FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: The young generation

Post Thanks / Like

The young generation

My daughter who teaches high school, invited me to bring the Cobra and do a presentation on building kit cars. I thought well this should be cool since the Ford vs Ferrari movie has just been released. What a great lead-in… or maybe not! Out of 80 some odd students, only 2 had even heard of the movie. So now I got to explain who Carroll Shelby was and the impacts on our world, in about 10 minutes. The kids did go nuts over the car so maybe I planted a seed in at least one youngster. It does cause me great concern for the future of our hobby though. Maybe a few of them will go see the movie at least.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

2. Likes GoDadGo, rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My son and many coworkers kids have no desire to get a car or a license. Many of them only see cars as an appliance. The day I turned 15 1/2, I was at the DMV getting my permit. It is a different time now. For better or for worse.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

4. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many are brainwashed into thinking cars are killing the planet, and we only have 10 years to live.

6. Thanks GoDadGo, frankeeski thanked for this post
    Likes FlyFactoryFive, Mark Eaton liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think the problem is the cars that have been produced over the past 20-30 years have absolutely no personality so all our kids have ever been exposed to are FWD Grocery-Getters, Mini-Vans & The Dreaded Hybrid Eco-Mobiles. In our house our kids have been exposed to a car crazy uncle and father with a mom who likes cars too.

https://youtu.be/A5WUZgl6N5Q

Building a car with my son has been a wonderful experience and swinging wrenches is what we do since this Dad gets depressed when football season starts because the drag racing and road racing seasons are nearly over.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

While Baby Go-Dad's friends all like cars, I've noticed the fellows who have been raised by their Mom's (divorced parents and/or weekend fathers) have no concept of any auto related hobbies, much less the car culture that we all grew up with.

https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk

Personally I feel blessed that two of my my three kids are in to vintage cars, monster trucks, and auto racing. The good news is our oldest, who is not into cars, always invites us to participate in the annual car show and cook off at the school where she teaches.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...hmentid=105128

My advice is to talk to the kids that ask you about your car and open up the hood and show them what packs that punch. Fire it up to let them hear those great exhaust notes and even take them for rides, with the permission of their parents of course. Hopefully we can spark some flames and generate some serious interest to the hobby that we all love so much.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-01-2019 at 02:23 PM.

8. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My last one just turned 50 & all 3 girls like & are aware of & drive performance cars. Started when they were young helping me build/modify what whatever was my current fun car.

Their first car was a 1981 Datsun 280ZX MT that we converted to a rag top from a T-top in 1982. They were far enough apart in age that all 3 got to drive it to high school. The last one kept it through her first job then it came back to me. My StingRay also wound up the HS parking lot on occasion, was not happy about that

The Cobra pushed it out of its garage space & I gave it to Make A Wish for the tax credit in 2014

The girls did well in life, think they leaned how to accept new ideas & stick with something till it's done helping out at a young age. Have 1 President & CEO of a major division of a top 5 Pharma, 1 University Professor & 1 VP of another top 5 Pharma competing with her sister.

They all still drive MT's 2 Porsches & 1 BMW & have done HPDS at VIR. The trend has been passed along. The grandkids that are old enough to drive. boy 24 girl 21, learned on my MT pickup truck & also have done a HPDS at BMW in SC. Grandson has a 6MT coupe, Grand Daughter went the other way with an AT 4X4 SUV. She still takes her mothers car out when she is on school break. My youngest grandchild, a 4 year old boy, likes to see his Hot Wheels fly through the air, not sure how that will work out.

With MT's drying up as installed in new cars they are probably the last generation to have that opportunity. Big thread on the Corvette site about the C8 going 8DCT with no MT option. Up to 6,149 posts & 454,875 views. The new Shelby GT500 is also DCT with no MT option so outside of the Shelby GT350, BMW M3/4 & Porsche 718/911 the MT land is getting very thin.

