Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fuel level sensor gasket

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel level sensor gasket

Filled tank up the other day. Have a leak from somewhere on the top of the tank. Siphoned about 4 gallons and drip stopped. I suspect the fuel level sensor gasket? Lowering the tank for examination will have to wait until my lift is clear of another "project".
    What is the part number for the sensor gasket? Where to get it?
    Spent an hour searching online to no avail.
    Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive should have them.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Try google : mustang fuel pump gasket

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five supplies an "O" ring with the kit. The parts come packaged with a square shaped O ring. (that sounds wrong) FFR supplies a round shaped o ring that should be used.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

5. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Factory Five supplies an "O" ring with the kit. The parts come packaged with a square shaped O ring. (that sounds wrong) FFR supplies a round shaped o ring that should be used.
    The square shape is the correct one to use. Coat it with engine oil when installing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The square shape is the correct one to use. Coat it with engine oil when installing it.
    I use the round one. They don't leak,which is why FFR has supplied them, I have used these on .... probably 20 builds for the sender and the pickup or pump hanger.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, opinions are mixed.
    Is the same seal used on both the level sensor and fuel pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    OK, opinions are mixed.
    Yes. You'll get mixed opinions on round vs. square. I've used both and haven't had an issue. Properly installed I think either will work. Using some lube is important. Or some recommend a very light coat of gasket sealer. Like Permatex or whatever. But probably you'll get different opinions about that too. One other thing though. Check to make sure it's not the filler tube seal that's leaking. My experience is that a failure there is more common than the two you've mentioned. Also can be affected by how much gas is in the tank.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-02-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new one (2-1/4" dia. approx square cross-section o-ring) that I will mail to you if you wish. PM me
    Last edited by frankb; 12-02-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford in the past always used the square cross section gasket, I see now that they use the round shape, so yes, either is fine to use. If you think you will need to remove the sender or fuel pump in the future, then a lube such as oil is highly recommended, I think Permatex would be difficult to get apart, and then cleaned up?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had square ones and they leaked. Tony Z sent me some o-rings and that fixed it. Also replaced the fill tube seal with a Ford part as edwardb suggested since the kit supplied one developed a leak.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    OK, opinions are mixed.
    Dave,
    They are both the same. As I recall when I built your car I used the square profile rings on both...but that's been 6 or 7 years ago and I can't even remember what I did last Tuesday so I could be wrong! As others have said though either will work.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Reviving an old thread...

I just got my new-to-me MKIV this week (wahoo!). Today was my first drive. I filled it up with gas until the pump auto-stopped. I drove 2 miles and parked in the driveway and gas was dripping out on the far right rear corner. it was NOT coming from the drain hose from the filler neck area. The tank is dusty and so I can see that the filler neck hole on the side of the tank appears NOT to be leaking. So I assume gas is leaking from one of the gaskets on either the sending unit or the pickup. When the car arrived to me it had about 1/2 a tank and was not leaking and was odor free. I drove it 30 miles and it is not actively dripping any more, but the garage (and HOUSE!) smells badly of gas.

Short of dropping the tank, how can I tell if it's the pickup or the sending unit that's leaking?

Is is possible I have gas trapped inside the plastic tub/liner and that's why it smells? I got my hand with a towel all the way to the top of the tank at the pickup and it seems dry. I wiped as much of the top of the tank as I could from beneath lying on the ground.

I figure I'll try and drive it a lot tomorrow to bring the tank level down, despite the 40* temps. At least the seat heaters work.

I have a manual fuel pump on the engine.

How hard it is to drop the tank? I'm not sure my hydraulic quickjacks will fit under the car. I have to see where to jack the car up from. Suggestions welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
    Reviving an old thread...

