Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Driving your Roadster in bad weather, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Driving your Roadster in bad weather, etc.

I have a general question for any owners who have done a lot of mixed weather driving and multi day road trips in their roadster. I’m not needing info on optional folding tops. I’m sure they work fine. I’m looking for info from anyone who’s done a lot of miles in variable weather in their ‘permanent convertible’.

What are your preferred methods for braving the elements, overnight parking at a hotel, and general theft prevention?

As for anti theft, there are some general tricks that are obvious... quick battery disconnect, a hidden kill switch for the electric fuel pump, removable steering wheel. I’m curious to know what other ideas are out there.

As for weather, an interior car cover of some type is pretty standard. Something that doesn’t take up much storage room in the trunk but covers important parts of the car if there’s some overnight rain and it’s parked outside.

Any other tried and true methods on weatherproofing an interior in case you have to spend a day driving through a pouring rain? How susceptible are modern electronic gauges and fuse blocks in wet conditions?

Not exactly short answers, I realize. Any info or links would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've driven in the rain plenty of times. It's no fun. Period. A few times I've pulled off and taken refuge under the canopies at gas stations, banks, funeral homes (not joking). You'll get wet, the inside of the car will get wet. Both will dry. Be sure to punch a few drain holes in the floor. When I'm at a hotel overnight (3-4 times per year) if there is a chance of rain I get the waterproof cover out of the trunk and put it on, otherwise not. Antitheft? Most times I remember to take the keys out---but have failed to do so a few times. I keep it insured and don't worry about it. If it disappears I'll build another.

Jeff

4. Likes RBachman, ydousurf, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK I'll try. Not in a FFR but my two Superformance MKIIIs.

Two trips from Grand Rapids, MI to the continental divide & I-70 in Colorado, then to Great Falls, MT and back home. Bugs, big bugs and a bunch more bugs, car became a cafeteria for the bees and wasps. One trip in second car to Colorado and back. Two trips to Virginia International Raceway for two days of tracking. Four or more, don't remember, trips to The London Cobra Show, seems to always rain in London. Then many "day trips" of 200-400 miles. Didn't usually leave in the rain, OK there were three or four times, but came home wet a bunch of times.

Been hot 104F, been cold 4F, mountains in Colorado during torrential downpours, sidepipes sound like a boat when in deep water, mountains in hail storms. Denver when I had the wipers safely stored in the trunk, note to self: there's not enough RainX to dissipate a half inch of standing water on a windshield. Put drain holes in the floor. Plastic bags for everything that needs to stay dry, don't forget to cover the GPS, they don't like water, they call that a "hint".

I stayed at hotels along the routes, tonneau, locked hood and trunk. Sleep with a .45 but don't wake up in tornados. Parked the car, tried for close to the lobby but not always possible, covered it once, maybe twice. Wet covers are worse than wet cars, gave up on covers. Ran with the top up once or twice in the rain, tops are a PITA and only keep you "less wet", better, but still wet. Always covered with tonneau when parked, the SPF covers worked well. Often ran with the tonneau but it flaps around at 90, almost lost it once. Rooster tails are cool.

Sucked up a tweety bird at a buck and a quarter, the radiator rock screen took a hit. Lots of rocks but only had one stone chip, pretty much covered the whole front of the car. Almost got an antelope in the middle of nowhere Montana, would have made a mess.

But it's all worthwhile. Driving a Cobra cross country is about as close to being a cowboy as you can get. Last trip was running east on I-70 in western Missouri. Heading into St. Louis for 5 o'clock traffic during a storm was a bit more than I wanted to experience. Went NE trying to get behind the storm, not really successful but close. Took a 2-lane, the rain had mostly stopped. Listening to Hendrix with earbuds with a double rainbow to the east. Perfect!

People often look at you funny when your driving in the rain. Just remember, you're still the one in a Cobra, they may be dry but who wants to be in a minivan?

The car will dry, the bugs, rocks, water, sunburn are all part of the experience. You'll have more to talk about and more fun than you'll ever get worrying about it.

Hammer down!

Jim

6. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes Logan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry a weatherproof cover in the trunk. And I use it every night I'm in a hotel. It not only protects the car from bad weather and poo, it's out of sight.

I have a motorcycle cable lock. It's about 3/4" around or so. I wrap that through the wheel and around a suspension component. If possible, I try to park close enough to a planted object to wrap it around that, too. Along with the standards stuff you mentioned, I figure the car is fairly safe.

Like he said, it's insured. I'll build another one.

Driving in the rain is not fun. But, it's not horrible. Driving a 925 truck in the rain is worse. If you can keep your speed above 45 or so, you can sorta stay dry.
    - keep a towel handy for the inside of the windshield
    - place silicone underneath the windshield post trim
    - Place the visor horizontal. If it is up, rain will hit it, and then drip in your lap.
    - place a 8'ish inch piece of rubber weatherstripping on the body, starting at the windshield post and going back at a 45-60* angle. That helps channel water away from you.

Keep in mind that most Cobra's have high performance tires. That usually means crappy wet weather performance. Go easy on control inputs.