BTW just relooked at the pictures. The red Mustang Mach 1 was a conversion I did for my nephew. Car was bought used with a 351 Windsor & a FORD AT. We converted to a Cleveland 351 & a 5MT. Picture was taken some time in the 1980's based on the 280's wheels. Bought a set of factory alloys from the local foreign car salvage yard later in the decade & prior to moving from that house.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-01-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

10. Likes GoDadGo, FlyFactoryFive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The purist brand cars are in good shape,Mustangs Camaros and Charges, just go to any of these cars show and you'll see all ages share the podiums, but the millennium and x gen are into imports for sure and very little interest on vintage cars or anything that requires lots of labor, if they want to go racing they just pick one from the menu of the Xbox.
    Both on my kids were in the middle of their high school before they started driving, the oldest is into Jeeps while the youngest ( teacher) is in a Prius and yes she is saving the planet.
    If I tell the young guy who ask about my car that it is a component/kit car then the next question is how much it cost followed by how long does it take to build, they kind of like the cost aspect of it but they sure don't like it when I tell them that it will consume their life for the next 2-5 years if the work hard at it.
    The kit car world has a bad reputation for whatever reason and I think we all know some of them.
    With time and patience and some know how you can make a bad kit look awesome....even a Bradley GT...

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    My first build. Can’t wait to do one with him when he’s a few years older.

Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    "It does cause me great concern for the future of our hobby though."

Sadly I think a lot of young adults and thirty-somethings (millennials, essentially) are priced out of cars as a hobby. I have commented here a few times that "if it were easy everyone would do it," which I think is true. But it also takes a good bit of disposable income, skills, tools, space to store equipment, etc. to play in this sandbox. Many people I know between 20 and 35 are dealing with stagnant wages, high home prices, serious student loan debt, high interest rates on the debt, and so on. For someone in that situation, and starting at square 1 in terms of skills, getting into hobby cars is like a high-income Gen Xer or baby boomer getting a pilot's license and buying an aircraft, albeit one you might be able to repair yourself. That's unfortunate for a number of reasons, and I agree it does not bode well for this hobby long-term.

14. Thanks mad_dr thanked for this post
    Likes mad_dr, the911s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's still hope. A story about a young man local to me:

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-ne...photos-1589951

16. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter is not a car nut but...her first three cars were all sticks. The middle car, a Corolla, was totalled 2 years into it's life and we were frantically searching for a replacement. I kept texting and emailing back and forth showing possibilities and there were few sticks around. She decided she wanted a Mazda 3 and finally said, I don't care what color as long as it is a stick. Fortunately we were able to find one in a nice charcoal. After the 2nd kid she had to give in and get a RAV 4 so no stick. One day she told me they were watching TV and there was an ad for 4 Runner showing a stick version. She was all excited thinking that would be a nice step up. Unfortunately all we could figure was they had used a Euro spec pre-production car for the ad because they never made a stick available here. Last spring her husband wanted an old Jeep Cherokee to fix up. They ended up on an 8 hour drive to get one. I asked why so long a drive. Answer was he wanted a 4 wheel drive 5 speed and they are super rare. But I agree, now that the dual clutch auto manual cars are faster in every condition than a stick, I think slowly but surely stick trans will die off. Also the manufacturers have to emissions certify each car they sell. Doing an auto is step one and a stick version is another step. I don't know if they have to do a complete certification on the stick or just a partial, but either way, it is an added expense of many millions of dollars just to sell a stick model. I hate it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have observed similar instances where younger teens could care less about a camed engine rumbling through side pipes.
    Their loss. But the future is theirs and I am firmly rooted in the past.
    So be it.
    Less is Less

19. Likes GoDadGo, Yama-Bro, BEAR-AvHistory liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSumners View Post
    My first build. Can’t wait to do one with him when he’s a few years older.

I showed this picture to my wife last night and we agreed that this kid will be the ultimate car guy!

The Joy On His Face Says It All!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    Sadly I think a lot of young adults and thirty-somethings (millennials, essentially) are priced out of cars as a hobby. I have commented here a few times that "if it were easy everyone would do it," which I think is true. But it also takes a good bit of disposable income, skills, tools, space to store equipment, etc. to play in this sandbox. Many people I know between 20 and 35 are dealing with stagnant wages, high home prices, serious student loan debt, high interest rates on the debt, and so on...
    I have to disagree. In relative terms the vast majority of us were in the exact same financial position at this age. I'd venture to say that we had the same percentage of disposable income and just prioritized differently. Their interest in cars is not as high and is lower on their list of wants or desires. I realize this is painting in broad strokes but it's what I'm seeing in my nieces and nephews who fit this demographic.

