AKA RE63