If you're in Colorado and get caught in a storm, press on. They're usually small and short. You'll be better off driving through it than stopping. But, they can get intense.

.boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

8. Thanks ydousurf, Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller, RSCamaro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crappy snow performance too, Bob. I took a drive up Deer Creek Canyon on our last 63 degree day. Temperature started to drop like it does in shaded canyons, made one too many bends as I climbed up through 7000 feet and whoa! Snow packed road! Easy there Miles, easy on the throttle and still fish-tailing. Turned around as gently as I could and headed for warmer weather.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don’t mind the elements when it’s just cold. The seat heat I installed is capable of grilling your buns on high and the heater/defroster actually does a good job on your lower half plus the vent is a good place to warm cold hands. My neck was an issue on a drive home from the FvF movie at night. It was 36 degrees on a 50 minute drive at 80 mph. My solution for this will be a new hat and electric scarf for Christmas. I hope.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 11-30-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, I never drive it in bad weather

Seriously, no matter what you do you will get wet, only issue is how much. Have a Tonneau cover but no roof. The cover with a zipper separating the driver/passenger sides of the car keeps the heat inside with the passenger side in position. Weather here is good enough for year round driving. Came home in the dark, no nice warm sun, from the FORD V Ferrari movie at 44*F & never turned the heat on. Was mid upper 50*F's when I left the house & the sun is still strong here.

Tires mean wet ground is like snow to regular tires. No sudden inputs or the traction will go away very quickly. Temperatures under 40*F will also cause cautious dry weather driving if you are running 100 treadware tires.

Only weather related problem with the car was my Fuel Pump Relay got the green plague when water leaked down from the windshield attachment point. My fuse box is in the recommended location & is subject to water infiltration unless well sealed. The area at the front/top of the drivers door also needs attention or you will get a wet thigh.

Skipped the windshield wipers as they are not needed here to get the car registered. Coating of RainX on both outside & inside of the windshield helps a lot but you will want to keep a towel in the car.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Kevin, I like they idea of the snap style tonneau cover like you did. Having half the cockpit covered while driving in cool weather as I remember from my 63 MGB was a nice option. Can I get details on how you went about it? There aren’t a lot of options/resources out there since it’s much more common that people use the snap-less kind.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Following this thread from the warm weather state of Minnesota!��

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Hey Kevin, I like they idea of the snap style tonneau cover like you did. Having half the cockpit covered while driving in cool weather as I remember from my 63 MGB was a nice option. Can I get details on how you went about it? There aren’t a lot of options/resources out there since it’s much more common that people use the snap-less kind.
    Also went through the TR3A/B & Morgan +4SS back in Jersey weather during the 1960's. Cover was/is supplied by Whitby. Had them do the install when the car was painted. They also sell the cover as a DIY project. Nothing special on the install only thing you want to be sure of is to use bolt on studs not screw in as they will pull out of the composite body. There is a hand tool available to set the dot lifts onto the cover itself. Cover has been in use since the car was registered in 2015 & has stood up very well.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-30-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

15. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll add a bit more.

Tires. If you're really considering driving in the rain, not wanting too but planning long enough rides that you expect to get wet, think about tires. Some tires of the sizes for these cars are great dry but suffer in rain. Others are good dry and way better than average when wet. I've found the Goodyear GS-D3s 275 & 315 17's to be excellent (2 sets), the Michelin PS2s (1 set) in 275 & 335 17's to be very good as well. Lots of dry, wet and track miles on both. But be real careful when it gets cold, neither are recommended at temps where you'll want a heater, but they'll work. I've pushed both into the 40's. As previously mentioned gentle throttle, braking and steering responses. As is already known, "hydroplaning" is the problem, the tire tread pattern determines when.

Tonneau. The unit shown by Kevin BAER-Av looks great, I hope to do something similar. But, if all you use is the tonneau when parking it's best with the nose up if you expect rain. The rear haunches will collect water and dump it into the cockpit. One of the problems I found with the tonneau is how to roll or fold it out of the way when driving. Consider this, the passenger side is in place, the driver's side is folded down to the trans tunnel, this isn't bad but tends to "billow" a lot with the air coming in under the section over the passenger door. If you unzip the center and roll/fold it back it will be over the shoulder harness, this may not work for you. Experiment to find your solution. I tried door pins, adding the snaps to the section over the door, wasn't happy, didn't think it worked well. Duct tape however works real well to hold it down but probably not recommended if you value your paint.

The outside fender mirror. These seem to direct water around the windshield to the gap between the door and body. That track is conveniently positioned and directed towards your outside leg. Way better than getting center-punched but you're still wet and it looks funny. As Bob Cowan mentioned some form of weather stripping on the body and between the door and body will help.

I know a lot of guys that carried DAP Seal N Peal https://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/...strip-sealant/ to fill the gaps and make temporary gaskets. Works well, never found it to cause problems.

Plastic bags. I carried enough to store everything that would get wet. A rain suit might keep you dryer.

As Jeff said, "...both will dry".