I just got my new-to-me MKIV this week (wahoo!). Today was my first drive. I filled it up with gas until the pump auto-stopped. I drove 2 miles and parked in the driveway and gas was dripping out on the far right rear corner. it was NOT coming from the drain hose from the filler neck area. The tank is dusty and so I can see that the filler neck hole on the side of the tank appears NOT to be leaking. So I assume gas is leaking from one of the gaskets on either the sending unit or the pickup. When the car arrived to me it had about 1/2 a tank and was not leaking and was odor free. I drove it 30 miles and it is not actively dripping any more, but the garage (and HOUSE!) smells badly of gas.

Short of dropping the tank, how can I tell if it's the pickup or the sending unit that's leaking?

Is is possible I have gas trapped inside the plastic tub/liner and that's why it smells? I got my hand with a towel all the way to the top of the tank at the pickup and it seems dry. I wiped as much of the top of the tank as I could from beneath lying on the ground.

I figure I'll try and drive it a lot tomorrow to bring the tank level down, despite the 40* temps. At least the seat heaters work.

I have a manual fuel pump on the engine.

How hard it is to drop the tank? I'm not sure my hydraulic quickjacks will fit under the car. I have to see where to jack the car up from. Suggestions welcome!
    Here you go, don't even need to drop the tank.
    https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

17. Thanks Sigurd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it's safe to say my sending unit gasket is leaking. I couldn't go to sleep without knowing, so I put the car up on my QuickJacks (that was easier than expected) and looked around. Looking at the tank design, do you all agree that there's no way the leak can be coming from any other place than the sending unit gasket since it's in the middle of a valley, right? And the dust on the tank was only wet from the center out (meaning, gas didn't spill out of the pickup gasket and flow up and over the ridge and into the valley where the sending unit resides).

sending unit pic.JPG
    https://youtu.be/ybGdqmVyDV4

PFA:

20200208_234205_HDR.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the locking ring isn't fully tight

Post Thanks / Like
    check if fuel is weeping past the seal on the fuel gauge sender. Mine leaked after a few years when tank was reasonably full. leaked fuel got trapped in the plastic tank protector and stunk the place up. Replaced it with an O ring of larger cross sectional area. I also run a charcoal canister, but also have purge set up to my Coyote. I find my canister causes some pressurisation of the fuel tank. I suspect this may have assisted the fuel to get past the seal.

Overall it works as intended with no smell.

HTH, Cheers Nigel in South Oz

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Looks like the locking ring isn't fully tight
    Really? That would be relatively easy to fix! Here's another pic. Are you sure?
    I found this good close up vid:
    https://youtu.be/2C5u_t8u2pU?t=316

20200208_235544_HDR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    check if fuel is weeping past the seal on the fuel gauge sender. Mine leaked after a few years when tank was reasonably full. leaked fuel got trapped in the plastic tank protector and stunk the place up. Replaced it with an O ring of larger cross sectional area. I also run a charcoal canister, but also have purge set up to my Coyote. I find my canister causes some pressurisation of the fuel tank. I suspect this may have assisted the fuel to get past the seal.

Overall it works as intended with no smell.

HTH, Cheers Nigel in South Oz
    Nigel,
    I was worried about that issue (of gas being caught between the tank and the plastic cover). Did you have to drop the tank to clean that or did it eventually just dry/evaporate?

Can you tell I'm trying to avoid dropping my tank? lol

The car has 1300 miles on it, but is 6 years old. I just drove it 60+ miles this morning and 85 since filling up in hopes of getting the level down low enough to stop leaking and stinking up my house!

How big are these tanks? 15? When I filled up I had about 1/4 tank and I believe I took 14 gallons.
    Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 02-09-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the tank capacity is 14.6 gals.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Lock ring is in place correctly (see pic). I guess the gasket is bad. With 85 miles driven, it no longer smells up the garage and obviously, the top of the tank is dry. Good to know until I have time to address this. I'm not sure I can get the gasket in while working on my back without dropping the tank.

20200209_122120_HDR.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    I believe the tank capacity is 14.6 gals.
    JR
    It is actually 15.4 gallons.
    Frank