Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honest question

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBish View Post
    Kevin:
    Wasn't Ford vs Ferrari excellent? I'm not looking to recover labor. I ended up with 1,000 hours into my '65 plus $65k. I do not want to buy a completed car. I am looking for the build experience. The whole resale question was because I am an accountant. You all are convincing me cost is NOT why you do this.
    Steve
    Yeah, was unanimous thumbs up with the 20 guys we had at the show, great movie. If you get an chance watch "Shelby American" on Netflix, very good documentary. As for the money aspect once I decided I could afford it I just went ahead & built it. As paid receipts came in & I stuck them in a draw on my workbench. The draw is only opened to put a receipt in, have no idea what the car cost to build. Car is insured for $57,500
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTHiker52 View Post
    as I get older and the knees and back hurt more, getting in and out of it may become a problem.
    Right there with you, especially the day after tennis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the same age as you and love my Roadster. I retired in 2016 and received my kit in Jan 2017 and go-karted 3 months later, completed in approx 9 months (excluding time for two surgeries ). If you're planning to sell right away, no, it's not a good investment ($$ wise). I enjoyed the build and drive mine several times a week. Was out today (mid 60s today). Not sure where you live... maybe a coupe if you're in a cooler winter weather area.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ducky:
    I live in the Seattle area. Congrats on the retirement. I am two to three years out. No plans for re-sale, in fact I have not sold any of my other cars. The '65 was purchased in '94 but not completed until 2010.$T2eC16N,!ykE9s7tvVRcBRP+Iw0Ipw~~60_3.jpg20140702_193158.jpg20451853_1392629847519603_3266706701014500185_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    ... No plans for re-sale, in fact I have not sold any of my other cars. The '65 was purchased in '94 but not completed until 2010...
    Right. Except you said "Resale value?" up front in your initial post. Then had a whole paragraph about cost, build versus buy, average resale, etc. So many of us have responded accordingly. I would venture to say nearly everyone goes into these projects with no intention to sell. But it happens. For lots of reasons. I've sold two. Neither of which I started with that even in my mind. But I also like to build. So that was a way to keep builds happening.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    collector cars (3)
    motorcycles (3)
    daily cars (3)
    boats (2)
    trailer (1)
    tractor (1)
    Am I winning?
    If you enjoy having them and building them, it's always a win. And as for being an accountant and doing one of these, I'm a mechanical engineer and prior USAF officer. While I'm not counting every dollar, my attention to detail, re-thinking everything, overly concerned about fitments and component reliability/design......I'm my own worst enemy. The value isn't necessarily in what the cars costs so much as what they provide.

motorcycles (0) All gone!
    daily cars (4)
    boats (1) My big boats are gone! (YEA!!) Now I have a little aluminum jon-boat for fishing the salt water creeks. Love it more than the big live-aboard I've had.
    trailer (2)
    tractor (2)
    Motorhome (1) 45', 600 HP Cummins
    Collector Cars (1)
    FFR Cars (1/2) But already thinking of another one after this one is done.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too, had reservations about starting a 65 Coupe project at almost 70 years old. It's now 98% complete (spent too much time in the paint shop), I am 74, still work full time and just beginning a new build. My theory is being busy is good. My wife keeps reminding me that she hears a lot more groaning and moaning coming from the garage. Have to admit that getting in and out is not easy. I will say that you must stay focused, so finish your incomplete projects first.Belinda 9-15 2 (1).JPG

8. Likes TheBish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience after retirement is a great time to start a Factory Five build! Build your own car for the enjoyment of making a great car where you know every part because you put it in. Regarding customizing your build, it does add time but for me that was a big part of the fun. Read how others solved issues like having a full size glovebox and a heater/defroster, then digging in and doing it your own way is super satisfying!

I will be 72 later this week and have had a blast getting my car to where I shipped it off to Jeff Miller for final bodywork and painting last month. I expect to complete my car and get it road legal early next year. I’m looking forward to many miles on the road!
    Seattle area; MK4 kit received 5/18; Build completed 3/20; Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600; IRS; Wilwood brakes; PS; PB; Gas-N sidepipes; Vinyl Dash with glovebox; Heater/Defroster; Premium Soft Top

Post Thanks / Like
    lgordon:
    I would love to see your car when you get it back. I had the pleasure of visiting JW in Kirkland over the weekend to view his build. Regards, Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lgordon View Post
    In my experience after retirement is a great time to start a Factory Five build! Build your own car for the enjoyment of making a great car where you know every part because you put it in. Regarding customizing your build, it does add time but for me that was a big part of the fun. Read how others solved issues like having a full size glovebox and a heater/defroster, then digging in and doing it your own way is super satisfying!

I will be 72 later this week and have had a blast getting my car to where I shipped it off to Jeff Miller for final bodywork and painting last month. I expect to complete my car and get it road legal early next year. I’m looking forward to many miles on the road!
    I'd love to see it, too. Make it a public event!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an older MK1 with a soft top and wipers as well as a GTM. if you need to sit in one. im in Olympia by cabela's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12