Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Virginia Title requirement question: Wipers

Post Thanks / Like

Virginia Title requirement question: Wipers

Hello,
    Does Virginia require window wipers on MK Roadsters in order to be titled?
    Trying not to put unnecessary things on the build...

Help~

D.J. from Vienna Virginia

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found a very cheap manual wiper that attached to the top of my windshield. It was around $20 and I took it off in seconds after the inspector signed me off. I told him it was a "period correct replica car" and he apparently believed that it was original equipment. When you google it, look for boating supplies. This model was intended for small power boats. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller, Mugzilla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seadevil View Post
    I found a very cheap manual wiper that attached to the top of my windshield. It was around $20 and I took it off in seconds after the inspector signed me off. I told him it was a "period correct replica car" and he apparently believed that it was original equipment. When you google it, look for boating supplies. This model was intended for small power boats. Good luck.
    Aha. so Virginia does require wipers in order to title and register then?

6. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your question mentions titling but if you want it to be street legal it may be more appropriate to ask about the auto safety inspection. Titling and the safety inspection are 2 separate steps involving separate inspections. The state police inspection prior to receiving the title is just confirming no stolen parts were used and the components are legitimate. The state police will then authorize the VIN and title. The safety inspection is needed to be street legal. Based on Va. Administrative Code you would need wipers to pass the safety inspection. I installed the wipers but keep the wiper arms/blades in the trunk; I put these on for the state inspection and in the rare case I am driving in rain.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/adminco...70/section230/
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

8. Thanks jrcuz thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi D.J.

I live just down 123 from you in Fairfax Station (about 4 miles south of George Mason). If you want to get together sometime, send me a DM. Also, the guys at the Capital Area Cobra Club are good dudes (and dudettes) as well. They typically do a New Year's Day cruise into DC. Check out http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/ for upcoming events (including a grease up at the Virginia Inn on the 14th).

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

10. Thanks madkow70 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a 12v Marine wiper from Amazon. I wasn't sure the manual wiper would pass muster in NY. Two screws and it goes back in the trunk20191124_175516.jpg20191124_175634.jpg

12. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, outstanding!!!
    that'll be super.
    I'm in the town of Vienna, so we are not too far.

I would love to meet up with you, John, and pick your brain about your MK IV.
    I'll def check out the club site right away too...

D.J.

Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Hi D.J.

I live just down 123 from you in Fairfax Station (about 4 miles south of George Mason). If you want to get together sometime, send me a DM. Also, the guys at the Capital Area Cobra Club are good dudes (and dudettes) as well. They typically do a New Year's Day cruise into DC. Check out http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/ for upcoming events (including a grease up at the Virginia Inn on the 14th).

Cheers,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Title and registration has very little to do w/ the car's equipment. 5 yrs ago when I moved Md to Va I had to deal w/ the Branding Dept in Richmond. they required pictures to be sent in. Mainly so they could determine if it is a replica or just a home built jalopy. The State Police officer came to see my car. His job was to verify that the pictures I had sent in where actually of my car and to verify the VIN. A couple of friends have titled FFRs more recently and one a 33 hotrod. The hotrod was inspected by a DMV employee and he stated ( I just happened to be there when he arrived) that DMV is gradually building their own inspection group so they can leave the SP out of it. Again his job was to verify the pictures. And, since it was a new build, he helped decide where the FFR VIN tag should be riveted on and stayed to verify it was in fact installed. Neither inspector cared about car equipment. But the Safety Inspection does care about equipment. Phileas can recommend where he got his inspected and I can recommend where I used to have mine done in Manassas. PM me if you need that shop's name.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

15. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome information.

Does FFR MK-IV qualify in Virginia to get an antique tag?
    I know some states allow that although the vehicle is technically brand new...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Title and registration has very little to do w/ the car's equipment. 5 yrs ago when I moved Md to Va I had to deal w/ the Branding Dept in Richmond. they required pictures to be sent in. Mainly so they could determine if it is a replica or just a home built jalopy. The State Police officer came to see my car. His job was to verify that the pictures I had sent in where actually of my car and to verify the VIN. A couple of friends have titled FFRs more recently and one a 33 hotrod. The hotrod was inspected by a DMV employee and he stated ( I just happened to be there when he arrived) that DMV is gradually building their own inspection group so they can leave the SP out of it. Again his job was to verify the pictures. And, since it was a new build, he helped decide where the FFR VIN tag should be riveted on and stayed to verify it was in fact installed. Neither inspector cared about car equipment. But the Safety Inspection does care about equipment. Phileas can recommend where he got his inspected and I can recommend where I used to have mine done in Manassas. PM me if you need that shop's name.

17. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Hi D.J.

Cheers,

John
    John,
    that'll be super. I'm in the Town of Vienna so we are right down the street.
    I'll def check out the DC Cobra Club.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately no; your newly completed roadster will not qualify for an antique tag. The title will say "1965" for the year, but in the comments field will be a note stating the year it was built. The DMV computers are programmed to recognize the note & won't let a person give you an antique tag by mistake (the poor lady at the Fairfax DMV tried every way she could think of).