Jim

17. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trick for overnight stays with the tonneau cover. Agree stopped for any long period of time the cover will sag and water collects on it. Take a large beach ball & blow it up & set it on the transmission cover before you put the tonneau on. Will create a slope to let a lot of the water run off.

Still a good plan to drill some drain holes in the floor.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-04-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

19. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the great information. While it definitely wouldn’t be my goal to drive in the rain, I certainly would not want the weather to become a permanent obstacle for a few day multi state adventure. Motorcyclists do it all the time, so I figured you all had solutions.

I had pondered the drain plug in the floor idea... seems logical and since if it’s aluminum, no problems with starting a rust hole. The bolt on studs for a cover is also a great idea.

Still not sure which kind of kit I’ll get, but your info can certainly be used on other permanent convertibles, no doubt.

21. Likes brewha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Florida. When it rains it is often torrential. I have been in it without and with a top. I have been in rain so heavy that when I parked on the side of the street for lunch, my sidepipes were submerged.

Your best bet without a top is keep moving if you are on an interstate. If on smaller roads, find something with a roof to sit it out. I have not had a hydroplaning issue with Nitto NT-05s. But I take it easy in the rain.

Build your car with windshield wipers, a heater, and seat heaters. You will use them all.

For overnight parking. You cannot make your car theft proof. That is what insurance is for. A manual transmission and a battery cutoff is enough to stop most joy riders. Professionals will use a tow truck and your car will be gone in 30 seconds no matter what.

I have a snapless tonneau cover. That will keep your interior dry and keep people from messing around when parked. It is also good on hot sunny days.

DO NOT carry a sheet of plastic and put it over your car in the rain. It will leave marks on your paint that take buffing to get out.

I also have a premium soft top. That is your best option, but not the cheap way. They are still not completely waterproof, but you will be dry minus a few drips. I always keep a hand towel tucked behind the seat. You will also be nice and warm. I keep mine on in the summer for the sun.

As mentioned, the windshield pillars need to be sealed. It took me a few tries. The drivers side aims water right at the fuse panel I filled a couple flashers up with water before I got mine sealed. Seal everything during the build.

Keep a sense of humor. You are driving a car that has all quirks and just about no features.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

Keep a sense of humor. You are driving a car that has all quirks and just about no features.

Hahahahhaaa! Best advise ever.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

24. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Unsafe At Any Speed View Post
    I have a general question for any owners who have done a lot of mixed weather driving and multi day road trips in their roadster. I’m not needing info on optional folding tops. I’m sure they work fine. I’m looking for info from anyone who’s done a lot of miles in variable weather in their ‘permanent convertible’.

What are your preferred methods for braving the elements, overnight parking at a hotel, and general theft prevention?

As for anti theft, there are some general tricks that are obvious... quick battery disconnect, a hidden kill switch for the electric fuel pump, removable steering wheel. I’m curious to know what other ideas are out there.

As for weather, an interior car cover of some type is pretty standard. Something that doesn’t take up much storage room in the trunk but covers important parts of the car if there’s some overnight rain and it’s parked outside.

Any other tried and true methods on weatherproofing an interior in case you have to spend a day driving through a pouring rain? How susceptible are modern electronic gauges and fuse blocks in wet conditions?

Not exactly short answers, I realize. Any info or links would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last years trip was done in the rain, and I'll share a couple of things as a permanent convertible guy.

Weather: Frogg Togg Bib pants and full jacket - Packed and always ready to go. Clothes under the rain gear stayed dry while driving in the pouring rain. Wide brim hat for slow speed rains (all bought at Bass Pro Shop).
    Door weather stripping: Putting that weather stripping around the perimeter of the door where it meets the body was a HUGE improvement for keeping the water out while driving.
    Gap behind the seats: There's a gap where the body and frame meet that needs to be filled in order to keep water out of the cabin. We found this out in our first ride in the rain when the rooster tail from the tire was spraying into the
    cabin. Closing that gap was a huge improvement.
    Windshield post: I filled that thing with sealant - a ton of it
    Overnight stay: I too have the snapless tonneau cover and use it at nights in hotel parking lots. I think it's great, and very easy to put on and take off. I have had thunderstorms overnight, and the cover has kept the cabin dry.
    Electronics: I used weatherpack connections on anything that I had concern about getting wet. I went into this build KNOWING that my electronics would get wet, so I prepared for that to happen. No issues yet and I've been in some downpours.
    Tires: BF Goodrich tires have been great for me. I've never felt unsafe with those tires in the rain.
    Braking in the rain: I need to spend more time with the braking in the rain but I always leave myself plenty of room and am careful with the braking.
    Interior: Raw Aluminum and LOVE IT! I did add clear grip spray for the transmission cover and floor. Prevents slipping on the wet aluminum.
    Theft: I have everything that you've listed; removable steering wheel (never use it), Battery cut off (use it if concerned), tonneau cover (use it whenever chance of rain, park in the city and will be away from car for hours, or if on an overnight stay)

Guess that's it. Get out there and drive that thing!!
    Dave

Photo Day 1 by D. R., on Flickr
    Last edited by DadofThree; 12-05-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

26. Likes rezell3d liked this post