FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nose Locating Plate Options

Post Thanks / Like

Nose Locating Plate Options

I have not 100% committed to my nose locating plates. The fitment of my hood looks pretty good, but because of my asymmetric hood issues, closure requires some effort to get the pins to seat in the locating plates. The problem is that they hang in the plate cup and require a nudge in the right direction, like the Fonz with the jukebox. It could be smoother and it causes some wear on the plate.
    IMG_3105.jpg

I am wondering if I should go with it or shoot for something better. I feel like the locating plate could be designed better to guide the pin into position. I like Forcefed1's design from his Curvy Road build thread. He obviously has access to machining equipment.
    IMG_0046_1400x1050.JPG

Wondering what others have experienced here. I can't seem to find anything premade that would be better and I am not totally familiar with how to have something custom fabricated.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

2. Thanks CTHiker52 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the kit parts with an acorn nut to locat the hood, seems to work well.
    pontoon cover.jpg
    you can see the nut at the front corner in this picture.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I see you commented in my build thread about how I did this, so won't repeat the details here. But will say I too noted some light wear on the locating plate Factory Five supplied. So I increased the taper on the guide pins I'm using (cut off 3/8-inch bolts) and seems to locate better with less drag and subsequent wear. The other thing I found is with the roller wheels I installed, also in my build thread, the hood comes down almost exactly aligned into the locating plate. So that seems to help a lot too. I agree those parts from Forcefed1 are cool. I have some limited fabrication tools, but nothing to do that. Very nice.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Paul. I have noted your installation and I fashioned the pins as you recommended. I am fighting the tension/force created to get the hood far enough rear to engage the pin into the hole in the plate. That is the"nudge" I am referring to. It is improved with a more tapered pin, but still an issue. It all works well together, but was looking to eke out some improvement.

David, you must have excellent hood fitment. My hood would not get into proper position with just a dome nut.
    Last edited by jdavis500; 11-26-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    yes my hood fit is really good but it cost some $$$ for the body guy to do it. No rollers and it just fits.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    The steel piece looks like it has a flattened out bottom. If it does, and you have a torch, I bet you could warm it up w/ a torch and then hammer a more tapered bottom into it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used a carriage bolt and rounded off the head. I also have the roller wheels which help side to side but not front to back. My issue was the hood shocks were pushing the hood when closed and it never seemed to close the same. Solution was to take off the shocks and use a prop (thanks Erik).

Henry