Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: factory light switch with MK4 complete kit

Post Thanks / Like

factory light switch with MK4 complete kit

trying to figure out the factory light switch. the shaft with the knob seems to want to insert at a slight angle. when you raise it up into the center of the opening, this is what seems to allow the notch at the end of the shaft to catch in the internal latch which allows you to pull the switch forward. when you relax the shaft, allowing it to be offset a bit on the opening, the internal catch releases, allowing you to remove the shaft again

there is a set screw in the bottom of the knob. I'm thinking you're supposed to take the knob off, insert the shaft into the opening at a slight angle and then attach it to the dash using the nut/collar, which then raises the shaft into the center of the opening, thus allowing the notch in the end of the shaft to catch on to the latch inside the switch. otherwise the shaft just pulls out and never catches inside the switch.

i've removed the set screw, but cannot seem to remove the knob. tried placing the shaft in a bench vise and carefully tried tapping the back side of the knob off using a screwdriver wrapped in a towel and a dead blow hammer. only managed to bend the shaft. any better ideas on how to remove the knob?

Post Thanks / Like
    There should be a button on the switch body you push which releases the knob shaft.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    The knob itself threads onto the shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    The knob itself threads onto the shaft.
    Not unless something has changed in the multiple ones I've worked on. It's a tight mechanical fit with a set screw.

Posted this to the original question on the other forum: No reason to remove the knob unless you want to change the length of the shaft. The knob has nothing to do with how it latches into the switch. If you do need to change the length (e.g. sticks out from the dash even when pushed all the way in) remove the set screw, then will take some force to remove as you found out. It is a press fit. I've removed them without too much effort. Not sure why yours isn't cooperating. But maybe you don't need to remove it.

To put the shaft into the switch, it should go in at a pretty straight angle and you should hear/feel it click into place. No special angles or process is necessary. To remove it, pull the knob all the way out (e.g. headlight on position) then push the button that's on the bottom of the switch. The knob/shaft should let go and come the rest of the way out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected, must be getting old, I was thinking about the cigarette lighter knob threads on (billet ).