Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Carbon Fiber Dash - need advice on which to go with

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Fiber Dash - need advice on which to go with

Happy Holidays everyone. Planning to redo my dash in Carbon Fiber and really want to pick the right wrap/sticker. There are so many options that include glossy, matte, 3D, 4D, etc. What would you recommend that provides a great look?

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used 3M's 1080 vinyl (available on amazon). It's not too glossy & very easy to work with / install. However, I did find it to be fragile & easily nicked when installing the switches & gauges. I recommend painting the bare aluminum to match the color of the vinyl so that if you do get a nick you won't have bright shiny metal peeking through. Also, it may help to let the vinyl "cure" a couple of weeks before populating the dash.

Another option is tolex (https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/...ber-Tolex-54-W). I saved this link when another forum member posted that it's used to cover amplifiers for touring rock bands. If tolex can handle roadie abuse, it for sure will handle covering our dash. Give these guys a call & see if they'll send you a sample.

Whatever covering you use, you want to do any tightening on the back side of the dash so you don't scrape up the covering. Also be sure to follow up telling us what you chose, how you installed it, and how it turned out!

John

IMG_3561 by jhsitton, on Flickr

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

4. Thanks Aircontroller, AtlantaCobra thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John. Your dash looks great. Exactly what I'm looking for. By the way, I grew up in Manassas and spent a lot of time in Fairfax. Still call that area "home"

6. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used the same material as phileas_fogg. Hopefully there's a pic attached of mine here...
    3D0C6113 (1).jpg
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

8. Thanks AtlantaCobra thanked for this post
    Likes phileas_fogg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaCobra View Post
    Thanks John. Your dash looks great. Exactly what I'm looking for. By the way, I grew up in Manassas and spent a lot of time in Fairfax. Still call that area "home"
    Hah! I went to school at Georgia Tech. We're circling each other!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Way back when a friend did one of the FFR CF dashes. I kept thinking ricer CF w/ a heavy coat of glossy clear over it. When I finally got to his garage to check out his car I was surprised. It was maybe 5 minutes into the looking and talking when I remembered to look at the dash. It was fantastic because he went w/ a flat or maybe satin clear. So, yeah, much like Phileas's, you notice it's CF but it doesn't stand out like a spot light is on it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

11. Thanks AtlantaCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Fibre Dash

I did an FFR carbon fibre dash and console on my MkIII. I found the FFR carbon fibre had flaws along the bottom edge and FFR sent me two replacement panels that were better but thin and still had flaws. I laminated two panels together and came up with a good result that was stiff and only needed anchoring at the ends and dash frame where I mounted a passenger hand hold. I wondered about a clear coat but was concerned that if it got scratched it would be a nuisance to fix so I used a polishing compound and buffing wheel and it turned out great. I was concerned that if you used a wrap it woud stand out and look decal cheap. I trimmed the bottom with an alum and wood trim to match the steering wheel and console I built . The console is inlaid with true carbon fibre sheet. The wood and alum trim offsets the carbon fibre giving it quite a classy look. I have received lots of complements on the interior as I think it harkens back to many cars of this period that had interior wood trim while the CF gives it a more contemporary look.Polish_20200108_124204881.jpg
    Sorry can't get image to rotate correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Way back when a friend did one of the FFR CF dashes. I kept thinking ricer CF w/ a heavy coat of glossy clear over it. When I finally got to his garage to check out his car I was surprised. It was maybe 5 minutes into the looking and talking when I remembered to look at the dash. It was fantastic because he went w/ a flat or maybe satin clear. So, yeah, much like Phileas's, you notice it's CF but it doesn't stand out like a spot light is on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RobCYoung; 01-08-2020 at 02:58 PM.

13. Likes AtlantaCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I built #3917 I put the FFR CF Dash in it. I'm not a Fan, things Will Rattle against it. I know very few consider it but the more unusual stuff you do to a car will effect the Sale (one day).

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, I love how it turned out. And your car appears to be the same color combo as mine so it helps to get an idea of how it will look. Very well done.

-Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also do a real CF veneer laminated to the aluminum dash sourced from Protech Composites (Vancouver, WA):

59245265-6619-4548-95B3-61F1BE6A5995.jpg
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

17. Thanks AtlantaCobra thanked for this post
    Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a fair comparison to the FFR dash you have to look at the new ones, those are formed in an autoclave and come sprayed in a flat clear. They were used in the 25th Anniversary car and there are more pics in the gallery: https://www.factoryfive.com/gallerie...-studio-shots/

H41A0259.jpg

Whichever way you decide to go I highly recommend the flat finish as it cuts down on the glare and in my opinion looks higher end. (This from someone who has the old gloss style and dash envy)
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

19. Thanks AtlantaCobra thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    For a fair comparison to the FFR dash you have to look at the new ones, those are formed in an autoclave and come sprayed in a flat clear. They were used in the 25th Anniversary car and there are more pics in the gallery: https://www.factoryfive.com/gallerie...-studio-shots/

H41A0259.jpg

Whichever way you decide to go I highly recommend the flat finish as it cuts down on the glare and in my opinion looks higher end. (This from someone who has the old gloss style and dash envy)

It Is Assistance Like This That Makes Factory Five A Great Company!

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Fibre Dash

Thanks Greg, its amazing how a little interior detail makes the world of difference in taking away the "kit car" feel.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaCobra View Post
    Rob, I love how it turned out. And your car appears to be the same color combo as mine so it helps to get an idea of how it will look. Very well done.

-Greg