Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Rear view Mirror Mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Rear view Mirror Mounting

Have you all installed the rear view mirror? I tried today and it seems useless unless installed almost in the middle of the windshield in vertical otherwise one only sees about 10 feet behind the car.

what have you all done here? I just do not want bother least the front view is more clear without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hardly ever mount the rear view mirror unless specifically requested by the customer. Yes, it does work to see what's behind you, but also takes up about 1/3rd of your view out the windshield.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone on here mounted it on the front 1.5" tubing I believe? I'm going with a rear view camera system that will mount on the front 1.5" tube.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shane, I have driven the car few times without rear view mirror so decided it is time to mount it then noticed it will not help much unless almost in the middle. so thank for confirmation, I mat leave it out.

I also have LCD display,but is is even larger, but I think I have an idea that may work but have to check it out and see if possible.

Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Someone on here mounted it on the front 1.5" tubing I believe? I'm going with a rear view camera system that will mount on the front 1.5" tube.
    That would be a much nicer solution. Have the camera on constant and mount the display to the halo tube right up against the roof where it won't obstruct your view out of the windshield!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    That would be a much nicer solution. Have the camera on constant and mount the display to the halo tube right up against the roof where it won't obstruct your view out of the windshield!
    The issue is that the aftermarket 'rear view camera kits' all have wide angle cameras as they are designed for backing up. So they don't work well for seeing who or what is driving behind you since everything is shrunk in the image. I need to find a narrow angle camera, then will toggle between the narrow angle camera while driving and the wide angle camera while backing up. I know there's an SLC builder who ran a setup like that...

Last edited by beeman; 11-26-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Most rear view are 190 degree or so, 120 is not so bad, as I may help with blind spot also., one can only see so far back anyway.

I think few time that I have drive the car, I just cannot see anything behind me, so even my rear view camera (190 degree ) may be better than nothing.

Mounting the LCD in front of the tube does not look good, since one will see the connectors and so on, behind the tube almost fits, but still take a good space.

Mosfafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey, don't knock the wide view cameras. I have a 115 degree (I think?) and allows me to monitor the sides of the car, near the rear fender area, as well as the traffic behind me.

The detail and size of the vehicles is great.

Having the monitor above the halo bar really opens up
    the forward view.

IMG_20191127_121531.jpg
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, do not have it all working but after checking from of the bar and behind decided to go with behind the bar ( toward from of the car) to me it just look more natural position than front of the bar, also the on board front recording camera will work better in this position.

Now have to figure out how to hold it place, do not like the rubber band solution to regular backup mirror.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here is installed version of front/rear view LCD Mirror. You be the judge.

With few of my dash display option I have.

20191205_161907.jpg20191205_162021.jpg20191205_160644.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough to tell from the photos, but could the display be mounted up higher (against the roof) to keep it from blocking any of the view out of the windshield? As for the camera view, that looks like it would be plenty effective as a rear view mirror.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried both spots, front of the bar and as you see ( behind), but decided for what you see based on below:
    1. Front for the bar for me did not look natural, too far to middle of the car, aslo can not rotate for better driver view.
    2. Because of the connectors, the take about 3/4 in vertical, aslo hit the body if turned even if the connectors were not there
    3. The front recording will be as good, you will see a lot of the roof.
    4. The front camera will hit the bar, so can only go so far up.
    5. I offset from center by about inch, for better driver view, but the pass is still good since the display can turn a bit to driver side and opens the pass angle.
    6. so the real diff behind or front amy be half inch, but as is right now, it look clean, no wires to see, like it was design for car.
    7. It looks about the same as my regular car now.
    8. I had no issue with the in x and y covering the top, but to make the regular mirror work right it had to be almost middel for windshield.

Hope it helps
    Mostata

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KGTM View Post
    Well here is installed version of front/rear view LCD Mirror. You be the judge.

With few of my dash display option I have.

20191205_161907.jpg20191205_162021.jpg20191205_160644.jpg
    What LCD mirror is that? Image and field of view looks very good.

14. Likes rolfer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It does the job very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mostafa

16. Thanks RR46 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Few guys asked about the rear view mirror, I did not mention before, Mine in fact has different view for rear view mirror forward going or rear view in reverse.

Pictures of same condition, in reverse or just rear view mirror. hope it helps.

20200125_150419.jpg20200125_150516.jpg

Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Question was asked about where the two rear camera mounting locations are, these is only one camera but two modes.

location in the licence plate.

20200120_133337.jpg

Mostafa

19. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll be going this route. Was driving with the purpose of going somewhere, mirror only showing 25ft or so on fwy, so I reached out to tilt mirror arm down and mirror up for more rearview, ended up with mirror in my hand and just a little patch of adhesive to stare at. �� Not going to bother w trying to put it back.

On flipside it’s fun how driving the GTM at fwy speed feels like barely moving. ��

ADD: Ordered and installed this one, very impressed w the solid feel of it, along with the rear view which is vastly better than a basic mirror. Not into dashcams so mounted this up on the cage, leaving a very open windshield view.
    DMYCO 10'' 2.5K Mirror Dash Cam
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HF4RGG...p_mob_ap_share
    Last edited by RR46; 03-15-2020 at 05:53 PM.