BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CFR Power Steering Pump Bracket

Post Thanks / Like

CFR Power Steering Pump Bracket

I purchased a CFR Performance P/S bracket to use on my 5.0L engine.I have not started installation yet but I note that the bracket mounting hardware consists of two long and one short bolts with sleeves. The water pump mounting studs that these bolts replace are I believe three different lengths where they pass through the pump to seal to the engine. Anyone out there with experience with this bracket to confirm it will work?
    Thanks
    645A1C05-2575-4CCA-BABB-1659165BB96F.jpg
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    More to it than just fit. The PS pump needs to line up with the crankshaft pulley (1, 2, or 3 grooves) and the water pump and the alternator. You need a complete FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive) setup. I got mine from CVF (1/3 the cost of March). However the PS mount was too long and the PS pump hit the steering shaft. I got a shorter mount from Scott Drake (for a Bronco) that just cleared. BTW you didn't say which PS pump you are using or which water pump (standard rotation for V-belt or reverse rotation for serpentine). Some fit some don't. And mind the PS pump pressure. Saginaw puts out too much psi. I used a new1966 Mustang pump from CJ Pony Parts. All in all the Power Steering setup is sort of trial and error. Wait til you get to the hoses and the funny connection at the rack.
    Good luck,
    Jeff
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    Hello,
    More to it than just fit. The PS pump needs to line up with the crankshaft pulley (1, 2, or 3 grooves) and the water pump and the alternator. You need a complete FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive) setup. I got mine from CVF (1/3 the cost of March). However the PS mount was too long and the PS pump hit the steering shaft. I got a shorter mount from Scott Drake (for a Bronco) that just cleared. BTW you didn't say which PS pump you are using or which water pump (standard rotation for V-belt or reverse rotation for serpentine). Some fit some don't. And mind the PS pump pressure. Saginaw puts out too much psi. I used a new1966 Mustang pump from CJ Pony Parts. All in all the Power Steering setup is sort of trial and error. Wait til you get to the hoses and the funny connection at the rack.
    Good luck,
    Jeff
    Thanks, Jeff. I have a stock reverse water pump and a serpentine belt. I am also planning to use a Fox Body P/S pump and pulley. I am assuming that lining up that pulley with the other belt driven stuff is a matter of positioning the pulley on the pump shaft. I am trying to follow the Jeff Kleiner KISS strategy for converting to PS.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the whole CFR pully / bracket set. I added one washer for a spacer and one alternator bolt needed to be a little longer. It wasn't grabbing enough threads for my liking. Overall, it fit very well.

As Jeff states, check alignment. A good general practice. But especially when mixing and matching parts.

5. Thanks ptstew thanked for this post