BUT...maybe there is hope for the following generation! My grandson, now 8 years old, has been totally eaten up with cars since he was a toddler and has absolutely no desire for anything involving a stick or ball (much to his Dad's chagrin). Here he is "helping Pawpaw with the racing cars" when he was 3 1/2:

On the other hand my Grandaughter, not quite 4, wants to DRIVE!

Jeff

22. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My daughters are all still young (2 in elementary, 1 in middle)... Their elementary school is right in our neighborhood.
    Every time I drive through the school-zone on the way to work, at least every other kid looks, points and mouths the word "wow" or "there it is again!" as I rumble past.
    When I pull up to the school to get them out of after-school-care, the boys line up at the window in the cafeteria to oogle the car.
    My middle daughter tells me that all the boys in the school ask her lots of questions about the Cobra.. "what is is?", "where'd he get it", "can he take me for a ride in it?".. etc.
    They might not have known much about old classic muscle cars before, but I'll tell you what, every kid in that school knows now!!
    Hopefully I'm planting a few Gear-Head seeds into some of those young minds. bobl.. I'm sure you've done the same with those Highschoolers .
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

24. Thanks BEAR-AvHistory thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was a teenager, everyone went to the DMV on their birthday to get their license. Today, if you can't do it on your phone, they just aren't interested.

Yes, there are some young car nuts. But, it is a very small percentage compared to what it was. Even most "car guys" just go buy something nice, and drool over supercars, but have no idea how to really drive, or any desire to learn. No desire to work on a car, or interest in real car events.

I think that a major thing now is that everyone wants to just buy (on credit) or lease what they want. They don't want to save up for anything or fix something up.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a father of a 19 year old college student, I have asked my son his thoughts on why kids his age aren't into the classics. His response was pretty straight forward. With all the college loans that people have, a toy car is not in their short term future. For those that do have the funds (and no loans), most of the gear heads are into the foreign AWD, turbocharged cars. They don't want a three year project. They want a 15 minute computer tune that makes their car backfire like a rifle shot. My son loves driving the Cobra, but clearly admits that he'd drive a Nissan at the drop of a hat if he could. Our build was a lot of fun and a big eye opener for me. Things like tools and the understanding of how things work were foreign to my son in most cases. Even as a Jet Engine Mechanic, there were many things he experienced on the car that he was clueless about. While working with our engine builder, my son was shocked with all the measurements and specs that applied to simply installing the crank shaft in the block. There isn't a lack of kids that are into cars, they just aren't into the old classics like we are. Times change, and so do people's tastes.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think it all comes full circle. There is something about getting older that makes you want to hold on to some things of the past. I know that's the case for me. I love technology and the new cars of today, but we also love what used to be and the rawness of it. For those of us that can afford both, that is the ultimate scenario. Our kids can't fathom being able to afford both at this point. But hopefully the day will come when they can, and I'll bet they option to go old school. The question will be, does old school for them mean something from the 80's? I would bet that rumble of the Cobra will be on the top of their list.
    That's my hope anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    My kids (boys ages 11 & 13) think my car is cool, but don’t hardly ever want to go in it. They think it is embarrassing because it is too loud. They also don’t ever want to ride in my airplane. They go to airshows and watch me preform, but as of now, they show no desire for gasoline. It’s almost as if there is a certain embarrassment with their friends about things that are considered extravagant. A certain part of me is happy that they don’t feel like showing off is a good personal trait, but they haven’t yet figure out the biggest difference between showing off and enjoying something special. Their friends are more apt to ask for a ride in the car or the plane.

