Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side Pipe Temperature

Post Thanks / Like

Side Pipe Temperature

OK, just doing some research on a possible project. Trying to find out how hot the side pipes get. Any info greatly appreciated.

I should mention that this is with J pipes, and the FIA side pipe.
    Last edited by EZ$; 02-08-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Fry eggs and melt polyesters. Or way above the burning point of flesh. Possibly 300-400 degrees.

My headers ran at 500+ 3" from the heads. Been a long time since I've checked, I could be off by a few hundred to the low side.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot enough to hear the sizzle before the pain!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Smoked my shins many times!

Post Thanks / Like
    After Four & 1/4 years of ownership the side-pipe temp has remained the same. This temp was taken (1/2 minute) after a one hour run in 90* LOVE !!! this little 302/345 073.JPG074.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot enough for a 3rd degree burn in less than a second. Ask my daughter how I know.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys. For those that have felt the pain of a "snake bite" you'll understand why I'm looking into this. I want to make a cloth like piece that will connect to the carpet along the inside bottom edge of the door opening. When you go to get out, you open the door, and flip the cloth piece out over the side pipe. Whether it ends up some type of welding blanket, or ???, I want to make sure it will protect against the heat of the side pipe. I know that I remember a thread some years ago, where they made exactly what I'm looking at, had them embroidered "These Pipes are Hot", so that they could put them on especially when they went to car shows, etc., so people wouldn't burn themselves. I definitely don't ever want this to happen to my wife, or anyone else that I might give a ride. I'm researching some different cloths that might be used for this. Not a big concern if the first start goes sideways, but just looking into it. Jim and Real Time, thanks for the actual temp readouts. They'll help when I speak with the cloth manufacturers.

Thanks again.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Used to be able to get these "side pipe blankets" from Backdraft or Superformance, single brain cell doesn't remember exactly.

Underside was Nomex®, outside was cotton with the same batting that they use for kitchen gloves or hot pads.

I mocked up a set about 12 years ago that would attach to the carpet just below the door sill with Velcro. When you got out you could just throw it out the door and it would cover the pipe. 18" to 20"(W) x 12" to 14"(L) seemed about right, whatever keeps it off the ground when in use.

Basically it was three layers of material: Nomex®, batting and the outer cotton in black. Was going to have it embroidered with my FFR # or a Shelby (type) Snake.

I believe you can get Nomex® on Amazon . . . Go here --> https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Aramid-U...s%2C230&sr=8-9

Never got around to making a final product . . .

HTH

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 02-08-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought an 18 x18 welding blanket. I drape it over the pipe if I have someone I expect will have trouble getting out. Fold it up and put behind the seat when done.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hit up bobl. His wife make really cool blankets with Snake Bite embroidered on it.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    I bought an 18 x18 welding blanket. I drape it over the pipe if I have someone I expect will have trouble getting out. Fold it up and put behind the seat when done.
    Jimoco,

That's A Great Idea Especially For Those Of Us Who Actually Like Our Wives!
    Thanks for this suggestion because I don't want Mrs. Go-Dad to become Mrs. Go-Mad!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    How about Drummer Mike's heat shields? They look good, and I haven't had a snake bite since I installed them!

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about the heat shields, but not my cup of tea. I think they look good on the 4 into 1 side pipes, but I'm not a fan on the FIA side pipes.
    Rick