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

20. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great info y'all....thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can someone please confirm if once I title/register my roadster, will I have to do yearly inspections?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I didn't give enough info. I am in Maryland, I don't know what Va requires. As one of the responses below notes, you will probably not need the wiper for title, they will look for in later when you get the safety inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you will need to do annual safety inspection. Since it is a 1965, you should not need emissions testing though. I live in a county where they don't test emissions anyway. Someone in NOVA should be able to confirm if you are exempt from emissions testing in those areas that do test.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

25. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to pass inspection with the equipment required in 1965. So emissions should not be a problem. They do require mechanically operated wipers, so the hand wipers won’t work unless you get an inspector that doesn’t know. Start asking around for inspections people that understand replica registration and inspections. I found one near me, but I’m not ready for the inspection yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you will need a safety inspection. Sign in to Capital Area Cobra Club and ask for recommendations if Phileas's and mine won't work for you.
    http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/index.php
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

28. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to register to Capital Area Cobra Club. but the registration isn't working. the confirmation e-mail is not being sent. I tried it with two different accounts and the same issue stops the process. Since i'm not even finished on registration process, I can't even ask for help on that forum. would someone already a member from that club let the moderator know that I'm dying to finish my registration? My handle/ID is "madkow70"

Thank you

Yes you will need a safety inspection. Sign in to Capital Area Cobra Club and ask for recommendations if Phileas's and mine won't work for you.
    http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/index.php

30. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was just me.....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by madkow70 View Post
    I tried to register to Capital Area Cobra Club. but the registration isn't working. the confirmation e-mail is not being sent. I tried it with two different accounts and the same issue stops the process. Since i'm not even finished on registration process, I can't even ask for help on that forum. would someone already a member from that club let the moderator know that I'm dying to finish my registration? My handle/ID is "madkow70"

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Aircontroller and madkow, I was in CACC for 12 yrs but moved away this past April. PM John (phileas_fogg) and ask if he will contact someone for you.

33. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you CraigS!

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw John posted a message on CACC to see what is going on and if an admin could help you out.
    I also sent an email to the admin, so you should be good to go soon

36. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Francky!

Quote Originally Posted by Francky View Post
    I saw John posted a message on CACC to see what is going on and if an admin could help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is probably fixed now, can you try again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. Got it going.

It is probably fixed now, can you try again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Franky & CraigS.
    what time is the VI Cobra meet on 14th?
    I live a block and half away from VI.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a bit far away from the VI, but they meet basically every Saturday there.
    We have a Chilli Dog Breakfast on the 14th, not sure what time, but I assume it's around 8am... it's in the event section of CACC if you want to join.

But I'll come this year, need to take the car our a bit!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad you guys got it worked out. I really enjoyed my 5 yrs of Sat breakfasts at VI. You found out about the chilidog breakfast so that's great. Now for my all time favorite event w/ CACC. The new Years Day cruise. Check the forum and be sure to check the events sub page. There is usually a slightly different route each year but starts at the Cooper Middle School rte 193 and beltway. Heads down the GW parkway and stops at 4-5-6 spots around the downtown area and then out to Kilroys (seems to have become the standard over the last 3-4 yrs because it works so well) near beltway and Braddock Rd. The number of stops depends on ambient temp. People coming from Md will often meet the group at one of the downtown stops. Even when we lived in Md we always did the whole route because I really enjoyed the drive down the GW parkway. How to survive? Many layers topped w/ a coat w/ a hood and a baseball cap. Pull the strings to tighten the hood around your head and the bill of the cap will keep the hood moving with your head so you don't suddenly find one eye inside the hood.

43. Likes Jim Wehr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if anyone is overseeing the Capital Cobra group...
    still no confirmation e-mail. I tried to have it resent multiple times. the interface says it sent, but..... sob...
    I would love to start participating in CAC....

I am glad you guys got it worked out. I really enjoyed my 5 yrs of Sat breakfasts at VI. You found out about the chilidog breakfast so that's great. Now for my all time favorite event w/ CACC. The new Years Day cruise. Check the forum and be sure to check the events sub page. There is usually a slightly different route each year but starts at the Cooper Middle School rte 193 and beltway. Heads down the GW parkway and stops at 4-5-6 spots around the downtown area and then out to Kilroys (seems to have become the standard over the last 3-4 yrs because it works so well) near beltway and Braddock Rd. The number of stops depends on ambient temp. People coming from Md will often meet the group at one of the downtown stops. Even when we lived in Md we always did the whole route because I really enjoyed the drive down the GW parkway. How to survive? Many layers topped w/ a coat w/ a hood and a baseball cap. Pull the strings to tighten the hood around your head and the bill of the cap will keep the hood moving with your head so you don't suddenly find one eye inside the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same model on all 3 of my builds. Never attached them, just told the inspector that it was in a box in the trunk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was able to log in. Philleas Fog posted specifically about the problem. Have you checked your spam email folder?

Not sure if anyone is overseeing the Capital Cobra group...
    still no confirmation e-mail. I tried to have it resent multiple times. the interface says it sent, but..... sob...
    I would love to start participating in CAC....

Post Thanks / Like
    nothing in the junk mail or spam folder.
    I even tried with two different e-mail account.
    the website says the verification e-mail sent. I checked the server on my end and nothing came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    I was able to log in. Philleas Fog posted specifically about the problem. Have you checked your spam email folder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    PM me your address so I can forward it to the site admin.

nothing in the junk mail or spam folder.
    I even tried with two different e-mail account.
    the website says the verification e-mail sent. I checked the server on my end and nothing came in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just started my Mk4 build in Northern Virginia. This thread has been very helpful and informative. I currently don't plan to include wipers, heat, or defrost in my build. Sounds like I'll be OK with a manual or marine-style temporary wiper on the DS, but what about defrost? Will I have problems getting it inspected with no defroster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the VA statute, 1969 and after is the date that cars had to have a working defroster to pass state inspection. Since you will be registered as a 1965, you should be fine. Members in the Capital Area Cobra Club mentioned above should be able to guide you a 1965 Cobra friendly/knowledgeable inspection station.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/adminco...70/section230/

51. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi JB,

If you're anywhere near Fairfax, you're welcome to drop by (after the Governor lifts his stay-at-home order of course). Just send a DM & I'll send you my contact information.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631

53. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post