X

8293AED4-414F-47F8-BBBC-287118FD1B69.jpeg
    Last edited by Xkuzme1; 12-03-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xkuzme1 View Post
    My kids (boys ages 11 & 13) think my car is cool, but don’t hardly ever want to go in it. They think it is embarrassing because it is too loud. They also don’t ever want to ride in my airplane. They go to airshows and watch me preform, but as of now, they show no desire for gasoline. It’s almost as if there is a certain embarrassment with their friends about things that are considered extravagant. A certain part of me is happy that they don’t feel like showing off is a good personal trait, but they haven’t yet figure out the biggest difference between showing off and enjoying something special. Their friends are more apt to ask for a ride in the car or the plane.

X

8293AED4-414F-47F8-BBBC-287118FD1B69.jpeg
    Nice! RV4? With 77 different models of aircraft in my logbook, I have to say, I’ve never stepped foot in one. I’d take a ride.

There’s nothing wrong with kids going in their own different direction, we all did it. Besides, as gearheads back in the day we were not in the mainstream anyway. These cars are special because not everyone has the drive to build or maintain one. The rest depend on us for that. And I’m certain a small group of the new generation will pick up the mantle.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    My daughter who teaches high school, invited me to bring the Cobra and do a presentation on building kit cars. I thought well this should be cool since the Ford vs Ferrari movie has just been released. What a great lead-in… or maybe not! Out of 80 some odd students, only 2 had even heard of the movie. So now I got to explain who Carroll Shelby was and the impacts on our world, in about 10 minutes. The kids did go nuts over the car so maybe I planted a seed in at least one youngster. It does cause me great concern for the future of our hobby though. Maybe a few of them will go see the movie at least.

Bob
    I don't think this is a generational thing. some people just don't care about cars and it isn't the kids fault their parents know nothing about cars. Look at the majority of people out there, I bet if you put together a room full of 100 people maybe 10 would know who Carroll Shelby was. to most people a car is just an appliance and those people can't understand why we spend so much money on a fancy and impractical dishwasher.
    Last edited by ProJoe; 12-04-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't get into cars until after I was out of the navy and had a good paying job. wanted a convertible but wife found a great deal on a 99 frc vette and 3 months later I found my convertible (another 99 vette) so I bought it too and we both drove them. did all the maintenance and started learning about cars then in my early 30s. my brother was always into cars - mustangs - and I could care less growing up. just wanted something to get me around. 1st car was a POS 71 maverick . . . . love a manual transmission too. friend had a coupe 99 vette with an auto and we swapped one day while we were out cruising on a day off. didn't feel the same, I wasn't part of the car like with my manual. not sure I can pull the trigger on a c8 without a stick . . . . oh and my 18yo likes cars - mustangs (I try to talk sense into him) but absolutely does not want to work on them. "You make enough money, have somebody work on it for you", no way unless I cant do it, find a video, or get a friend to help. that's the fun. that's why I want to build one of these . . . soon hopefully. my daughter (31) don't even let her see a tool, my son (26) likes jeeps but isn't there yet financially to have his own toys so he helps a friend with his

32. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems to all depend on the person. Everyone's taste in what they consider cool or fun is different. I have three daughters very far apart. My oldest loves cars, her first car was a red RX8. She would come visit when I was racing at the track. She has a manual Mercedes convertible as her fun weekend car now. The 2nd daughter really doesn't car much about cars. She thinks the race car is "cool".
    I've had a number of young guys working for me over the years. A few spent their whole weekend messing with their trucks - bigger tires, lift kits, chips.
    The hobby is still around and going strong. It maybe a little different with the cars being modified and worked on, but it is still there.
    I feel cars are becoming more and more disconnected from the driver with all the aids and DCT tranny etc. My C7 Z06 is a 7 speed and I would not have it any other way.
    Last edited by TrevorP; 12-06-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the time a 5 year old is old enough to drive they will not be allowed to. Tesla has exceeded 1 billion recorded miles. Of those at least 100 million were in self driving mode (OK, semi self driving). Accident rate while in self driving mode was 4 times lower than national average per mile for drivers. Within two years it will likely be 10 times safer. Who will insure human drivers when they are the primary cause of accidents? Fedex has been flying autonomous jumbo jets coast to coast for over two years (with the pilot on board, JIC). They are now flying them without the pilot! 14 companies are building people carrying drones. Some are moving from prototype to production now. UPS has received the first FAA waver to allow non line of sight drone deliveries. Its very bittersweat. I'm an acceleration junkie, but 25,000 people die every year from "accidents" which are all really just driver error in one way or another.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it has a lot to do with the parents and if they pass the love for cars onto the kids. My 15 year old son loves cars. This summer he bought his first vehicle...a '83 GMC square body truck that's slammed to the ground. It's a sweet first ride, no doubt, if you are a car guy. I'm sure a lot of his friends won't understand why he's driving this "old junker" LOL. I think it can go the opposite way to, if a kid is exposed to something too much they loose interest in it. For instance, I really like kayaking. We've gone on tons of trips. Both boys have their own kayaks and they'll go on the family trips, but if they are offered up a quick weekend float trip, they'll usually pass. I think they've just got their fill of it. I know there are things my parents did when I was a kid that I have no interest in doing.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    The approach I'm taking with my daughter is to let her know that cars and working on cars can be a hobby if she's interested. To do this, I talk out loud about cars that I spot and may say a little something about them.

Screenshot_20180611-210754 by D. R., on Flickr

I'm also getting her on the ground sometimes to help me with automobile "stuff". I get her under the car so that she won't view the mechanics of a car as foreign, but instead see that how it all comes together. She especially loves the creeper. Here's a pic of her "catching the starter" as I'm taking out the last bolt. She's not with me for longer than 15 minutes unless she wants to be.

My wife's getting into it too

Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    By the time a 5 year old is old enough to drive they will not be allowed to. Tesla has exceeded 1 billion recorded miles. Of those at least 100 million were in self driving mode (OK, semi self driving). Accident rate while in self driving mode was 4 times lower than national average per mile for drivers. Within two years it will likely be 10 times safer. Who will insure human drivers when they are the primary cause of accidents? Fedex has been flying autonomous jumbo jets coast to coast for over two years (with the pilot on board, JIC). They are now flying them without the pilot! 14 companies are building people carrying drones. Some are moving from prototype to production now. UPS has received the first FAA waver to allow non line of sight drone deliveries. Its very bittersweat. I'm an acceleration junkie, but 25,000 people die every year from "accidents" which are all really just driver error in one way or another.
    Thats scary, and probably true. It'll start in wackifornia, and spread from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorP View Post
    ......her first car was a red RX8.
    And she still loves cars? That's hard core!

My first car was a Vega. So was my second. How's that for love of punishment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    And she still loves cars? That's hard core!

My first car was a Vega. So was my second. How's that for love of punishment?
    Geeezzz, that’s like those guys who get divorced then end up remarrying the same woman. I was working in a Chevy dealership as the Vega days wound down...made some good money off of those buckets of $hit

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I raised 3 daughters and all 3 had standard shift cars as their first car. Their choice, not mine. They certainly appreciate my love of all things mechanical, but none had much interest in it or cars. I do have a glimmer of hope as we have a 15 month old grandson who is obsessed with toy cars and taking things apart and putting them together. He has some toy Cobras and first thing he does is bring them to me and go vroom and roll them around the floor. Hope I am still around to teach him when he gets older.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    .....those buckets of $hit

Jeff
    Those are actually kind words for Vegas.

The first one was a 74 knotchback for $50 with rust in the fenders, around the tail lights, bottoms of the doors, under the front and rear windscreen, and two or three random holes in the middle of the hood! The AL block had pitting on the top of the cylinders from the open deck design and the cast iron head, like they all did. The passenger seat had a couple rips from wear. I was 15 years old, which means that this car was all of 5 years old! That is mind boggling.

My Dad's friend owned a parts store and a small junk yard full of Vegas, so I had free parts. I certainly learned to work on cars with these.

The 2nd one was $200 and was reasonably rust free except the tailgate (73 Kammback / wagon). Popped in a free engine, and it was good for a couple years.

The sad thing is, not counting the knothcback, they weren't bad looking, basically a mini Camero, and they cornered fairly well for an American 70s car.